Author Topic: Round to octagon barrel grinding jig  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
Round to octagon barrel grinding jig
« on: June 10, 2023, 02:45:15 PM »
There’s been some discussion on the Gun Building forum about grinding octagon flats on a round barrel. Here is a jig built in our shop for grinding flats using an angle grinder. It’s easy to build and easy to use. It’s a simple machine made of scrap lumber, angle iron and steel plate. The steel top plates help to guide the grinder to keep the flats even side to side and from going too deep. Wood blocks the plates are fastened to have a slight amount of swamp.

The barrel blank is held in place by V block clamps on both ends.

V block height is adjustable up and down to provide taper of the flat.

A scrap piece of octagon barrel fits in one V block to serve as the flat index.

It is welded to a full length mandrel threaded on the opposite end. A nut and washer keep it tight. It is kept centered by a turned insert. That's the brown thing between the washer and barrel.

To use all one has to do is set the angle of taper, clamp the blank to the jig, grind one flat, index the blank to the next flat and grind.

Repeat until all flats are ground to shape.

Draw filing and sanding is all that’s needed to finish a new barrel.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Re: Round to octagon barrel grinding jig
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 12:22:38 PM »
I'll give that a nifty!
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 07:52:20 PM »
Very clever and may be useful for some - good idea. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline 2 shots

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 04:59:55 AM »
 :) nice

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2023, 02:02:58 AM »
Very clever way to accomplish a tough job> Hats off to you!
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2023, 07:44:09 PM »
Thanks guys. A physics professor one time said "Mr. Hank, why do you constantly try to reinvent the wheel?" My reply? "I don't. Just trying to find a better way to make it go 'round and 'round."

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.