Author Topic: A. C. Price longrifle...  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Wildwood Castle

• Starting Member
A. C. Price longrifle...
« on: August 05, 2023, 12:29:07 AM »
Help please... I just received this long rifle made by A. C. Price in Maryland supposedly in the 1960s... If anyone has any information on Mr. Price please let me know...
I noticed this rifle has a vent drilled in the drum and had to research online to jog my memory as to why this was done... Numerous discussion forums cover this, so I won't go into that...
When I took off the lock this morning I was quite surprised to find that the drum is fixed to the lock plate and that the vent in the drum lines up with a vent in a liner set in the barrel... Is this a wise setup..? Does it work well... I am assuming that there was a flintlock that was with this rifle at one time for conversion... Sadly.. I did not get it... Does anyone know the lock maker..? Please pardon my poor phone photos... Thanks...

Why Just Study History When You Can Live In It...

Offline BigSkyRambler

Re: A. C. Price longrifle...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2023, 04:19:42 AM »
Interesting setup.

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2023, 08:00:35 AM »
Clay Price?  I have a Beck in a 58 from Clay Price made in the earliest 70s.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2023, 03:27:06 PM »
Interesting Bedford style rifle, had a rifle before setup similar to that. It came with two locks, and worked well with either

remove quotes from string online

Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline Wildwood Castle

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2023, 09:50:30 PM »
Clay Price?  I have a Beck in a 58 from Clay Price made in the earliest 70s.
  Yes.. I was told A. C. (Clay) Price from the Ellicott City, MD area... I would really like to see photos of your rifle...

Offline Keith Zimmerman

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2023, 09:59:50 PM »

Offline Wildwood Castle

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 10:28:25 PM »

Nice rifle... Mr. Price sure turned out some nice work...

Offline Wildwood Castle

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2023, 10:30:55 PM »
Interesting Bedford style rifle, had a rifle before setup similar to that. It came with two locks, and worked well with either

Thanks for the reply... Nice to know that this type of configuration works well...

Offline Wildwood Castle

• Starting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2023, 05:48:44 PM »
I have an update from the consignor of this rifle... The auction house acted as an intercessor and this is the reply that I received... Mr. Hill,
We reached out to the consignor of lot 2013 on your behalf regarding the lock on the flint lock rifle. Following is his response:
“It was one of my father’s many guns in his collection. He knew Clay Price, as well as Tom Hobbs and Hoppy Hopkins…all of which made muzzle loading rifles and pistols in the 1960s and 1970s. Hobbs and Hopkins had a joint business venture making barrels for a few years in the Ellicott City area. Price worked on and off at the barrel shop. Dad bought the rifle from Clay on one of his many visits to the shop. I was never aware of a flint lock that ever accompanied the rifle along with the percussion lock. If there had been a second flint lock made for the rifle, Dad would have had it as well. Nor was I ever aware that a concept like the one you suggested was ever discussed. Being very close with my dad until his passing in the 1990s, I knew a lot about the weapons that were in his collection. Plus I knew Tom Hobbs well.
I trust you’ll enjoy owning the Clay Price rifle. I found it very aesthetically pleasing. It was a hard one to let go.
Kindest regards”
I hope this helps... Jeffery S. Evans & Associates

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2023, 02:44:13 PM »
Interesting update

I really don't see any other reason for this type of setup, than to utilize two different ignition systems.
Others may chime in and correct me. I wonder who made that lock? Would be neat to have a flintlock made for it.     
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/