Author Topic: A mountain - Hawken - Creamer Rifle  (Read 3813 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: A mountain - Hawken - Creamer Rifle
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2023, 08:30:18 PM »
That's your first?!?!?!?
Wow, you have talent! It'll be interesting to see your next ones!
Congratulations on a great job, John
John Robbins

Offline TDM

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2023, 09:58:26 PM »
It's just beautiful, love your fit and finish. Brightwork looks great too.

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2023, 10:05:07 PM »
That's a very nice looking rifle, even more amazing that it is your first. Can't wait to hear how it shoots.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2023, 11:20:58 PM »
Nice clean work for sure!

Offline john bohan

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2023, 11:34:08 PM »
You did a good job on this rifle. I sort of remember during this build you were having eye problems, how are your eyes doing?

Offline Duane Harshaw

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2023, 06:17:40 AM »
  What may I ask is gilsonite?   absolutely beautiful rifle...
Coaldale Alberta Canada

Offline steven baker

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2023, 08:57:45 AM »
Only 2 words come to mind "very nice" ,take care Steven.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2023, 03:18:25 AM »
You did a good job on this rifle. I sort of remember during this build you were having eye problems, how are your eyes doing?

Thank you. They appear to be progressing slower than last year. An additional medication will hopefully stabilize them. I can still drive and my central vision is good, so I'll take it!

What may I ask is gilsonite?   absolutely beautiful rifle...

Thank you.! It is a form of asphaltum that is found in surface strip mines in the Uinta Basin in Utah. It would be similar to using asphaltum or roofing tar... Collects in the wood grain providing more contrast in my low curl piece of wood. Prior to redoing the finish, the results were very interesting and beautiful.

Offline parve

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2023, 08:25:41 PM »
HighUintas I've been following your threads for this build since you started it around the time I started planning my first build. It's great to see the final product and I agree with the others, it's a great display of your workmanship as well as a beautiful rifle. I think any engraving you have planned for the patchbox will only make it more attractive. What do you have planned for your next rifle, or are you still in the process of deciding?
Phil A.

Offline HighUintas

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 01:55:44 AM »
HighUintas I've been following your threads for this build since you started it around the time I started planning my first build. It's great to see the final product and I agree with the others, it's a great display of your workmanship as well as a beautiful rifle. I think any engraving you have planned for the patchbox will only make it more attractive. What do you have planned for your next rifle, or are you still in the process of deciding?

Thank you. I haven't firmly decided yet. But first I have to prepare for hunting season. When I start another one, I may do a half stock percussion using an instructional book that a friend is working on. Maybe people would call it a Hawken, but I likely won't because I don't have interest yet in copying a single gun to the T.

Offline Ravenshurst

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2023, 08:33:06 AM »
HighUintas....beautiful rifle!  If my first rifle is anything even close to that I will be over the moon.  Your workmanship is true art. If I may ask, did you make or purchase the ramrod thimbles?

Offline taterbug

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2023, 09:03:51 PM »
nice work on that.  And a couple wipe downs with BP residue-soaked cleaning patches will knock the new right off it! ;)