Author Topic: And more horn  (Read 978 times)

Offline OLUT

And more horn
« on: July 22, 2023, 07:31:29 PM »
I'm documenting my various gun related items for my daughter and son-in-law who will maintain my legacy collection after I die. I know nothing about the bunch of  powder horns that I've accumulated and have used over the past 60 years and I'm trying to provide whatever info I can obtain to go with the "better horns". Please help with anything you folks can add on the three shown horns, especially the middle one with the threaded spout. THANKS OLUT

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: And more horn
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 07:49:41 PM »
 The screw-tip reminds me of a Lancaster Co horn, I base that on the shape of the tip and the shape of the butt. Probably a second generation horn, the earlier ones have a more bulbus rounded butt I think. Although...there are exceptions.   
 Another idea may be Dauphin Co., close to Lancaster once again on the lower butt height with the turned ring and the shape of the tip. Look like the staple may have been replaced at one time. Is there any evidence of a staple in the neck area?
 Looks like the bottom horn has some sort of furniture pull in it with the ring missing. Kind of hard to put a location on it. Look forward to other thoughts.  Nice horns, Thanks for posting.

Tim C.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:58:18 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline OLUT

Re: And more horn
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2023, 09:33:57 PM »
The screw-tip reminds me of a Lancaster Co horn, I base that on the shape of the tip and the shape of the butt. Probably a second generation horn, the earlier ones have a more bulbus rounded butt I think. Although...there are exceptions.   
 Another idea may be Dauphin Co., close to Lancaster once again on the lower butt height with the turned ring and the shape of the tip. Look like the staple may have been replaced at one time. Is there any evidence of a staple in the neck area?
 Looks like the bottom horn has some sort of furniture pull in it with the ring missing. Kind of hard to put a location on it. Look forward to other thoughts.  Nice horns, Thanks for posting.

Tim C.

Thanks for your helpful input. The middle horn does indeed have the staple in the neck area. That horn came with a percussion gun from an auction in the Lancaster area in the early 1980's

upload images