Author Topic: 1801 Pattern Sea Service pistol authenticity  (Read 945 times)

Offline Stan0

• Starting Member
1801 Pattern Sea Service pistol authenticity
« on: August 13, 2023, 12:01:18 AM »
I recently came across a british sea service pistol on track of the wolf and ended up pulling the trigger on it. After closer examination I began questioning its authenticity. Besides the ramrod being a replacement the engraving on the cock looks really rough, the file marks on the lock plate look too fresh to be 200 years old and there is very little sign of it being fired, plenty of handling sign but not black powder residue or staining. I will post some pictures, track does 10 day inspection period and I hope to make a decision to keep or not by then. Let me know what you think.

Stan

Online ntqlvr1948

Re: 1801 Pattern Sea Service pistol authenticity
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 12:27:57 AM »
I just looked at the gun on track of the wolf. I can say that it is absolutely the real deal. I have 2 of these originals. Yours even has the  little crown stamped into the belt hook. And other proof marks are there. You don't have to worry about this gun

Offline Mattox Forge

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 02:14:28 AM »
I looked at the pictures as well. I agree it looks legitimate based on the photos. Things you can not generally see in photos like that are re-conversion weldings, casting seams on reproduction/replacement parts, and modern glue repairs. Look at the underside of the pan where it meets the lock plate. That's where you'll find evidence of welding if the pan has been added back on. Look inside the ring of the cock for casting seams, many times less thorough restorers do not clean up the castings very well.

The stock looks appropriate for the condition of the metal parts, and the replaced wood spots might be modern, but they could also be period armorer repairs. Who knows maybe the butt chipped bonking some French sailor at the battle of Trafalgar?

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/490/2/AAV-085

Mike

Offline lexington1

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 06:10:30 AM »
Tracks pictures are generally not clear enough to see detail well, but it certainly looks good from what I can see. I thought about grabbing this one myself, but I already have one. If I didn't I would have snagged it in a heartbeat.

Online ntqlvr1948

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2023, 02:33:07 PM »
Actually I went back and I have to say that the pistol was extremely well described giving every detail of the proofs etc. I don't know what you paid for it but it is a very nice looking pistol in better than average condition.

Offline Stan0

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2023, 07:46:09 PM »

Offline Stan0

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2023, 07:47:22 PM »
Thank you for all your reply's. Here are some higher res pictures than the ones on track.

Online ntqlvr1948

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 08:31:31 PM »
Looks good except it looks like the hammer has been repaired