Author Topic: Coil Worms?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Panzerschwein

Coil Worms?
« on: June 09, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »
Anyone ever use the coil type trade gun worms?

I tapered the ramrod for my trade gun and when screwed on a bit, it’s incredibly secure. Grips on like a Chinese finger trap when you pull on it.

Tow wraps around it nicely. Takes up very little space in the shooting bag and weighs next to nothing, and is period. I like them.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
Re: Coil Worms?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
They work well as long as you don't mind them chewing up your rammer a little on the inner end.  They really should be some type of spring steel (someone used to sell them in stainless too) so they don't 'de-coil' or stretch out in the middle of use. 

I have no idea if they have any historical basis.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 07:16:04 PM »
They work well as long as you don't mind them chewing up your rammer a little on the inner end.  They really should be some type of spring steel (someone used to sell them in stainless too) so they don't 'de-coil' or stretch out in the middle of use. 

I have no idea if they have any historical basis.

Thanks, Eric. The ones I got are from Track of the Wolf. They do appear to be spring steel as they do not distort when pulled on and spring back nicely.

They’re pretty well documented for the Indian trade at least in the Rocky Mountain fur trade period. Natives enjoyed them and even used them for decorations in their hair etc.

Offline Spalding

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 08:20:42 PM »
You can also whittle some threads on the ramrod.

Bob

Offline TDM

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 08:43:40 PM »

Bob

That’s a good idea.

Offline Panzerschwein

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 09:23:46 PM »

Bob

Love it, Bob.