Author Topic: Need advice for new project  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
Need advice for new project
« on: June 06, 2023, 10:47:34 PM »
I plan on building a SMR using a new 32 caliber barrel I picked up recently. The octagon barrel is 42 inches long and measures 3/4 of an inch across the flats. I intend to buy a stock that has the barrel channel and ramrod hole already done.  I've done some looking and the smallest barrel channels seem to be 13/16ths.  Does anyone know where I can get a full-length SMR stock with a 3/4-inch barrel channel?  I assume that the ramrod hole should be 5/16ths for a 32 caliber rifle.

I have a Ketland lock from TotW that I intend to use in this build.  It this lock correct for a SMR?   

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Need advice for new project
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:50:42 PM »
Try calling Dave at Knob Mountain.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 12:43:12 AM »
A Late Ketland lock would be appropriate.
Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 02:42:51 AM »
That is a small barrel and because of the diminutive size I think the late Kentland lock would not give you the results you desire. I think a better choice would be a Manton type lock, as it is smaller in width. Because of the size of the barrel everything else is on the small side. When I use a barrel of this size I work from a blank, as it's much easier. It sounds like you are looking at using a pre-carve stock

Offline tfornicola

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 02:53:03 PM »
Give Mark Weader a call, 717-543-5370. He may be able to help you out. Good Luck!

Offline rsells

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 08:04:13 AM »
Paul,
I have used Mark Weader to do barrel groves in the past, and he does good work. I have attached a photo of a 3/4 inch across the flats .29 cal. 44inch barrel that I made using a late Ketland lock, Davis #4 triggers, and hand forged hardware.  The parts made a good looking rifle that shot well.  Good luck with your project.

Roger Sells

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 12:58:27 PM »
Paul,
I have used Mark Weader to do barrel groves in the past, and he does good work. I have attached a photo of a 3/4 inch across the flats .29 cal. 44inch barrel that I made using a late Ketland lock, Davis #4 triggers, and hand forged hardware.  The parts made a good looking rifle that shot well.  Good luck with your project.

Roger Sells

I used Mark Weader for almost all of my stock work for over 20 years. His work has always been great I highly recommend him. He also has several SMR patterns if you want him to duplicate one for you. He may have a stock blank on hand if you need one.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 11:00:16 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the advice.   I test fit the Ketland lock to the barrel and it looks somewhat out of proportion (too large for the barrel flat).  However, Roger's gun shows that it can be done.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 05:19:56 PM by Paul from KY »

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 07:55:22 AM »
Paul,
The photo's attached are of the first rifle I built from a board many years ago.  It has hand forged hardware and a 3/4 across the flats 32 cal H&H 42 inch barrel.  I used the small L&R flint and Davis #4 triggers.  I did not get the mortis areas around the lock shaped as it should have been,  but I was happy with the rifle at the time.  I am planning on building another rifle similar to this one for myself using a 32 cal Rice barrel with a similar lock that Bob Roller made for me using the small L&R flint plate, cock, and frizzen.  Hopefully, I will do a better job profiling the lock mortis this time.  This little walnut rifle shot great and it was a bit easier to build than the .29.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 08:06:35 PM by rsells »

Online Clowdis

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2023, 04:05:36 PM »
I'll give another vote for Mark Weader. Excellent work!

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
TotW has a John Bailes small lock that is described as a small Manton, baby Durs Egg, or small English flint lock.  Would this lock be a better fit than the Ketland lock?

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2023, 07:01:03 PM »
The Chambers late Ketland would be my choice. I don’t think it is too big for that barrel. Here’s a picture of a slender rifle with a swamp barrel that is just barely over 3/4 of an inch at the breech.  I could have even thinned the lock moldings some more, but still doesn’t look big at all to me.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline rsells

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2023, 08:14:17 PM »
I agree with J. Talbert.  My go to factory lock for TN rifles is the late Ketland.  It is a very reliable, fast, and the profile of the plate makes a good looking rifle.
                                                                            Roger Sells