Author Topic: Joseph Long Mule Ear  (Read 12584 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Joseph Long Mule Ear
« on: December 04, 2009, 09:59:59 PM »
Hi. I would like to share some pictures and information on this Joe Long mule ear rifle.

Statistics:
               Barrel- 39 1/4" long, 1.015" at breech, .979" at muzzle- straight taper.
               Cal.- .434
               OAL- 54 3/4".
               LOP- 13 1/4", drop 3 1/4".
               Butt plate- L 3.796" X W 1.143" X Heel 2.306".
               Wrist- H 1.3955" X W 1.177".
               Forestock width- Rear lock panel 1.457".
                                          Front lock panel 1.369".
                                          Rear pin 1.245".
                                          Mid pin 1.221".
                                          Front pin 1.219".
               Stock width- Just front of cheek 1.187".
                                   At cheek piece 1.390".
                                   Just behind cheek 1.176".
               Trigger guard width- Bow .559".
                                                Rail .3355".
                                                Front tip .3715".
                                                Rear tip .312".
               Front and rear of trigger guard triangular in cross section.
               Nose cap in two pieces with no groove.

The external mainspring on the lock is broken.

I found it interesting that the barrel pins are about one inch in front of the silver inlays.  Could this mean that the barrel could have been shortened?

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Sorry about the poor lighting. It was the best I could do at the time.
=====================================================

Admin 12-05-09  Joe Long Signature

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:25:42 PM by nord »

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Joseph Long Mule Ear
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
What a great find! A Joe Long side hammer rifle. Long seemed to like barrels under 42 inches so I doubt that this one has been shortened, although you can't rule it out entirely. I have heard that he made a few of these, but have never seen one to this time. Thank you for letting the folks here have a look at her. It is a really fine gun.
The barrel pins look right for spacing and the muzzle end of the stock is slanted down to be parallel with that same angle where the rear entry pipe is. The forearm inlays are for pure ornnmentation, apparently. Old Joe put a lot of effort and artisty into this rifle as many of his tend to be rather plain. Any Joe Long is desirable, however.
Thanks again, Nate.
Dick

longrifle

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »
That is really a great rifle !!!

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 01:09:30 AM »
There are many feature of this gun suggestive of Long and other "Upper River" makers, but many unlike Joe Long such as the oblong barrel escutcheons . Most importantly and specifically the barrel signature is not like that on many of his other guns...The "J" is not that of Jos. Long, nor is the "L".
The barrel has almost certinly been shortened.
If you read the initials from the other side, perhaps that is the clue to the gunsmith identity or perhaps the barrel was a later replacement when shortened.
A picture of a full signature of Jos Long has been added above for comparison. I have looked in Chandler and can't match the patchbox or the initials. I believe the first to be a "T.".   Not sure about the second initial.
Hurricane
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 06:37:15 PM by hurricane »

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:45:06 AM »
The middle picture of the ram rod channel,  there appears to be two inlets for a barrel lug, between the entry pipe and the first inlay, about two inches apart.  The rear inlet appears occupied by a lug.  Think they had to cut off the breech and move the barrel back?
Kunk

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 06:16:32 AM »
Hurricane....I'm with you on this one.   It's "similar" to a Joe Long, but I don't think it is one.   Just too many things that
don't look right.    Triggers....very unusual.    Patchbox....not up to a J. Long quality.    The initials are way back at the
breech end of the barrel, plus, they don't really look like Joe's initials.   The moon on the cheekpiece,and the brass plate
on the edge of the cheekpiece are similar to a Long, also the football sideplate....all look correct.  I have seen other Joe
Long rifles with mule ear locks so I don't question that.  The square escutcheons out along the barrel are unusual, have
never  seen them on a Long rifle.  As I said before, it just doesn't look right..........Don

Offline Loudy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 07:37:11 AM »
Nate,

I'm also with Hurricane on this one.  A nice rifle..., but probably not made by Joe Long.  Don has already pointed out many aspects of this rifle that are not seen on known rifles signed by Joe Long with his full signature.  Photos of several Joe Long attributed rifles can be found in a book entitled "The Kentucky Rifle and Me" by Edith G. Cooper. 

