Author Topic: Tang Sight Parts  (Read 613 times)

Offline johngross

Tang Sight Parts
« on: June 08, 2023, 02:08:10 AM »
I don't see a gunsmithing forum so I hope this is ok, as it's not a gun building question.

A rifle I'm considering buying is missing two parts of the tang sight. The sight pictured below is what it SHOULD look like. There are four parts pictured. I'll use my terminology though others may use different terms.

No. 1 is the staff: No 2 the aperture (eye cup): No. 3 a beveled/dovetailed female part which the aperture screws into (this is the lighter, silver colored part you see with the hole in the center): And No. 4 the slider which slides up and down the staff for elevation adjustment, and which has a corresponding dovetail to accept the female part.

The two parts missing are No's 2 and 3, the aperture and dovetailed female part the aperture screws into. 

Should I purchase the rifle I need to factor in having someone making these two parts, or modifying similar parts available from a supplier. I don't need a price estimate at this time but I'm trying to determine if it's reasonably doable, forget about it don't waste your time, or something in between.

Thank you.

Offline Steeltrap

Re: Tang Sight Parts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 02:58:17 PM »
Do an internet search. There are many, many videos and step by step instructions on how to build a tang sight. If you have most of the sight, and some metal skills, files, and a drill press, it won't be that difficult.

Offline snapper

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 03:17:26 PM »
John

I think it boils down to what is the rifle worth to you.   Are you willing to spend potentially several hundreds of dollars for the replacement parts to be made and the length of time for it to be done?

A few years ago I bought a Rigby percussion rifle that was missing its rear peep sight and the front sight was not original.  It cost me a few dollars to have everything put back to as near original condition as possible.  For me and what I wanted to do with the rifle it was worth it and it just increased the value of the rifle.

You also have to find someone that has the knowledge and ability to do the work.   I was fortunate to know Jim Westberg and he was the perfect person to do the work on my rifle.  Jim had unbelievable talent and unfortunately, he is no longer with us.

If you buy the rifle Lee Shaver might be a good one to do the work for you.  Lee is not really taking on any new work, but if it interests him, he just might.   Be prepared to wait.  I dropped off a rifle for Lee to work on 8 months or so ago and I don't believe he has started on it yet.  Lee makes rear peep sights, and it might be a fairly simple job for him.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline bobw

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 06:09:35 PM »
I would send a picture of the sight and what you need to Mike Richards at oldsight@loretel.net.  He has thousands of old sights and has helped me with some really unusual stuff.  Beyond that there is ebay, which can be tough.  The ASSRA forum would also be a very good source if you join and ask this question.  Single shot cartridge gun use lots of this type of sight.  I know there is at least one guy that looks for machining challenges but don’t know how he charges.  Any of the parts for that sight can be made by any competent machinist.  Not say I’m competent, but this is a sight I made for rifle of mine.  This is a hobby for me so sorry, I’m not looking for work!
Bob

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 03:30:56 AM »
Nice work on that sight Bob...love those tamper proof screws ;)
Cheers Richard

Offline bobw

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 04:23:28 AM »
Wondered if anyone would see that!
Bob

Offline johngross

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 06:29:50 PM »
Thanks to all of you for the responses and suggestions.

And bobw, that is beautiful work on the sight. And flatsguide's comment about the "tamper proof"  :) screws reminded me of how some military rifle-muskets of the era had such screws to reduce the likelihood of soldiers in the field from messing with their sights.

Offline mjohnson

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 07:29:36 PM »
FYI, according to Steve Garbe on page 44 of the current issue of "Black Powder Cartridge News", Montana Vintage Arms is coming out with a tang mounted muzzleloader sight for $195. I have a number of their sights on my BPCR guns and they are of the highest quality.- Mike