Author Topic: July postal match  (Read 4253 times)

Offline okawbow

• West Tennessee/ Southern Illinois
Re: July postal match
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2023, 04:24:00 AM »
Nice shooting Maven! +4?
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Maven

« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2023, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks, okawbow!  As for scoring, I'll leave it to you guys.  Btw, I had a better day on the golf course than my wife (LOL)!
Paul W. Brasky

Offline okawbow

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2023, 09:13:12 PM »
My first try. Bedford Co. 42” barrel, 13/16” straight. .36 cal., .350 roundball, 35 grains Old Eynesford 2F. .018” denim patch, 6-1 Ballistol

The first 3 from a table didn’t feel good. I’m used to shooting this rifle offhand. The 6 from standing felt better, with good light and no wind. +2 by my figuring. That happens to be my golf handicap for Tuesday night league for 9 holes🏌️‍♂️

Someone needs to shoot a better score..I don’t want to pick the next target.lol

Chuck

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »

Someone needs to shoot a better score..I don’t want to pick the next target.lol

Pretty sure the last winner can't 'win', so you're good.  Gonna try to get out this week and make some smoke, as I got a new gun inbound that will occupy me in the near future (Sharps '63, so I can't use it for this).

Offline WVrazd

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2023, 05:08:26 AM »

Offline okawbow

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2023, 05:28:28 AM »
Nice grouping! 3 over par. Could easily be par or better.

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2023, 04:44:56 AM »
If it would stop raining here in NH....I’d try some shootin...

June had 22 days of measurable rain...there’s only 30 days in June

And more of the same this July

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2023, 07:27:32 PM »
And here in British Columbia, we're dealing with a class 5 drought.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2023, 11:42:01 PM »
With the storms and dry dry weather, the woods hear are like a tinder box with lots of nice underbrush to catch a spark. I've been posting some targets on a small frame I stuck into a muskrat house out in my beaver pond.  I feel a lot safer shooting out over water  :)

Offline Jakob

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2023, 07:16:27 AM »
That was...interesting.
(I also forgot to refill my ball bag, so only had 14 or so roundballs with me).
Put a small black 'splatter' target for warm-up (it's been awhile) and 2 shots later, I was happy.

Started on the monthly target and I was no longer happy!. First 2 shots (from the bench) missed the paper entirely and then got the one flier on the right.
I then realized that the reflection on the top of the front sight made it blend in with the white background.

Put up another black target, confirmed that that was exactly what I was seeing.

Proceeded to shoot the target, but with flier already there, I lost concentration on the off-hand and just went through the motions.
Now I'm not sure if I should put the original darker steel front sight on or keep the silver bladed and paint it on bright days?

Regardless, it was nice to get out and shoot BP again, with some proper boom and smoke.

Target below..almost as bad as my golf scores.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Keep at it Jacob. I'm lucky to have 12 acres of woods with an old road running down the center. I have a good spot or two that has a safe back stop of fallen trees. I can shoot in the open on cloudy days and in the shade on sunny days. Helps a lot to clearly see the target and sights, especially with 69 year old eyes. I like rifles with long barrels so I can see the front sight blade. The back sight is just a blur with a opening. I try and concentrate on the front silver blade and the smallest part of the target that I can see. Offhand, I have to get the shot off in the first three seconds or so. Otherwise, I have to let down and rest my arms a minute.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2023, 05:16:09 PM »
Oh, yeah, I know I can shoot much better than this and will get back to this one. I'm just debating whether to keep the silver blade is the right choice or if the darker metal one is a better all rounder sight. I think putting a tunnel shade on the sight would be against the spirit of the 'rules'. (Even if we don't have any real rules).

My 'normal' procedure is to first focus on the front sight. and then line it up over the target. I find that if I try to focus on the front sight, whilst on the target, my brain refuses to comply and will keep looking at the target instead.

My offhand (despite this result) is getting better and my stance is stronger and more stable.

Also, this is why I like the variety of targets. It forces you to process things differently. (Even if it can be a bit frustrating at times).

