Author Topic: Restore original Jaeger Rifle  (Read 2250 times)

Offline runastav

Restore original Jaeger Rifle
« on: June 11, 2023, 09:12:05 PM »
Hi all!
This Jaeger needs a lot of LTC! The stock is broken several places etc. It is converted from flintlock to percussion but I like it nice hammer and snailhose ;)Barrel L 30-1/2" cal BIGG!
Runar

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
Re: Restore original Jaeger Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
Runar, no doubt you will give it all the attention it needs. Lock conversion is interesting. Looking forward to see how this project progresses.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 02:22:34 PM »
How do you suppose a gun like that ended up with brown bess parts on it?  I'm guessing this is a Swedish rifle?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 04:31:01 PM »
Mike,
I had one similar in some ways, parts looked Bess, but a size smaller.  Barrel showed no sign of ever having a rear sight, unless filed off at breech.  Had a cheekpiece though.
Traded it to Joe P.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 09:19:02 PM »
Call me a neanderthal, but since it's not really a 'high art' piece worth big $$$, why not clean up the barrel bore (if you wish to shoot it) and restock it?  Serious question.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline runastav

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
Hi all, and thank you guys!Mike , yes they looking BB but like Pukka  said much smaller ;)Swedish? dont know yet very litle markings but we can notice where the bayonet attachment was before removed.And a number on the barrel. Eric, yes it will be a shooter and I will try to sawe the original stock by gluing(Brownells ;))And around the lockplate I will reinforse it like Mark Novak (ANVIL) do when reper a Ferguson rifle. And yes I like Anvil much to learn from him :)
Runar

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 04:27:55 AM »
I honestly believe this man can weld water to wood 8) 8)
Its always a joy to see his work.

Keep it up bro. You da man! Dave F 8) 8)

Online alacran

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2023, 02:13:06 PM »
The number 23 on the barrel may suggest a military rack #.  Though typically those are found on the tang. It may be a units number designation.
May not be high art but the architecture lends itself to a big bore rifle. It may have been a light infantry Jaeger Corps.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline runastav

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 12:51:58 PM »
Thank you guys! I need a woodmill , made one from a car screw(BMW) no hardening work great in wood ;)Glued in the steel strips as anvil do it .And now its hanging for drying the oil (Danish oil) and the stock was thirstier than a drunken sailor 😂
Runar

Offline Hank01

• Let's build a classic 18th century English style double barrel sporting gun!
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 01:53:30 PM »
Runar, your work is amazing! Can't find the right tool for the job? Make it. True gunsmithing in its purest form.

Hank
Yes, I did write a book. It's called The Classic English Double Barrel Click the little globe between my profile and e-mail link to check it out.

Offline runastav

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2023, 06:25:55 PM »
Hi all! and thank you Hank01! Sometime I build up missing wood with epoxy and wood dust and then it can be formed to original shape.The sideplite was broken so it was silversoldet ;)
Runar

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2023, 02:48:05 AM »
Always enjoy viewing your work, great to bring stuff back to service

Mark Novac used to be a member of our black powder shooting club. He went and got real busy in his shop with his anvil series.
I have viewed some nice pieces in his shop. He had a flinter double in his shop for repairs, was owned by a declaration signer.
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline runastav

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 06:22:52 PM »
Hi all! And thank you Mule Brain! Did Mark smoke cigar when shooting black powder hehe;)Lucky you have him in the neighborhood!
The lock is repaired, 2 new screws ,new sear toa sharp-sighted will see it :)
Runar

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 05:03:34 AM »
Major undertaking!  A repair of the stock is a no-brainer and should be done of course.  Just a thought but I'd be tempted to make a new stock for the rifle and shoot it that way.  But the repaired stock could be switched when you wanted to show the original rifle.  I'd be mighty tempted to return it back to flint - just thinking out loud.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline runastav

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi all! and thank you hanshi!The rifle is now done, and it will be in my privat collection but will be testshooted ofcoarse ;)I have plenty og guns to shoot so dont worry.Nex I must prepare Blackpowder Nasjonal next weekend :) The caliber is 17mm over the lands(67?)and we dont know who make it! Last photos show the rifle with my 2 scrath build jegerrifles D/N  1803 and 1821
Runar