There were at least eight other gunsmiths with the initials J.L. that worked within what is generally considered the Upper Susquehanna gunsmith school in central Pennsylvania.  I believe Joe Long himself had two sons, James and Josiah, that are known to have made at least a few guns each.       

I am aware of a "J * L" signed rifle with very similar vine-like engraving and similar rectangular shaped inlays down either side of the forestock.  This rifle was attributed by the owner to gunsmith/farmer John Laudenslager b. 1803.  John Laudenslager worked in Union (now Snyder) County, Pennsylvania (near Selinsgrove) before removing to Portage County, Ohio in 1834.  John had a son Jacob Laudenslager b. 1828 that also worked as a gunsmith at least part-time.

Thank you very much for posting the photos.  I really like these mule-ear locked guns!

Mark     

Offline nord

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »
On memory only...

Look at the Morrison in the library. Morrison and Long were neighbors and your gun has certain traits corresponding to these makers, but it's by neither hand.

My nephew owns a mule ear that I believe was made by the same hand as yours, though I can't yet verify the signature. If so, then made in the Wilkes-Barre Scranton area.

One last observation: Those rectangular inlays were used by a maker in Owego, NY.  I've never seen a mule ear by this man and the workmanship of your rifle would appear to be superior to his. One thing I've learned is never to say never. His rifles were Upper Susquehanna guns as certainly as those of Long and Morrison.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 08:58:31 PM »
I posted this because I also had doubts. The big question is- if not Long, then who and where? Has anyone seen this signature before?

Nord: Who was the maker of your nephew's gun? How about some pictures for comparison.

Offline nord

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 09:45:07 PM »
Nate -

Private message in your box.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 11:12:58 PM »
Nate,

The more I look at the initials on this rifle the more they look like T*L and not J*L .  What do you think?  Unfortunately, I don't have any Upper Susquehanna gunsmiths on my list with these initials.  Nice rifle.  Any chance of getting a photo of the inner working of the lock? 

Thanks,
Mark   

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 05:01:23 AM »
This is not a Joe Long, but it could be a George Long.  I suggest turning your computer upside to take a look at this signature (that's what I did, but this could be a little more challenging if you have a desktop). 

What it is not.  The sidelock is not quite the one commonly used by Morrison.  It is similar, but there are enough differences to distinguish it.  The patchbox is not Morrison or Long.  The barrel was cut down and set back.  I would like to see the inside of the lock to determine whether this was always a sidelock.  The patchbox looks early (almost Berks like), but it could just be a late departure from other styles used in the Upper Susquehanna or it from New York.  I don't think the signature is T * S or T * L.   

What it may be.  The signature looks to be J or G * L.  George Long worked in several locations, finally settling in New Berlin and then about 2 miles east of New Berlin (where he lived at the time of his death).  He often profusely inlayed his rifles, with odd shaped inlays that are consistent with the inlays on the subject rifle (if they are even original).  It could also be a Loudenslager because of the somewhat folky engraving or maybe it is southern New York.  There is nothing I can compare it to, except for a rifle recently sold that was signed J L, which was undoubtedly a Loudenslager.   

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
Spotz,  were Joe and George Long brothers?  Please tell me more about Loudenslager, I can't find him in any of my references. Thanks.

Offline bdixon

• F & AM #376.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 12:43:29 AM »
What a neat looking lock!

Offline Loudy

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 03:03:17 AM »
Nate, 

I know you addressed your questions to Spotz.  I thought I would chime in anyway.  I am not aware of any substantiated family ties between Joe Long and George Long.  An early Snyder County rifle collector named Dalas Ewing reported a "large, heavy match rifle" marked "G. P. Long" that he attributed to George Long.  He worked between 1840 and 1900 in Beaver Springs and New Berlin.  He may have had connections to gunsmith Isaac Unangst.  Regarding the Laudenslager/Loudenslager/Laudenschlager etc. gunsmiths.  There was at least six Snyder County gunsmiths that spun out of this clan.  The earlier ones appear to have apprenticed under gunsmith Sam St. Clair in or near Kratzerville.  If you're really interested in these folks I suppose I could probably put you to sleep with more details than you care to know.  Again, thanks for sharing photos of your side-slapper rifle.  I hope to try to recreate a gun like that someday.  I want to attempt building the external main-spring version of this type of lock. 

