Author Topic: Nice old brace  (Read 1331 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Nice old brace
« on: August 20, 2023, 01:34:07 AM »
Not sure this fits here . If not I can get rid of it.   I thought things were kind of slow here and this would be something different to look at.  I'm not sure about the date  it is not worn like the  to  {  A ] initials  on the other side. Any ideas of age ? Jim

« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 02:37:25 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Nice old brace
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 02:04:40 PM »
That is an interesting brace. It wouldn’t surprise me if that date Approximates the year it was made. It was a cherished tool for someone based on the number of repairs to keep it going. I’d like to see a close-up of that bit. It looks like a spoon bit, and the details would be interesting. Nice find Jim!
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 04:13:52 PM »
Thanks Rob,  I thought it was a neat thing. It was well used and well loved.  I have it displayed in my room.

JIM

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 02:58:28 PM »
That’s the kind of bit I was expecting. Hand made
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2023, 12:33:46 AM »
Beautiful.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2023, 07:13:04 PM »
Thanks rob and Robert.  Sometimes there is beauty in good honest use .  Not only is it pleasing to behold but also brings with it  a sense of its life and history.  Thanks for taking the time  to look.  Jim
JIM