Author Topic: No. 11 caps  (Read 1712 times)

Offline okawbow

No. 11 caps
« on: July 23, 2023, 01:33:05 AM »
Found a few at Walmart today for $5.62 a tin. Hopefully the price gouging is over for a while.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline danny

• Starting Member
Re: No. 11 caps
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2023, 02:37:34 AM »
I hope so. I paid 120 bucks for 600 remington #10. It took awhile to find them at that price and I drove 100 miles one way to get them.

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2023, 03:48:04 PM »
The real price gouging that went on with the vendors at Friendship really ticked me off. I had plenty of caps and didn't need any for my percussion pistol and revolver. The cheapest I saw was around $15.00 a tin and the highest was about $18 a tin.
This is the time WallyWorld gets them in. They never restock once they are sold but they never gouge you.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2023, 04:56:41 PM »
I bought some at Walmart a week or so ago.

Academy has them for about $11 a tin, most big box stores do price matching, I don't know if academy does but I suspect they do in which case you could negotiate their price down to the Walmart price.

Another heads up; Academy gives a10% veterans discount, I didn't know this until I saw a sign by the register when I was stocking up on 22 bullets the other day. I was buying about $70 worth so the discount saved me $7.

Offline 19112tap

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »
My Walmart also had them for $5.62 I picked up a couple, they probably had almost a dozen on hand.

Offline Paul from KY

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 05:56:45 PM »
I visited two Walmarts in my area (north central KY) and they did receive shipments of percussion caps.  The first one I checked received 20 packages of caps, and all of them were stolen by some shoplifter.   The second Walmart had a full rack of caps at $5.62 and I bought six.  I want to thank Okawbow for the heads up.  And yes, these percussion caps will be the one and only shipment that the Walmart stores will get this year.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 04:26:15 PM »
Funny about what you said about a shoplifting incident. They had what appeared to be at least a couple thousand at the Murfreesboro, Tn store I visited yesterday.....locked up in the glass case below the firearms.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline TDM

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2023, 06:57:40 AM »
Luckily I’m fairly well stocked with caps as I mostly shoot flintlocks now. But a year or so ago I purchased a #10 and #11 cap making kit and Prime All compound from 22 Reloaders, never made one yet, but have it just in case.

Offline Van

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2023, 06:10:07 PM »
 I have seen quite a few Walmarts with the $5.62 priced caps here in Kentucky and I'm sure they are still making a profit on them. It shows that there is a lot of price gouging going on.  One large gun store in Louisville had hundreds of them out on a large display at $10.99 each. I passed on those and bought 12 tins at a nearby Walmart out of the city. They had 2 pegs on display, but an open full case was sitting on the ledge above the counter.

Offline wolf

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 02:42:07 AM »
i have plenty of flint:))
I have never "harvested" a critter but I have killed quite a few,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline okawbow

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2023, 03:09:21 AM »
Unless you make your own flints, they are getting more expensive per shot than caps.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2023, 04:17:46 AM »
I get over 100 shots out of 3 flints. At $1.90 per flint that's $5.70 per 100 shots. When you count the caps that don't fire, those wasted firing a couple before you shoot I will stick with my flintlock thank you. Besides they are much cooler than a cap gun.
Just my opinion but even out here in the far Pacific N. W. I am seeing more flintlocks than caplocks.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2023, 03:12:34 PM »
I assume the Germans and Italians are not producing caps any more.RWS and Fiocchi used to be seen frequently.
Gougers,also know as opportunistic low life will always try to diddle the market anyway they can and weakened currency
is no help either.From an old country music song comes "Put  more water in the soup,here;s better times acomin'".
Bob Roller

Offline okawbow

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2023, 03:33:08 PM »
Most of my guns are flinters and I even knapp some of my flints, but good flints now are very hard to find and I’ve seen them going for over $3.00 each. I am the only regular flintlock shooter in my club. I have actually been accused of cheating somehow when I win a match with my flintlock! That’s why I recently dug out my old Bedford Co. percussion this year to compete apples to apples with the others. I have won every match I entered this year.😁 They want me to bring back the flintlocks now.

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 04:23:32 PM »
I stopped at the local Sportsman's Warehouse, they had three tins of #11 caps. I really don't need any, I have plenty in stock. Their price was $5.95. Same as it was a year ago when I bought a thousand. I would have bought them if they were #10.
I don't understand why Cabela's doesn't have any in stock. I suppose the reason is they cater only to the inline crowd. They carry lots of cap and ball revolvers, Why would someone buy one when they don't sell the caps that feed them?
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline danny

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2023, 01:16:27 AM »
the tip look in walmart worked in my local store. they had ten so I bought five. Started to buy all ten but figured someone else surly needs a few.