Author Topic: Interesting Whetstone Horn  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Interesting Whetstone Horn
« on: August 29, 2023, 04:58:42 PM »
I purchased this several years ago here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, it’s the fanciest one of these I’ve ever ever seen. I’m thinking it was made in the late 1700’s to the early 1800’s, what do you think?

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
Re: Interesting Whetstone Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 05:20:31 PM »
That's gorgeous.  BTW, the stones are still commercially available.  Sometimes confused with drinking cups worn on a belt also.  Only way to tell the difference is those used to carry water and stone will have the inner edge beveled from the stone wear.  The cup will/should not.  Can we see a view of the edge?  Thanks for posting.

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 07:44:31 PM »
Interesting, I never thought of it being a drinking cup, but I guess it could be. Here’s the picture you asked for, what do you think?

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 11:24:38 PM »
I think you nailed it.  Whetstone horn with the thinned wall along the bottom edge as oriented in your photo. Thanks. I still think it's gorgeous!  BTW, I love the Valley.  My family and I spent much time there when we lived in Maryland and to complicate the issue I was and still am very interested in the War Between the States (Civil War) and was involved in many different ways.  Take care.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 02:56:04 AM »
Fullstock Longrifle,

This is a beautiful piece of horn work.  Thank you for sharing the images of it.

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 03:01:52 AM »
Fullstock Longrifle,

This is a beautiful piece of horn work.  Thank you for sharing the images of it.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin.

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 03:03:29 AM »
I think you nailed it.  Whetstone horn with the thinned wall along the bottom edge as oriented in your photo. Thanks. I still think it's gorgeous!  BTW, I love the Valley.  My family and I spent much time there when we lived in Maryland and to complicate the issue I was and still am very interested in the War Between the States (Civil War) and was involved in many different ways.  Take care.

Yes, the Shenandoah Valley has a lot of history.

Offline Mac

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 02:21:39 PM »
FYI
Have a collector from Western Pa. doing a display of these horn containers and other items made by Gunsmiths at the Eastern Pa. Longrifle show
Sept. 29 & 30 2023

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 02:32:26 PM »
FYI
Have a collector from Western Pa. doing a display of these horn containers and other items made by Gunsmiths at the Eastern Pa. Longrifle show
Sept. 29 & 30 2023

That’s great Mac, I’ll bring this one with me when I come up.

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 04:31:27 PM »
It looks a lovely old horn, Fullstock!

Can I just add that sometimes in some paces a stick was used in these rather than a stone?

A grease mix was made with fine sand and tallow of some kind and the stick used as a stone would be.

An old farm worker back in Yorkshire remembered his father carrying one when scything hay.  He told me his dads scythe was so sharp it would "shave a mouses tail".
White sand from up on the moors was what he used in his  horn.

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2023, 11:31:23 PM »
It looks a lovely old horn, Fullstock!

Can I just add that sometimes in some paces a stick was used in these rather than a stone?

A grease mix was made with fine sand and tallow of some kind and the stick used as a stone would be.

An old farm worker back in Yorkshire remembered his father carrying one when scything hay.  He told me his dads scythe was so sharp it would "shave a mouses tail".
White sand from up on the moors was what he used in his  horn.

Interesting, thank you for that information.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2023, 04:25:14 PM »
Frank, That's a good one . It has a nice early look to it. Most of these are pretty plain and unadorned.  Here is a picture of one I picked up years ago . I think it's a little newer than yours . I hope it's okay to add  these pictures to your post.
  Jim

JIM

Offline j. pease

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2023, 05:11:55 PM »
These professionally made ones have been felt to be made in York county. I have several in this same style. Have seen several more.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2023, 12:04:45 AM »
 How the heck did they keep them attached to a belt or what ever with a wide clip like that on them I wonder?

Tim C.

Offline Frozen Run

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 02:06:37 AM »

Offline JSMOSBY

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2023, 02:59:48 PM »
FYI, I was looking at a vintage Qreen Anne style powder horn thinking seriously about purchasing.  It was expensive.  I don't see them very often if at all.  The dealer also had a whetstone horn very similar to the OP's horn and closely matching the powder horn I was considering.  Then I noticed a "witness" mark plugged hole where a belt clip was originally attached to the powder horn.  I didn't buy the powder horn even though the patina on the horn base plug, etc. matched that of whetstone horn and knowing the dealer my comfort level wasn't there.  It could have been a conversion make-do but not for me.

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2023, 07:56:27 PM »
Frank, That's a good one . It has a nice early look to it. Most of these are pretty plain and unadorned.  Here is a picture of one I picked up years ago . I think it's a little newer than yours . I hope it's okay to add  these pictures to your post.
  Jim

No problem, nice horn!

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2023, 10:30:59 PM »
FYI
Sept. 29 & 30 2023

Looking forward to your show Mac