Author Topic: A Few Bone Handle Knives  (Read 1321 times)

Offline jcmcclure

A Few Bone Handle Knives
« on: August 06, 2023, 06:50:06 AM »
It's been awhile since I've shared any work here on the forum. The larger bone handle knife was forged by Liz and the other two by me. Each knife was forged from 1084. These are just a few of the knives we'll be taking to the CLA show.

Offline TDM

Re: A Few Bone Handle Knives
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 06:56:30 AM »
Fine looking knives. I love bone handles, blades look good too.

Offline DougS

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 01:46:04 PM »
Super!

Excellent work Casey and Liz.

These are absolutely stunning. I love the details and the color you achieved on the bone and the blades.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Doug

Offline jrb

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 02:37:34 PM »
I really like the one with the faceted handle!  which whitetail leg bone is thick enough to do that with? front, rear, upper, or lower, if you don't mind saying. I tried some sheep leg bones and they were too thin walled to do any shaping on.  Thanks

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 04:43:11 PM »
I really like the one with the faceted handle!  which whitetail leg bone is thick enough to do that with? front, rear, upper, or lower, if you don't mind saying. I tried some sheep leg bones and they were too thin walled to do any shaping on.  Thanks

I honestly cannot say which leg it was. I don't know much about the bone growth habits of any animal, but I got fortunate to have a friend who gave me a box of leg bones fron a few years worth of deer he took in Middle TN. Most the box was what you typically associate with deer bone, but there were a hand full of pieces that were super thick walled. All three of these bones used for these knives were thick. Idk if it's a indicator of age or diet. Maybe they drank all their milk and just grew up to have strong bones.

Offline jrb

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2023, 05:24:27 PM »
Ok, Thanks Casey  :)

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2023, 06:12:39 PM »
You two make a great team! Keep up the good work!
W
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Carper

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2023, 06:17:55 PM »
I love the handle treatment and color as well.

Offline Robert Hill

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 05:49:59 AM »
Good looking knives! Most all of the white tail bones I deal with down in SC tend to be pretty thick and I always wonder if they don’t need that for impact absorption while they are running and jumping. Sort of the same reason their shoulders float maybe.
 -Robert Hill