Author Topic: Percussion Caps at Walmart. Supply Situation in Your City?  (Read 2977 times)

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
Percussion Caps at Walmart. Supply Situation in Your City?
« on: August 03, 2023, 10:23:42 AM »
Recently, I saw many posts stating that a lot of people are able to buy #11 percussion caps at Walmart for only 5USD. What is the situation in your city? Do you still have a problem with cap supply?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Percussion Caps at Walmart. Supply Situation in Your City?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2023, 03:41:40 PM »
$5 for the fancy packaging and 62 cents for the caps. ;D I still have maybe 700 caps in 3 different sizes + some musket caps and one box pf Remingtpn #12's from E.M.Farris gun shop when they were $4.50 per thousand.12-14 lbs of black powder in including a pound of Curtis&Harvey and a pound of Swiss.Maybe I should make or buy or borrow something to use this stuff in.
We get to WalMart about once every other year and I never think of it as a source for any gun related items but am 99% sure there is no shop in Huntington WVa that has a box of caps or primers.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 04:38:06 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2023, 04:56:16 PM »
We have two Walmart super centers in Florence Al, I stopped by the one near me about a month ago and they did have CCI caps, they still had 5 tins so I bought 3 and left 2. I haven't looked lately, I have about 500 new CCI caps and a couple of hundred from the 70s that someone gave me. I shoot flint mostly but do have three percussion rifles.

I still remember my old DI in basic booming out during a break "smoke um if you got um" which I have turned around to "buy them if you see them" for things that are in and out of shortages, caps, B/P, 22 bullets and such. Not to be hoggish I buy a few of this and that, if I see the same thing later, I buy a little more. Over time I have become very well stocked in all of the things I mentioned.

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 05:34:16 PM »
$5 for the fancy packaging and 62 cents for the caps. ;D I still have maybe 700 caps in 3 different sizes + some musket caps and one box pf Remingtpn #12's from E.M.Farris gun shop when they were $4.50 per thousand.12-14 lbs of black powder in including a pound of Curtis&Harvey and a pound of Swiss.Maybe I should make or buy or borrow something to use this stuff in.
We get to WalMart about once every other year and I never think of it as a source for any gun related items but am 99% sure there is no shop in Huntington WVa that has a box of caps or primers.
Bob Roller

What kind of musket caps are you using?

Offline Bison

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 02:52:46 AM »
Caps in our Walmarts here in Western Colorado didn't last for much longer than a week.

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 07:39:44 AM »
Caps in our Walmarts here in Western Colorado didn't last for much longer than a week.

Thanks

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2023, 07:43:19 AM »
We have two Walmart super centers in Florence Al, I stopped by the one near me about a month ago and they did have CCI caps, they still had 5 tins so I bought 3 and left 2. I haven't looked lately, I have about 500 new CCI caps and a couple of hundred from the 70s that someone gave me. I shoot flint mostly but do have three percussion rifles.

I still remember my old DI in basic booming out during a break "smoke um if you got um" which I have turned around to "buy them if you see them" for things that are in and out of shortages, caps, B/P, 22 bullets and such. Not to be hoggish I buy a few of this and that, if I see the same thing later, I buy a little more. Over time I have become very well stocked in all of the things I mentioned.

Thanks. If you have the opportunity, please check if there are caps available at your nearby Walmart.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2023, 04:31:36 PM »
Bob Roller

I think they are Italian,maybe Fiocchi.They are not flanged or "winged" but look like very large percussion caps.
Bob Roller

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2023, 04:59:08 PM »
I checked my local Walmart again yesterday; they were sold out of caps.

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2023, 05:33:30 PM »
I checked my local Walmart again yesterday; they were sold out of caps.

Understood, thank you.

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 07:52:06 PM »
Bob Roller

It is hard to find musket caps, and they ain't cheap. I just make my own.

I think they are Italian,maybe Fiocchi.They are not flanged or "winged" but look like very large percussion caps.
Bob Roller

Offline LynnC

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2023, 07:22:08 AM »
East central Miss. No caps available since the last run on reload stuff began and they sold for $12/100 back then. I decided I had plenty and passed at that price.
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Jim S

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2023, 03:04:26 PM »
The Walmart in Plymouth wis. has a gun section, but no muzzleloading stuff at all. Also no one working behind the counter to ask.

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2023, 03:15:23 PM »
thanks

Offline Selenite

• Starting Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 03:15:58 PM »
East central Miss. No caps available since the last run on reload stuff began and they sold for $12/100 back then. I decided I had plenty and passed at that price.

Thanks

Offline alacran

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2023, 05:49:20 PM »
Talked to the guy who is the sporting goods manager at on of our WMs. He got two thousand in. Keeps them in the locked ammo display. Allows only one tin per customer. $5.62 per tin.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass