Author Topic: Round bottom for Long Range  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Leatherbark

Re: Round bottom for Long Range
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2023, 03:37:48 PM »
Look up a guy, if I remember correctly named "Idaho Lewis" on YouTube.  On his channel he does really well using conical bullets with percussion rifles at long range out to 1000 yards.  Even a standard Thompson Center 50 caliber Renegade will ring the gongs out to 500 yards or so with the proper bullet.

Bob

Offline Daryl

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2023, 06:23:24 PM »
Daryl

I always assumed that you were shooting at a target up on the hill. :P

Fleener

LOL - that rifle is a brute from prone. Had to wear a PAST shoulder protector for a couple years while torn cartilage healed up. Good now,
but not from prone.
The shoulder protector is vital, I would think, from prone. The elbow pads would save those, as well.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2023, 06:49:39 PM »
Thats why you see so many shooting " pads " on the firing line for 1000 yd matches and shooters wearing jackets with shoulder inserts.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 12:33:45 AM by smylee grouch »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2023, 09:35:07 PM »
 I always get a little concerned when I hear anybody who hasn’t hunted much with a muzzleloader start talking about long range, and big game hunting. I do understand the round ball, and the conical bullet, will carry a long way, but a steel target, or a paper bullseye, are not the same as big game. These bullet will physically carry to a game animal way the heck out there, but they have lost most of their effectiveness.
 My son had a hunters safety instructor that got his first muzzleloader and decided to kill an elk with it. I told him it takes a lot shocking power to kill an elk. He’s a very stubborn guy, but, willing to listen to somebody who has been shooting Black powder for 50 years. He built a target to measure not only penetration, but also shock value. In the end he got a fine trophy bull with one shot at 96 yards, and said after testing his muzzleloader he wouldn’t take a shot on big game at over 100 yards.

Hungry Horse

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2023, 05:24:05 AM »
Thats why you see so many shooting " pads " on the firing line for 1000 yd matches and shooters wearing jackets with shoulder inserts.  ;)
I have both for sale, just haven't had a chance to take pics yet.  May post them up tomorrow.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson