Author Topic: July postal match  (Read 4251 times)

Offline okawbow

• West Tennessee/ Southern Illinois
July postal match
« on: July 01, 2023, 03:43:43 PM »
How about 9 holes of golf? All shots from 25 yards.
You may color in the par area if you have trouble seeing it.

3 shots at the top hole from a rest. 6 shots at the lower hole offhand.

Scoring. Lowest score wins. Any hits outside the scoring rings are “out of bounds”, and are counted +3 strokes.
Good Luck!
https://www.targets.ws/shooting-targets/golf-target-3-red.pdf
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 03:59:18 PM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Maven

Re: July postal match
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2023, 04:11:40 PM »
My wife, the golfer in the family, would love this one!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2023, 06:20:11 PM »
Looks like fun!!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jakob

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2023, 06:41:13 PM »
Evil!! I like it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »
Yes, shooting Birdies with rifles.  ;D

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 02:51:55 PM »
Well, this is quickly devolving into who can come up with the most absurd targets. This is a phenomenon that afflicts most muzzleloading clubs.
Not satisfied that in general, perfect scores on an NMLRA 25-yard 6 bull target are seldom if ever posted (less than a handful in NMLRA records).
People insist on wasting lead and powder on targets that are quantitatively more difficult and call it fun. At the same time discouraging beginners.
I shot last month's target with a rifle whose trigger is giving me fits. The target didn't help any.
Not sure if I will get time to shoot this target, but maybe I will. Or I may just practice getting a perfect score on a 25-yard 6 bull target.
I believe that it was Taylor who stated, and I am paraphrasing, this is supposed to be a test of marksmanship and not a test of eyesight.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 02:55:29 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Maven

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2023, 04:41:26 PM »
alacran makes an excellent point, but how can we separate marksmanship from eyesight?  (Btw, I realize the former, like most things is improved by practice and the latter by corrective lenses, changed sights., etc., but still alacran's point is well taken.)
Paul W. Brasky

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2023, 05:43:24 PM »
alacran makes an excellent point, but how can we separate marksmanship from eyesight?  (Btw, I realize the former, like most things is improved by practice and the latter by corrective lenses, changed sights., etc., but still alacran's point is well taken.)
I 2nd that!/Ed

Offline okawbow

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2023, 07:52:52 PM »
Whoever wins this match can choose the next one…..

More incentive to practice harder. There is an element of chance in this target. I thought that would appeal to those who had a hard time on the last one. A challenging target makes you a better shot. After all; most game doesn’t walk around with a round bullseye on it’s side. Round targets can be fit to sight inserts to give advantage to the target crowd.
 Chuck
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2023, 01:12:44 AM »
There is an element of chance in this target.

There's a huge element of chance every time I pull the trigger!
Mike Lee

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2023, 01:43:28 AM »
10 over par on my first attempt. My bench shooting was worse than offhand! Head scratcher. I’ll be back.
Andover, Vermont

Offline okawbow

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2023, 04:33:29 AM »
You’re at the top of the leaderboard Rich! Qi

Offline Jakob

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2023, 08:28:24 AM »
I'll make a version with coloured 'par' marking tomorrow. That should make it easier on the eyes.

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2023, 02:26:48 PM »
Jakob the only thing that would help this target is to make everything outside the hole's boundary black.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 02:30:52 PM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2023, 04:02:14 PM »
Feel free to color the target inside or outside the lines to make it more visible. As long as you can still see the lines.

