Author Topic: Wonder Wad?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline 5judge

• Starting Member
Wonder Wad?
« on: July 02, 2023, 08:23:13 PM »
Am taking my newly acquired unsigned Johnson City School flinter out later this week. As with several of my front loaders, it eats up ball patches. I've had good luck with the suggestion of first loading a patch over the powder followed by the patched ball. Fired ball patches come out intact. Query: this rifle is .36 caliber. Before I waste time experimenting, has anyone had experience loading a Wonder Wad over the powder before loading the patched ball? Thanks.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Wonder Wad?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2023, 09:14:42 PM »
I have used a hard card wad over the powder then the patched ball in my 20 bore rifle when hunting. I did not have problems before but thought the card would keep any powder from contact with the patch lube ( bear oil ).

Offline Fyrstyk

• "All I ask of living is to have no chains on me."
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2023, 10:05:58 PM »
I have a vintage (1843) .35 caliber 1/2 stock rifle that has the breech area corroded due to a powder charge left in the gun for over 90 years.  When the gun is loaded, the rough area of the breech tends to grab the patch and hold it until the pressure build up and the ball exits.  The patches are shredded & burnt.  Needless to say, accuracy was dismal at best at 25 yards.  I now load the rifle with a 1/8th inch felt wad (un-lubed) over the powder charge, and then the patched ball.  Patches come out fine, with just a hint of shredding around the edges which is normal for most guns.  Accuracy has improved too with groups of 1.5" at 25 yards with my 70+ eyes and the sights on the gun which are very low on the barrel.  The front sight is barely 1/32and above the flat.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2023, 10:27:28 PM »
I put a felt wad over my powder before patch and ball on everything I shoot from 36 cal to 62 cal.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2023, 10:41:50 PM »
Ok, my 2 cents.
First of all, if the muzzle is clean, and NOT tearing patches, I’ve never seen any need to use a wad over a patched ball.
If the patches are not tearing, they are burning through.
This can only mean 2 things…….
One, the patch is too thin.
Two, not enough, or the right lube.

Not sure which of these are the issue, but make sure all three are right, and forget about a wad under the ball.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline thelongrifle

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2023, 08:32:01 PM »
I use wonder wads in all my muzzleloader. They truly work wonders for me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2023, 04:04:21 PM »
If you are having patch troubles in several guns it's likely to be a problem with patch thickness and/or lube. I suppose wonder wads would fix the problem. I'd probably do a little more experimenting with patches first.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2023, 05:45:41 PM »
If you are having patch troubles in several guns it's likely to be a problem with patch thickness and/or lube. I suppose wonder wads would fix the problem. I'd probably do a little more experimenting with patches first.
100%. Thicker patches or tighter combinations are usually the solution to torn or burned patches. Of course you need a good crown, using Daryl’s thumb and abrasive paper technique.
Andover, Vermont

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 10:58:28 PM »
The patch always benefit from a felt wad ,never hurt and mostly helps . If you have a little to much charge or pick the wrong patch or lube look at the wad as insurance ,only adds a step and maybe keep your freezer (MORE FULLER)/Ed