Author Topic: August Postal match  (Read 2964 times)

Offline MuskratMike

August Postal match
« on: August 01, 2023, 08:21:34 AM »
It looks like a blind squirrel can find an acorn every now and again.
This month will be a straight forward target that hopefully all can see. Go to your search engine and enter: NMLRA Targets. There you will find a header for downloadable targets. Scroll down until you find this one and print up to 5 targets. I did find that the small red dots on the Birchwood Casey "splatter" targets exactly cover the  "X" ring if that makes it easier. I am showing photos of the target both ways.
Rules: 5 shots at each target from 25 yards that you print. Please limit your targets to only 5. All shooting will be offhand or seated. When I say seated that is not on a shooting bench but a bucket or stool. No sandbags, cross sticks, tripods or bipods.
I will try to monitor this the best I can but tonight my best friend and shooting/hunting buddy died. He lives on the other side of the state 300 miles away. I will be over there not only for the funeral but to help call their monthly match, hence the angel. that's for "Bulldog" Mike Browning.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2023, 08:26:43 AM by MuskratMike »
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: August Postal match
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 02:51:04 PM »
So sorry for the loss of your friend.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alacran

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 03:51:47 PM »
Sorry for your loss Mike.
I like that target. I will try to use a different rifle on each if time permits.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Nessmuck

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2023, 04:33:04 PM »
Sorry for your loss Mike.

Now that’s a target that will get me to the range

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2023, 01:32:08 AM »
I'm really sorry for your loss, Mike, I've had far too many friends go to the other side and can empathize with with you.

I'm gonna do my best to shoot this match.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2023, 05:13:34 AM »
So sorry for your loss,|

If you'll allow me, here's the direct link to the target:

https://www.nmlra.org/s/MonthlyTarget_Feb_2020_Scores.pdf

Offline okawbow

• West Tennessee/ Southern Illinois
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2023, 03:41:13 PM »
Sorry to hear about your friend Mike. The older we get, the more we see our friends fall by the wayside. Still have the memories, though.

I am building a new rifle. It’s ready to shoot now, so I may try it out on this target.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2023, 07:53:56 PM »
Okawbow: Please do and thank you for the kind message.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 09:49:09 PM »
Went out today to try out which target these old eyes can see better. The one with the red center was much easier to see. My vanity and pride forbids me from posting the target as only two were even in the black. I shot from an old Ace hardware 5 gallon bucket as my wobbly feet wouldn't permit off hand. Oh well 1 target down 4 more to go. Let's all get out there and shoot!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline okawbow

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2023, 10:16:42 PM »
Ok, shooters, I’ll post the first target. 25 yards offhand, standing unsupported. 90 degrees, sunny, with a 10 mph wind. .45 caliber Bedford style half stock, unfinished. 42” Colerain barrel. .440 hand cast ball, 45 grains Old Eynesford 2F, .020” blue jean denim. First 4 were in the 10 ring, last one, I didn’t follow through long enough. Second ball went through the first hole at 10 o’clock. I think my new rifle I’m building is a shooter! It only had a dozen or so shots through it, but is hitting right where it goes off every time.  No fliers. It was cutting patches the first couple shots, so I polished the crown, and swabbed the bore about 100 times with tooth paste. Patches come out perfect now.

As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2023, 02:02:37 AM »
Wow a 49 1X doesn't leave much meat on the bone. The rest of us are going to have to screw our eyeballs down tight to beat that score. Well done and thanks for starting us off. Now everyone get out and fire away!!!
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline alacran

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »
Good shooting Okawbow!
I didn't have as good an outing as Okawbow did, but I'm not displeased. I shot my .40 cal Getz barreled flintlock.
I shot at our public range. I could have shot in the morning with lesser winds, but more morons with AR's and short loud pistols.  I went to the range after noon and there was only one other shooter. He was shooting an AK. I set up about 30 yards from him. He was actually sighting his rifle and wasn't trying to shoot all his ammo as fast as possible.
This is my first target next one will be shot with another rifle.I suppose .45 would be the logical progression.

A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2023, 07:36:52 PM »
Nice target alacran! Youmust have had a slow ignition and peeked on the flier. I have a .30 caliber SMR in flint that Ineed to get out and try.

Offline alacran

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2023, 08:54:30 PM »
I had good ignition, the flier occurred when a gust pushed me as I was squeezing the trigger.
By the way I Sh t this offhand no support..

