Author Topic: Flintlock plains style rifle  (Read 1690 times)

Offline maudite

• Starting Member
Flintlock plains style rifle
« on: June 07, 2023, 08:28:45 AM »
Have come across this flinter and am thinking on picking it up what’s do you think

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Flintlock plains style rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2023, 03:39:35 PM »
If you like it and everything functions well, maybe think what it would cost to have it built. A .58 in that style would not be comfortable for me for 20 shots but hunting would be fine. I’m assuming you’re a lefty.
Andover, Vermont

Offline maudite

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2023, 04:24:19 PM »
It s a 50cal with a 32 inch barrel.I would use it primary for hunting

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2023, 06:14:28 PM »
Recoil should be no problem then.
Andover, Vermont

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 08:16:00 PM »
From your photos, it looks like a nicely made rifle.  I see in the second pic that there is a tag on it that says, "Hawken flintlock 50 cal."  Forgive my jumping on this:  it no more resembles a Hawken than a Lada resembles a Lincoln.  It is simply a half stocked flintlock rifle.  But once you are past that, it is still a nicely made rifle that will give you years of pleasure, both in shooting and in just adding it to your stable.
I see it has a John Clark lock from Tottenham Ontario.  Parts for this lock are no longer available as far as I know, but the one I had was a decent lock.  Replace that piece of brick or whatever is in the cock's jaw's (barely) with a real flint, seated right back to the jaw screw, if you please.
If the bore is good, and the price suits you, buy it without regret.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2023, 10:43:35 PM »
MAYbe Hawken inspired but it is a good looking rifle and the Clark lock is not common.I have made several using these external parts in the right hand version.The gun is not a replica but is a representation.John Clark is long deceased and I have no idea where the moulds went he used to make these nice locks.
Bob Roller

Offline Top Jaw

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 11:40:02 AM »
I get more of an English Sporting Rifle vibe from it.  Although with a brass crescent buttplate. 

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2023, 10:27:21 PM »
If I were left handed, and the price was reasonable,   ….,,, I’d buy it.   Looks to be a well made gun that would be a pleasure to shoot.
Mike Mullins

Offline Splitear

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2023, 10:31:12 PM »
Sharp looking rifle from the outside. As long as it's mechanically sound and the bore is in good shape, you should have a nice rifle (unless you're a righty). Can't see the price tag on it, but it looks like it's under $1000, which probably isn't a bad price.

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 04:33:25 AM »
The stock work seems to be good quality from the pictures.  Fifty caliber is a good all around caliber for hunting most medium to larger game.  Seems like a nice rifle assuming the bore is good..  I would not get too hung up on how the rifle is labeled.  Just have some fun.

Offline TDM

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 02:49:50 AM »
I’m right handed, but I know it’s frustrating to find a variety of left handed guns. I think the fit and finish are very nice. If the bore is good it should make you a fine shooter. Hard to go wrong with a .50 cal, very versatile.