Author Topic: Australian member: looking for flints and horn  (Read 1120 times)

Offline scottgze

• Starting Member
Australian member: looking for flints and horn
« on: July 18, 2023, 04:28:52 PM »
Hi all.
Like the title says, I'm in Australia.
Where do the other Aussies on this forum buy their flints?

Also, I'm interested in having a go at making my own powder horn, if any other Australians can point me to where I could buy a raw horn or two, thanks.

Offline hawkeye

Re: Australian member: looking for flints and horn
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2023, 07:54:22 PM »
Howdy, you can always order horns by ,,powderhorns and more, or maybe from some members here

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 04:15:46 AM »
I sent a link to your topic to a friend in Australia. He just got a bunch of flints recently, but I can't remember who from.
He did buy a powder horn and strap from a friend of ours in Ohio, no issues shipping or receiving.

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 12:52:33 AM »
 See if you can get in touch with "Bushfire" he from "Down under" and is a member here.

Jpbowhunter6@gmail.com

Tim C.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 04:04:56 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 02:30:13 AM »
See if you can get in touch with "Brushfire" he from "Down under" and is a member here.

Jpbowhunter6@gmail.com

Tim C.

That would be the friend of mine I sent a message to.
He can't remember his log-in information for this forum. I told him that if he sends me the info on where he got his flints, I will share it. I know he got some from a guy in France and I think had a line on some from a guy in England.
Oddly, a lot of people here in the U.S. give him a hard time about shipping to Australia. A good friend of mine shipped him a horn from Ohio and another gentleman I know sent him a Boucheron style knife, with no issues.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 02:14:30 PM »
Glad to reset password for him if he would like me to.
Dennis

See if you can get in touch with "Brushfire" he from "Down under" and is a member here.

Jpbowhunter6@gmail.com

Tim C.

He can't remember his log-in information for this forum. I told him that if he sends me the info on where he got his flints, I will share it. I know he got some from a guy in France and I think had a line on some from a guy in England.
Oddly, a lot of people here in the U.S. give him a hard time about shipping to Australia. A good friend of mine shipped him a horn from Ohio and another gentleman I know sent him a Boucheron style knife, with no issues.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 03:56:33 PM »
i have a 100 or more black English flints knapped by Bob Winter.  They are spall flints, not the neatly sized ones you normally buy from England.  They are roughly sized and you have to work them down with a pair of nippers to fit your gun.  Musket sized down to pistol size.  I would sell the whole batch at $1.50 US apiece and they would all fit in a USPS small, flat rate box.  PM me if interested.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 09:20:54 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 04:09:49 PM »
 PS: I screwed up his userid it is, "Bushfire" TC

Offline Brokennock

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2023, 04:20:47 PM »
Glad to reset password for him if he would like me to.
Dennis

Jpbowhunter6@gmail.com

Tim C.

Thank you, I let him know.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2023, 04:25:53 PM »
Speaking of Australians,has ANYone heard from Heelerau lately??? When the bogus info came in from someone saying I had suffered a cardiac event,HE was on the phone to me and was the first one.I made him a bullet sizer for his 451 Whitworth and he said he got it.I do know he barely escaped a terrible fire,lost everything including his horse and then moved across the continent to care for his aging mother.
Bob Roller

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 07:19:29 PM »
Speaking of Australians,has ANYone heard from Heelerau lately??? When the bogus info came in from someone saying I had suffered a cardiac event,HE was on the phone to me and was the first one.I made him a bullet sizer for his 451 Whitworth and he said he got it.I do know he barely escaped a terrible fire,lost everything including his horse and then moved across the continent to care for his aging mother.
Bob Roller

Bob, the last time he was here was July 13th if this year.

Tim

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 04:30:35 PM »
I Think, if I remember right, that Gordon works up in the mines, or did.
Maybe when he is on a stint he doesn't get at posting as much.