Author Topic: Dave R. Taylor Barrel  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Skirmisher

Dave R. Taylor Barrel
« on: August 07, 2023, 07:09:44 PM »
At a gun show this last weekend I picked up a never used 42" barrel by Dave R. Taylor, Hocking, Ohio.  I had never heard of him but liked the looks of the rifling (Deep, wide grooves and thin lands) and so I bought it.
I now learn that Mr. Taylor was a contemporary of Bill Large and in fact preceded him in death.  This barrel is at least 50 years old
The question is, has anyone had any experience with a Taylor barrel, and if so, how do they perform in comparison with current types, such as a Rice or Hoyt?

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Dave R. Taylor Barrel
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2023, 07:23:33 PM »
Dave Taylor's barrels had an excellent reputation and he did pass away many years ago.Bill Large passed away in 1985 and Mr.Taylor much earlier.
Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2023, 09:34:49 PM »
I have what is supposed to be Dave Taylor's personal rifle. A beautiful small Vincent style in .38 caliber. I am told one of his trade marks is a German silver under rib and it is there. The rifle has one of his barrels on it and it shoots much better than I do. I wouldn't hesitate to use your Taylor barrel, with the correct load it should bring home the meat.
Mark

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 01:34:21 AM »
WHAT CALIBER?????

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 01:46:55 AM »
Mine is .38
Mark

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 02:47:50 AM »
It is a .40, 7/8", 42" long.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2023, 09:21:13 PM »
What you have is about as rare as a football bat and thanks for reviving memories about an exceptional man who also made
barrels for muzzle loaders during the rebirth of shooting them again.
Bob Roller

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2023, 01:40:01 AM »
It survived all these decades a barrel in wait for a rifle.  I am inclined to put it to use at long long last.
Can you recall about when Mr Taylor passed away?  I bought my first muzzleloader in 1962 at age 15 but did not build a rifle until 1973.  I had, and have, Bill Large barrels but I do not recall  Taylor barrels at all.

Offline dadybear1

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 02:08:04 AM »
ONE OF THE ONLY REASONS I REGRET LIVING IN THE SOUTH ,IS THE AVAILABILITY OF HISTORIC/INTEREST IN TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADING----   OUR GUN SHOWS ARE MORE MILITARY/PLASTIC ORIENTED---I TRULY HATE NOT FINDING AND AQUIRING THESE HISTORICAL ARTIFACTS--BUT I KEEK LOOKING ANY WAY--WHAT A FIND!!!!

Offline Skirmisher

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 02:52:36 AM »
Since Illinois banned assault rifle sales, our gun shows are moving back to what they were 40 years ago.  There is a silver lining to everything, I guess.  However, this barrel turned up at a show specific to long rifles.  There were also a couple of Bill Large bench barrels on the same table.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 04:40:28 PM »
It survived all these decades a barrel in wait for a rifle.  I am inclined to put it to use at long long last.
Can you recall about when Mr Taylor passed away?  I bought my first muzzleloader in 1962 at age 15 but did not build a rifle until 1973.  I had, and have, Bill Large barrels but I do not recall  Taylor barrels at all.
I remember hearing about Dave Taylor and his barrel making in the early 1950's.He was before Bill Large who did NOT actually MAKE a barrel until he got the big shop built in 1958.He bought riled blanks from a man in the Western USA (Montana)? John Buehmiller and then modified the rifling to his own ideas,planed them to octagon with a planer made in 1898.I don't know if Mr.Taylor had a deep hole drill or bought drilled blanks.I have no idea as to when he passed away.After Bill Large got the big shop ready he bought several machines such as a  deep hole double spindle drill and a Pratt&Whitney rifling machine and a rifling machine marked "Builders Foundry" that was dedicated to the 58 caliber barrels.He gave me the first barrel done on that machine and I made a match winning rile out of it.THAT machine was dated 1898.
I got my first muzzle loader in 1951 and have gone back and forth between the muzzle loaders and the BPCR's.
I hope you can make a match winner from the Taylor barrel and post pictures of it here.
Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2023, 12:02:24 AM »
Thanks for the history lesson. I had never heard of Dave Taylor,  barrel maker.
John (Old John) Buhmiller's home and shop was in Kalispel, Montana. I spoke with him on the phone, back in 1975 after his fall.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2023, 01:18:54 AM »
You're welcome and I hope to see Taylor tomorrow in Lexington Ky.I knew most of the founders of the NMLRA and am glad my memories are a good as possible.Bill's old shop is still standing and we have a grand daughter and her husband and 3 little ones are about a mile from it.
I have a LOT of memories about that shop and the people thar came to it including Tom Dawson who started the trend of making absolute
copies of the Hawken rifles from J&S and onto Gemmer.John Baird who wrote the first book on Hawken was there with Tom and we established an immediate friendship that lasted until both were taken by death.I have flashbacks every time we drive by it so we take another route.
I wish you were coming as well as Taylor.
Bob Roller
Here is a bit more about Bill Large's shop.After setting dormant for 20 years I finally convinced his daughter who lived in the house once owned by her parents that the machinery may rust into being totally worthless and the buyer will be a big junk yard in Ashland Ky.
It was bought by Jim McLemore who with two of his sons who with two of his sons moved everything but the cobwebs to Indiana.
I have NO idea what it all sold for and didn't ask.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:13:11 AM by Bob Roller »

Online DGB

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2023, 02:13:52 AM »
Skirmisher,
Sent you a PM.
DGB