Author Topic: Rolled leather buttons  (Read 1061 times)

Offline CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
Rolled leather buttons
« on: July 06, 2023, 12:18:56 AM »
Does anyone have knowledge, or better yet pictures of, rolled leather buttons being used on civilian hunting pouches, especially from the southern parts of the country? I've made US Rifleman's pouches with rolled leather buttons (shown below) as detailed in the plans from The Rifle Shoppe, but I've not seen them on any other pouches. I've got a couple of small southern styled pouches on the bench and am looking for new button closure ideas... Buttons without a loop on the back tend to be a booger to get opened and closed on a pouch, so I'd like to steer clear of those ideas. I'm trying to keep these pouches more as well made homespun pouches that wouldn't have had commercially made buttons and buckles.

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Rolled leather buttons
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 01:53:44 AM »
 Most rolled leather buttons I’ve encountered are rolled from a triangle of leather so they act more as a toggle rather than a traditional button. They are rolled from one corner of the triangle to another and the one not used in this operation has a long enough leather tail left on it to secure the button, like a lanyard. The leather button is kept from unrolling by piercing it through, and running the lanyard through it. A hole in the bag, and a simple knot keeps it al secure.

Hungry Horse

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 03:21:35 AM »
The original Lyman belt pouch used a rolled leather button if I remember correctly.

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 03:27:34 AM »
Sorry, the original is missing its button but is believed to have been leather, here is the original and two recreations,

Offline CooleyS

• S.W. Cooley
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2023, 07:51:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies…now onto making the pouch!
-Steve

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2023, 02:58:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies…now onto making the pouch!
-Steve
Excellent, I look forward to seeing what you make.

Just an aside seeing as I used the Lyman pouch as an example of the buttons asked about.....  Please, please,,,, if making a Lyman pouch, please note the rounded bottom corners.... (angled corners have become a personal pet peavey when folks announce their new "Lyman pouch.")

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2023, 07:21:36 PM »
Rolled leather toggles/buttons appear to be an improvised thing.  I can't find any specs on them, to say the least about how thinly documented the entire field of pouches seems to be because of leathers perishability.

It's a question of taste, as exhibited by Broke's example.  Thanks for the pics, Brokennock

Offline Notchy Bob

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2023, 12:12:03 AM »
I think this one may have just what you're looking for:

This is from a pouch and horn set shown on the McPheeters Antique Militaria website:  Antique Pouch & Horn

While the dealer does not provide any solid provenance, it does appear to be a genuine antique.  I don't know enough about these to speculate regarding its place of origin... I suppose it could be from almost anywhere in the US. I would have no difficulty accepting a mid-19th century timeframe for it, or possibly earlier.

If you will click that link, it will take you to a detailed description with a bunch of additional close-up photos, including at least a couple of the rolled leather button.

I have been wanting to make a copy of this pouch and horn set, and I think that could be pretty easily done after studying the photos and description. 

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
"Should have kept the old ways just as much as I could, and the tradition that guarded us.  Should have rode horses.  Kept dogs."

from The Antelope Wife

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2023, 02:22:30 AM »
I think this one may have just what you're looking for:

This is from a pouch and horn set shown on the McPheeters Antique Militaria website:  Antique Pouch & Horn

While the dealer does not provide any solid provenance, it does appear to be a genuine antique.  I don't know enough about these to speculate regarding its place of origin... I suppose it could be from almost anywhere in the US. I would have no difficulty accepting a mid-19th century timeframe for it, or possibly earlier.

If you will click that link, it will take you to a detailed description with a bunch of additional close-up photos, including at least a couple of the rolled leather button.

I have been wanting to make a copy of this pouch and horn set, and I think that could be pretty easily done after studying the photos and description. 

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Thank you. I'll be adding those pics and info to my archives,,,,, where I won't be able to find and retrieve them when needed, lol.