Mark Loudenslager   

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 04:01:30 AM »
Mark beat me to the post, but I defer to him on the Loudenslager/Laudenslager clan in view of the familial connection.  George Long is a nephew of Joe Long and I know the farm on which he lived before his death.  His old farm borders land I own on top of the mountain behind me.  There is a good article in a local history book (New Berlin Heritage 1992), which discussed George Long and discusses his relatively late work, including double shotguns. 

Jeff Spotts

Offline Loudy

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:04 AM »
Here's some basics on the Laudenslager gunsmiths...

Samuel H. St. Clair b.1793  d.1849
Believed to have apprenticed nephews Samuel & William Laudenslager.  May have also taught John Laudenslager.  Worked in Kratzerville, Union (now Snyder) Co. near New Berlin.  Signed rifles in script letters S*S or S. H. St. Clair.  A nice signed St. Clair rifle sold recently at the big Morphy's auction.     

John Laudenslager b. 1803 d. 1879
Was an older cousin of Samuel & William Laudenslager.  Worked in Snyder Co. until abt. 1834 then removed west to Portage Co., OH.  In his later years he was more of a farmer than a gunsmith.  Had a son Jacob that also followed to gunsmith trade to some limited degree. 

Samuel J. Loudenslager b. 1812 d. 1891
William Laudenslager's older brother.  Worked in Union Co. before setting up shop in Juniata Co. near Mexico.  He was the most active Laudenslager gunsmith.  Many of his rifles have survived.  He signed his rifles in script letters S*L .  He made several swivel-breech guns.  A few Sam Laudenslager rifles sold at the recent Morphy auction.   

William Laudenslager b. 1817 d. 1882
Samuel's younger brother.  Worked in Union / Snyder County for several years.  Sometime between 1850 & 1860 he removed west to Wyandot County, OH.  Seems to have done as much farming as he did gun building.  A few rifles signed W*L have been attributed to William Laudenslager.     

George Ulrich b. 1820 d. 1888
A second cousin to the Laudenslager gunsmiths.  Belived to have apprenticed under Sam Laudenslager.  Worked in Juniata Co. with Sam Laudenslager before opening his own shop in Shamokin Dam in Snyder Co.  Signed his rifle in script letters JG*U .  His rifles seem to be few and far between.       

Jacob Loudenslager b. 1828 d. 1906
Oldest son of John Laudenslager.  Early census records list Jacob's occupation as gunsmith.  However, after 1860 it seems he was mostly a farmer.  He moved from Union Co., PA to Portage Co. OH with his parents in 1834.  He left Ohio abt 1875 and settled in Allegan Co., MI.   

Henry Laudenslager b. 1839 d. 1912
Said to have learned the gunsmith trade from his cousin William Laudenslager.  Had a gunsmith shop for many years in Fair Oak, Snyder Co., PA. 

Mark Loudenslager

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
Wow! Thanks for all the replies. Keep it up. Boy, if only this gun could talk.

Offline Loudy

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »
Spotz,

For my records, what are the details regarding George Long's family connection with Joe Long?  I guess he was the son of one of Joe's brothers.  What was the name of George's father? 

Thanks, 
Mark

dannybb55

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 03:53:50 PM »
Any chance that you could loosen the side nail and show us more of the lock? The hammer solves any difficulty with right hand cocking, very elegant. It looks like he drew out the tumbler pivot  with a pair of flat fullers, maybe a sprung set for single handed work. How thick is the rear of the plate and what does the sear look like? Also could you lay a rule next to her for some scale.
                Thanks for the look. Danny

Offline Spotz

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 12:26:36 AM »
From memory, I believe George is William Long's son.  I will confirm this as soon as I am in front of the book I previsouly referenced.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I will try to get some lock internal pictures in a couple of weeks when I'll have access to it again.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 02:07:39 AM »
Here are the pictures of the inside of the lock. Sorry they took so long and are such poor quality.

dannybb55

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:09 AM »
What a great lock. It's a dead simple design, I would have never thought of that sear spring. Thanks