Author Topic: SPG as patch lube?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Starting Member
SPG as patch lube?
« on: July 02, 2023, 05:35:06 AM »
For all cartridge gun bullets and conicals (Shiloh Sharps 1863 and .72-caliber muzzleloading cap lock rifle) I pan lube with SPG. It results in accuracy with extremely modest fowling for many shots without barrel cleaning.

Has anyone tried SPG as a patch lube? I imagine warming it and "buttering" one side of patch, then inserting patched ball into a loading block. Otherwise wrapping ball within patch might be difficult considering SPG's relative firmness when deer/elk hunting. While I wonder whether "cutting" the lubricant to make it nearer to conventional patch lube viscosity, doing so might mess up whatever allows it to work so well for bullets.

corrected for omission.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 06:31:06 AM by Naphtali »

Online smylee grouch

Re: SPG as patch lube?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 05:56:39 AM »
I think many here have or do use SPG for patch lube so you should get some replies. I like my patches to be soaked clear through and not just smeared on one side with lube. This works well for me with bear oil or Tracks lube but YMMV.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 06:04:15 PM »
Would need some way to soften it. Straight Track's mink oil is the stiffest patch lube I have used but then, only for hunting.
I did test the mink oil in my .32, using .320" balls and older 10 ounce denim that measured .0225" compressed. The 50th shot loaded
easier than the first in that test, no wiping at any time and short starter not actually needed, but makes 'things' easier and loading faster.
Those little balls load easily in tight combinations.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 10:00:59 PM »
I might be wrong but I do believe SPG and DGL both have wax in them. I prefer TOTW mink mixed 50/50 with pure neatsfoot oil.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 09:25:37 PM »
SPG? Isn't that a viscosity enhancer for oil in crapped out car and truck engines or am I confused beyond my normal amount?
Bob Roller

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2023, 01:22:56 AM »
Bob, you are correct.  But that's not the SPG the op is referring to.  He is referencing a bullet lube created by Steve Paul Garbe (SPG).  It is a waxy thick lube that fills grease grooves in cylindrical conoidal bullets.  I've never tried it for patch lube, but it might be fine.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline satwel

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2023, 03:33:07 AM »
I use SPG lube in my Shiloh New Model 1863 Sharps and Model 1873 trapdoor carbine, but not in any of my muzzle loaders. While ideal for breech loaders, it's too thick and waxy to be an effective patch lube.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2023, 05:00:58 AM »
STP for auto's and SPG for Sharps.  ;)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 10:18:18 PM »
STP! That's IT.Scientifically Treated Petroleum ;D. Andy Granetelli (I think)Used car dealers overhaul in a can for rattling rods and mains back in the "day". Great for old lathes like my Atlas 10x36 built in 1932 and cost me $50 in 1974.Babbit bearings like it.For both muzzle loaders using long grooved bullets as well as the 40 and 45 caliber BPCR rifles my with w as 3 equal portions of beeswax,Crisco and non camforated mutton tallow.This can be varied if need be for different guns but I never had any leading with it.
Bob Roller                       

Offline Maven

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 11:25:05 PM »
Yes, Bob, it's "the racer's edge."
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2023, 04:34:01 PM »
I have used a wax block for lubing ban saw blades.

Just rub it on one side of the cloth strip.

I worked very well in my 36 cal.

SPG might work just fine.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2023, 07:06:21 PM »

I have only metal cutting bandsaw blades and I used a small brush and any good threading fluid I happen to have on hand.
Bob Roller

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2023, 09:38:29 PM »

I have only metal cutting bandsaw blades and I used a small brush and any good threading fluid I happen to have on hand.
Bob Roller

Well Bob do a search for

bandsaw wax

There are several

Have you ever used threading fluid for patch lube?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 09:47:44 PM by Bsharp »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2023, 03:35:34 PM »
IF i ever do any more metal sawing I might try the wax but right now my shop is dormant and may stay that way.I am enjoying not working and don't have to.My last lock was a Hawken,a primitive lock copied from the Peterson Hawken in Bob Woodfill's book with what I call a KISS mechanism.
K_I_S_S  Keep It StUpidly Simple with no slick finish or half cock with "fly"and the only "safety" was the sharp checkering on the hammer spur.It is now in a collection and probably will never be used. No threading fluid as patch lube but it may be OK.I did use a slicone/water based bore cleaner on patches and I THINK it was called "Black Solve"and got it from Wes Kindig along with contractor bag full of new patches made for cleaning the M1 Garand and it worked really well for both shooting and cleaning.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 02:18:00 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2023, 11:08:12 PM »
 Using SPG for patch lube is like serving caviar on a pork rind. Why waste a high end lube like SPG on patches when there are so many great patch lubes that are cheap, and easy to get?

Hungry Horse

Offline Maven

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2023, 02:08:55 AM »
Hungry Horse is correct, especially when you can brew up a batch of Stumpy's Moose Snot (Google it)., also a "grease" lube for very little cash outlay.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2023, 05:45:10 AM »
For all cartridge gun bullets and conicals (Shiloh Sharps 1863 and .72-caliber muzzleloading cap lock rifle) I pan lube with SPG. It results in accuracy with extremely modest fowling for many shots without barrel cleaning.

Has anyone tried SPG as a patch lube? I imagine warming it and "buttering" one side of patch, then inserting patched ball into a loading block. Otherwise wrapping ball within patch might be difficult considering SPG's relative firmness when deer/elk hunting. While I wonder whether "cutting" the lubricant to make it nearer to conventional patch lube viscosity, doing so might mess up whatever allows it to work so well for bullets.

corrected for omission.

So, have you tried it?

Offline axman

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2023, 10:59:04 PM »
The guy who came up with it,,Steve Garbe wrote about using for patch lube in his muzzleloaders!!!

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2023, 02:09:46 AM »
Of course he used it as a patch lube. He was trying to sell more to the muzzleloading community. There are much better products to use than SPG or DGL pan lube for those suppository shooters. I know this because I helped the previous owner of DGL make batches of the lube.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.