Author Topic: smoothbore pistol question  (Read 1077 times)

Offline adkmountainken

smoothbore pistol question
« on: August 09, 2023, 08:23:03 PM »
i have a very nice 50 cal smoothbore pistol with a 5 inch barrel. shoots round ball very nice at around 10 yards lots of fun. thinking about taking it for squirrels when i am deer hunting and contemplating where to start for a load. thinking 15 grains FFF maybe wad of hornets nest and some #4 with hornets nest over top? i am thinking 5-10 yards max for the pesky buggers on a kamikaze mission to my frying pan. anyone have any ideas??

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 10:40:01 PM by adkmountainken »

Offline bob in the woods

Re: smoothbore pistol question
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 12:59:13 AM »
I'd try 20 or 25 gr of powder. You need to test the load and get penetration/perforation  on a tin can if  you want a good killing load.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2023, 01:21:21 AM »
Besides that, if you can get between 15 and 30 ft, just smack them with you ramrod.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2023, 08:18:24 AM »
 I’d use 2F instead of 3F. The 2F doesn’t blow the pattern as badly, and the recoil is less. You may find you have to use 3F because of the barrel length, and burn rate.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2023, 12:36:15 AM »
I'm with Bob on loads. You'll have to pattern it for sure. Single round ball or buck and ball might be better than shot. Again, patterning it will be mandatory.
1/2" felt wads might be MUCH better than wasp nest.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 08:03:43 PM »
If shooting small shot you need to make sure that the load gives adequate penetration. So you will likely need to use 30-40 gr of powder and pretty good load of shot for a small bore.  So check the penetration. In a FL pistol 15 grains of powder is going to be low velocity. I used to have a 50 cal rifled pistol and with 45 gr of FFF and a PRB it made 800 fps. This BTW makes a good small game load. No meat damage at all. And its a decent backup for big game if needed.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine