Author Topic: Shooting magnum lead in muzzleloaders  (Read 1208 times)

Offline steve1122

Shooting magnum lead in muzzleloaders
« on: July 05, 2023, 07:58:14 PM »
I have recently acquired a 40 cal. flintlock ,that shoots.380 roundball really well, and I have found a source where I can get 0000 buckshot (.380) at a good deal. My question is, when I contacted this supplier I was told that  this is magnum lead, which is a harder lead than the soft lead that we usually shoot in muzzleloaders. Does anyone have any experience with this type of balls, and would you recommend them? Thanks..

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Shooting magnum lead in muzzleloaders
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 08:23:06 PM »
What is the actual bore size of the rifle? What is the actual measured diameter of both balls and patching? I would not buy a big bunch of those balls until you find out how well they shoot. A 380 ball would be too small in any of my five 40 cal. rifles of three different makers.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 09:11:54 PM »
A .380 ball in a .400 bore could be patched with section of blanket."Magnum" and black powder don't go together and only so much black powder can be used with real efficiency or at least that's what my 70+ years of experience tells me.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 09:37:09 PM »
I’d pass and buy .390 round balls if you don’t cast your own.
Andover, Vermont

Offline steve1122

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:15:24 PM »
Thanks guys! I was kind of thinking the same thing. It's  just that 390 roundballs are really tight in this gon,and when I tried some. 380 roundballs they worked fantastic. I just wasn't sure about the harder lead buckshot in the same diameter.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 07:27:31 PM »
If .380 works.... well if it ain't broke don't fix it  ;)

If it shoots good in the gun, I'd use it

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2023, 08:07:25 PM »
I shoot .380 in mine with a good thick pillowtick patch lubed with neatsfoot oil. I have bought .380s from Curt Lyles yrs ago but finally bought a double mold an have molded my own since. .390s was too hard to get down my Hoyt barrel an the 380s go down with a gentle push. Accurate too
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline steve1122

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 10:22:38 PM »
Has anyone tried shooting the harder lead through their guns?

Offline Maven

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 01:12:29 AM »
Yes, I've tried it and so has Waksupi (Ric Carter).  In rifles, single shot pistols, and smoothbores, you may not see much difference at shorter ranges v. pure Pb.  However, in revolvers, you will be straining the reloading lever and pivot screw to the point of breakage when trying to seat the harder RB's.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2023, 06:28:03 PM »
The only time I would not use a "hard" lead projectile would be in a BP revolver. In all other guns you can always adjust the patch thickness. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2023, 07:05:26 PM »
There are a lot of people that shoot " hard " lead and for various reasons. Since shooting hard as compared to regular lead accuracy ( grouping ) might change as the harder ball tend to shrink less when dropped out of a  mold thus creating a different diameter ball. I like to add about 1 to 2 %  pure tin to the mix when casting for Bear hunting as I feel I have a better chance for a pass through shot and more blood trail.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2023, 07:26:01 AM »
Most guys I know who shoot .40's well, use a .390", .395" or up to .400" & with patches running 8 ounce, 10 ounce or 11ounce denim.
Smooth crown is important. A wet patch helps too.
The .380" hard ball will likely shoot just fine as long as a 12 ounce patch is used. Again, a smoothed crown sure helps getting tighter combinations in loading
without cutting the patch on the lands.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2023, 03:22:14 AM »
My experience with Hornady buckshot is positive.  I have used a lot 000  (.350") in a 36 cal rifle.