Offline alacran

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2023, 02:41:16 PM »
I shot this target yesterday. It was a good day to shoot. Temperature was in the low 70s, and the wind was never over 5mph.
I spent some time on my wife's rifle before I shot this target.
Wasn't sure if I would be able to manage shooting this 12&1/4 pound beast offhand.  I shot it on Feb. 22 for that monthss match, which was before my shoulder surgery. But that was a rest match.
Any way the weight didn't hurt my shoulder but its been a long time since I've shot this offhand.
I was using a .451 ball, with Joann's pocket drill and bear oil. 60 grains of OE.

I score it a 48. I was going to post a picture of this rifle but I've never taken photos of it.
Next rifle will be a .54, not sure which.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2023, 05:56:22 PM »
I used to find that a front heavy, long barreled rifle was better for offhand. That was when I was younger, stronger, and had good shoulder joints. My new Bedford half stock weighs only 7 1/2#. I can hold a little longer before I start to shake.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2023, 07:10:20 PM »
Had the privileged yesterday of "calling the match" for the .22 silhouette shooters. One of the competitors is a 7 time us national champion and 1 time Canadian champion. Got some one on one advise on how to stand and hold my rifles. Might now be able to squeeze in another year or two on this aged body shooting offhand.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2023, 08:50:07 PM »
Only 3 targets have been submitted only 14 more days, let's get out there and shoot the target.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2023, 10:01:51 PM »
Today, 17 Aug., Kibler SMR, a.k.a. "Clementine", .36, 40 gr 3F, .020 patch cut at muzzle, Hoppes lube, .350 RB, 25 yards, off hand, gusty windy, 60 degrees.

Flint was not sparking well, only a couple sparks each time, so in this group of 5 shots I had several where it did not ignite the prime. I was going to put in a new flint, but my flint pouch was empty. I tried to knap the flint I had (removed from the lock) and on second tap with knife blade a big C shaped chip popped off leaving two long corner points on each side. Knapping them off would have left a flint too short to hit frizzen. So I headed home.

Also, after every shot the pan was covered with wet oily black residue that had to be wiped out with a patch. Humidity today was quite pleasant, though we have been warm and humid. Not sure if this was part of it leaving residue like this or not.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2023, 11:00:48 PM »
Yes it is a 40. Lots of time to better the score.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline alacran

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2023, 03:05:27 PM »
Went and shot at the public range yesterday. Shot my Bucks County .54. Only three people when I got there no wind to speak off. By the time I shot at warmup 25 yard repair center and put of this target, I was surrounded by all sorts of loud short modern guns.
That really didn't bother me. The flyer was my fault. I should have knapped my flint before I started shooting. First shot was a 10 second was an X.
The third was a slow spark hang fire, and I didn't follow through enough. Oh well!
Next gun will be my .54 Hawken Caplock.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2023, 09:16:47 PM »
Finished my Bedford half stock rifle yesterday, so I decided to shoot today. Had to move and file the sights a little, but after a dozen sight in shots, it’s fairly close at 25 yards. I haven’t worked up a load for it yet, but the 45 grains 2F Old Eynesford load works good enough for 25 yards. Used a .440 ball, 6-1 water/ balistol, 10 ounce denim. Shot offhand, standing at a measured 25 yards in my backyard, rural Tennessee. No wind, 80 degrees. I have a great place to shoot that allows me to be shaded and the target to be in the sunlight.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 09:24:11 PM by okawbow »

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2023, 10:33:02 PM »
Okawbow: Now that's some fine shooting. I see the score as a 50 2X, going to be hard to beat but it can be done. The month is 2/3 done so let's all get out there. You all get 5 targets so make use of them.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2023, 01:49:43 AM »

Got out and shot today. Was going to go tomorrow but the smoke from our forest fires are blowing in. Not bad for me. I sat on an old 5 gallon bucket with a folded towel on top.
.32 caliber Don Bruton "Mathew Gillespie Tribute" flintlock that is one of my pride and joys. 40 grains of Goex 3F and a .310 round ball with .018 ticking patch lubed with neatsfoot oil. Looks like a 47 to me. Not near good enough but like I said pretty gook for an old man.

"Muskrat" Mike McGuire

Offline Daryl

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2023, 09:02:50 PM »
I'd likely score that as a 48 Mike. The outside edge of that 10 line is darn close to the exact middle of the ball hole. ;)
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V