Author Topic: Dangit...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Dangit...
« on: June 05, 2023, 11:42:07 PM »
I like to prep the next build for the following fall/winter before I close up my shop for the summer.  Almost there for this year, had the barrel inlet, open part of the RR channel cut, buttplate and trigger guard filed and polished, breech plug shaped and inlet, only things left were rough profile on the band saw and drill the RR hole.  Wouldn't ya know it, gun #31 and finally had my first RR hole wander and come out the bottom near the trigger guard.   >:(  No real worries on fiixing or covering it, just not the best way to wrap up the season.  Of course it was the best looking, most expensive stock I've done so far, too.  #$@*
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Dangit...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 12:50:34 AM »
A friend gave me a bottle of "Damitol"that covers these situations and they also cure fits,freckles and flatulence.
Bob Roller

Offline TDM

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 04:49:31 AM »
A friend gave me a bottle of "Damitol"that covers these situations and they also cure fits,freckles and flatulence.
Bob Roller

I could probably use a case, maybe 2, of “Damitol”.

Offline deerstalkert

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 08:13:44 AM »
my wife has learned to not ask "what happened?" when she hears "Oh, for crying out loud" emanating from the shop, usually followed by Damitall!
she sees me with the long 3/8 drill and finds something she needs in town. forearm protectors are becoming my trade mark.!

Offline duca

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 01:08:20 PM »
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 05:12:24 PM »
Worst part is that I've got to look at it and think about it all year until I get back in the shop regularly in the fall.    :(

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 05:21:09 PM »
Worst part is that I've got to look at it and think about it all year until I get back in the shop regularly in the fall.    :(
That much time and you will have worked out thoroughly any of the problems that you have with it.
 I’ve got a slight itch to get back into the shop.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline BarryE

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 05:33:14 PM »
This is entertaining.  (Sorry Osprey, I don’t like that it’s at your expense.)
I read it all to my wife and she wondered if “Damitol” come in an extra strength version? Hey, wait a minute, she’s talking about me!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 06:14:40 PM »
This sort of disaster is why I seldom ever made guns even though I had no "catastrostrokes"as the late great "Schnozolla"Jimmy Durante**
described them.Avoiding wrecking a lock was about all I could do.** Jimmy Durante was a comedian when I was a grade schooler living in Chicago in a predomenently German neighborhood during WW2 and he was funny.TODAY is the 79th anniversary of the Allied invasion at
Normandy on the French coast and all of the American-British and Canadian troops knew they would not be greeted with a handshake from
Field Marschall Rommel.We had a neighbor here in Huntington WVa whose German father visited her twice a year and he was a gunner in a Panzer 6-2,King Tiger and he was appalled at the American Sherman tanks whose shots bounced off that Tiger and his return fire would make a real mess of those small tanks and no survivors seen.Some of the people in that neighborhood had friends and relatives in the German army but they knew better than to brag about it.
Bob Roller

Offline Rmjchas

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 06:29:48 PM »
It's going to happen to everyone at some point.  Just last week I had a drill wander and come out under the barrel.  "Damitol" sounds pretty good, but I thing every shop needs a "moaning chair"  where you can sit and ponder the vagaries of the universe....

Mine got a workout last week for sure.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 07:14:41 PM »
Yep, been there-done that but I was lucky it came out in the barrel channel too. It's nice to have a buddy there when you redrill as you will be on the far end running the drill and buddy can keep an eye on the progress.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 08:26:14 PM »
This is entertaining.  (Sorry Osprey, I don’t like that it’s at your expense.)
I read it all to my wife and she wondered if “Damitol” come in an extra strength version? Hey, wait a minute, she’s talking about me!

Just my turn, that's all.  I don't even count coming out into the barrel channel, that's easy and no sweat.  Grain really grabbed this one or something, everything lines up great setup wise, couldn't tell until I started slabbing off wood on the blank.  On the plus side this was going to be a fancy MD style, so I may play with a nice brass wear plated under the full forestock.   ;D

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 09:25:22 PM »
I know you will be able to cover it with a wearplate…… But what are you going to do to get the drill bit to go where you want?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline BarryE

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2023, 12:52:42 AM »
I would take out a section below the barrel, remove what I need to so that the RR channel is where I want it, and replace the section I removed.  It will be invisible from the outside and if mated properly probably with the barrel out too.  A wear plate would be entirely appropriate here.