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2023, 05:38:24 AM »
And here in British Columbia, we're dealing with a class 5 drought.

keyboard check online

Haven’t seen this much rain in 65 years ..NH natives are saying

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2023, 05:40:04 AM »
11 inches of rain in 24 hours ...in parts of the state

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2023, 06:42:33 PM »

.45 Douglas barrel
.440 RB
.018 patch Hoppes lube
70 gr 3Fg

shots in order:
3 shots on sand bag score -1+0+1=0
the six offhand not so good 0+0+3+1+3+3=10

Total is 10

Offline alacran

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2023, 08:56:30 PM »
I have two rifles with .45 cal Douglas 6barrels. One has a 40 inch 1 inch atf barrel.
The other has a 42 inch 11/8th atf.barrel. they both prefer a .451 ball.
They both perform well with JoAnn's .016 pocket drill. But they really shine with .015 Teflon ticking.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2023, 10:53:28 PM »
Foresterdj, that’s a much better target that the score you got. Could easily be par or better with a little effort. Try again, and you’ll do better.
Chuck

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2023, 01:21:25 AM »
I was planning to shoot a second target this morning, but a crew was working on the range shelter and I felt I was interrupting their work every time I called ready to fire and they had to pause their work.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2023, 03:58:05 AM »
Here is my first postal match attempt... Ever. How incredibly fun! My new 58cal. 120gr load because I'm just working on trying to get it sighted for hunting. The movement of the hammer in my vision, the sparks and pan explosion make me flinch most of the time.

I don't know what the score is for this one, but most of my shots were out of bounds! Maybe a +17?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:45:46 AM by HighUintas »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2023, 04:27:49 AM »
Terrible combination golf, and guns, in my opinion. Crazy cloths, walking for miles, excessive drinking, oh I get it, never mind.

Hungry Horse

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2023, 05:23:32 AM »
Years ago, my cousin and I would sometimes play .22 golf. He has a ranch in western ND, miles of nothing. We would set up a couple rocks at one end on a grazed off pasture, then starting at the other end shoot at golf balls with our .22 handguns (his a single action revolver, mine a semi-auto Ruger) it was a blast. Winner was the first to get his golf ball between the rocks.

I apologize in advance for mentioning weapons without side locks and long barrels.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2023, 05:33:16 PM »
Hope to get out today. I’ve improved my golf game from +10 to +4, but hoping for +2. My target printed a little weird; have to figure that out.
Andover, Vermont

Offline okawbow

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2023, 03:13:08 AM »
Had to try out my new oak chunk target holder.perfect light, temperature, and no wind. I found that shooting at the target low to the ground is easier on the arms. No shaking this time. New glasses finally allowed me to see the target and front sight clearly at the same time.

I’m not shooting for score, so keep shooting!

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 04:44:44 PM by okawbow »

Offline alacran

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2023, 06:33:44 PM »
I want to be a good sport so I shot this target Monday.
Good news is I fixed my trigger problem.  I was also getting a cut on one spot on my patches. Took care of that with some steel wool. So now my Getz B weight .40 is acting as expected.
The bad news is Monday we had swirling wind of 12 to 22 mph.
Such is life.
I shot all my shots offhand.  I thought I shot 3 on the upper black. Either I missed the paper all together or I only shot twice.  I have only so much time that I can shoot. So probably won't shoot this again.

upload image
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2023, 09:11:08 PM »
Thought I would give this one a try. Here in the Pacific NW it has been abnormally hot (mid-90's) and we have not seen a drop of rain since the first couple of day s in May. I made 6 targets and shot 4 of them on various days using various guns with only fair to poor results. On Monday I woke up to grey skies, mid-50's and a slight drizzle with no wind. I went to the range this time armed with my Don Bruton built Soddy-Daisy in 36 caliber. I shot both of the targets off a sand bag rest for their 3 shot groups. I then took a break, had some water and prepared for the offhand portion. The beauty of a
Soddy-Daisy is that with their exaggeratedly deep crescent butt I can stand with my feet perpendicular to the target and literally shoot across my body with the butt locked into my lower shoulder helping me to stay on target.
I am not a golfer so I will let others score the targets but I see them as a 3-over par and a 1-over par.
Soddy-Daisy, .36 caliber, .350 ball, .018 ticking patch (cut at the muzzle) lubed with Hoppes black powder patch lube, 45 grains of GOEX 3F and GOEX 4F in the pan.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.