Offline Maven

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2023, 07:16:25 PM »
I think I'm going to need one of my wife's golf clubs for this:  Lob wedge anyone?
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Jakob

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2023, 02:35:19 AM »
Well, this is quickly devolving into who can come up with the most absurd targets. This is a phenomenon that afflicts most muzzleloading clubs.
Not satisfied that in general, perfect scores on an NMLRA 25-yard 6 bull target are seldom if ever posted (less than a handful in NMLRA records).
People insist on wasting lead and powder on targets that are quantitatively more difficult and call it fun. At the same time discouraging beginners.
I shot last month's target with a rifle whose trigger is giving me fits. The target didn't help any.
Not sure if I will get time to shoot this target, but maybe I will. Or I may just practice getting a perfect score on a 25-yard 6 bull target.
I believe that it was Taylor who stated, and I am paraphrasing, this is supposed to be a test of marksmanship and not a test of eyesight.

I believe the 'difficult' targets make you a better shooter. The squirrel one, I couldn't see most of the actual bulleyes, but I knew where on the paper they were and aimed for that.  Wont get anyone sticking 'spotters' on wildlife and that was my interpretation of the challenge.

The one I posted, You could play it safe or you could take risks. At the same time, targets like that will challenge you, as most will, whether they intend to or not, play it safe, so for me it's a battle to just go for the 10's.

This golf target, at 25 meters, should, with a little colouring, be easy for everyone to see.
It's a small target for offhand, but again, a regular bullseye wont be any bigger if you want to have a competitive score.
On the same note, I didn't enjoy the period of repeated bullseyes at 25m rest. My primary goal is to become a better shooter offhand, but I still take part in these, because it's still a challenge and like the current target, I do believe it'll improve my shooting.

Similarly, the weather is now nice and unlike the winter where I'm lucky to get one day warm enough to actually shoot, it's much easier now to go shoot both the monthly target and whatever other target I'll fancy.

I really think we should just embrace the variation, challenge ourselves and have fun. We're not 'winning' anything here anyway.

Offline alacran

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2023, 02:14:15 PM »
I agree with you I didn't like the repeated rest shoots at 25 yards either.
 I don't understand your meaning that "a regular bullseye won't be bigger if you want to have a competitive score". The target you posted had a black that was easy to see. But the shape gave it greater difficulty. I used it to try to figure out the problem with my single set trigger in my .40 cal. squirrel rifle.
I figured out the problem and the solution, which is to replace it with a double set trigger.
If you want to be a better shooter offhand, you need to consistently shoot at targets you can see which, which will let you know if you are improving your offhand marksmanship skills.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 02:20:31 PM by alacran »

Offline Jakob

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2023, 07:22:25 PM »
Well, I would argue that being able to judge how much to move the sight off a known point in order to hit a target is also an important marksman skill.
That's how I approach these 'hard to see' targets.
You have the corners of the targets, so use those for references.

Also apologies for not getting the coloured versions done yesterday..ended up being a long day at work. Should get it done tonight.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2023, 09:29:46 PM »
Here's a quick mock-up:

Will this make it easier on the eyes?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2023, 09:30:33 PM »
Much better!
Andover, Vermont

Offline okawbow

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2023, 10:52:38 PM »
Thanks Jacob! Looks good.

Offline alacran

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2023, 11:26:52 PM »
That is way better Jakob.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2023, 07:59:39 AM »
Updated PDF.
Should fit on standard 8.5x11" paper:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l_3bWCFSRRtIBN6Fq-oE75c2624OE3X9/view?usp=sharing

(Edit: And link is now sharable)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 04:28:18 PM by Jakob »

Offline Maven

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2023, 10:24:23 PM »
Grabbed a screen shot to copy mine and then went out to "play golf."  I used my Waksupi-built I. Haines (Chambers) .54cal. rifle today with a .535" RB + "Sew Classics" .011" - .012" twill (?) fabric (Jo Ann Fabrics).  The charge was 60gr. GOEX FFg with 1 Ballistol : 6 water as a patch lube.

My wife also played golf today, but she didn't do so well.  If you shoot the July target, here are some excuses to try for a less than ideal showing:  Play was too slow; topped the ball (because I picked my head up); used the wrong club, sliced it, hooked it, not good at the short game (putting, chipping), etc.
Paul W. Brasky