Author Topic: Ballistol as patch lube, too?  (Read 2915 times)

Offline hudson

Re: Ballistol as patch lube, too?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2023, 03:10:21 AM »
I have been using Ballistol/water at 20/80 mix fore years as a patch lube, one rifle likes a 50/50 mix. After cleaning I use it strait on a patch in the barrel then wipe down the hole rifle including the stalk, finish with wiping of the excess with a paper towel.

Offline Naphtali

• Starting Member
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 01:41:52 AM »
Regarding Ballistol's stink, those who hunt deer and elk while using it, do these animals react to it? Are they repelled, or are they attracted to its odor?

Were I to practice with a Ballistol mixture and hunt with less corrosion inducing patch lube having zero Ballistol, what sort of 75-yard point of aim accuracy change should I expect? What I'm asking is whether a change would routinely be significant?

Offline alacran

« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2023, 01:11:46 PM »
Regarding Ballistol's stink, those who hunt deer and elk while using it, do these animals react to it? Are they repelled, or are they attracted to its odor?

Were I to practice with a Ballistol mixture and hunt with less corrosion inducing patch lube having zero Ballistol, what sort of 75-yard point of aim accuracy change should I expect? What I'm asking is whether a change would routinely be significant?

Humans stink far more than Ballistol. I use bear lubed patches, my dog is highly attracted to them. If my dog can smell it, game can. I have gotten really close to animals while using these patch material.
As far as point of aim accuracy, you are just going to have to try it and see for yourself.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass