Author Topic: Need ideas for old hides.  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Rt5403

Need ideas for old hides.
« on: June 25, 2023, 02:39:54 AM »
I was recently given an old otter and bobcat hide. Want to try and make something out of them but need inspiration.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Need ideas for old hides.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 03:59:29 AM »
I’ve seen archery quivers encased in otter skin.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jeff Murray

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 05:01:32 AM »
I have seen a "cased" hide that was beaded on the belly side and used as a storage container.  It was very impressive.

Offline Rado

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 03:26:17 PM »
A bobcat cloak for your housecat so he can scare the &%$# out of the neighbors dogs.
But seriously, I think  predator furs come coolest in correlation with weapons. Like a furry hunting bag. Keeps the spirit of this animal where it belongs.
Born in Poland, living in Germany. Just a guy who loves history, ideas of freedom and handicrafts.

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 08:00:58 PM »
If large enough, a cape for your hunting shirt or frock.
Also, good for hats

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2023, 07:57:09 PM »
I was recently given an old otter and bobcat hide. Want to try and make something out of them but need inspiration.

Depending how old they are, dampen the leather slightly with water and see if the hide tears easily. A lot of older tanning methods deteriorate with age. If it tears easy when damp, they may not be worth investing a lot of time in.

Otter fur wears very well and is quite durable. Bobcat is a finer fur, more delicate. The 'cat would make a nice hat, or low use item.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2023, 12:53:38 AM »
I have seen otter fur hat bands that were quite nice..

Offline JohnnyFM

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 07:45:03 PM »
Otter: in addition to the great ideas already mentioned, one can make a stormy kromer style cap with ear flaps and a thick leather brim. Very HC. Warm and pretty water resistant. Line it as an option.

Bobcat: I have seen several original pommel holsters for one’s horse pistol lined with leopard skin. You might try bobcat. You can google for pics. You might use the belly if it’s got some nice spots.