Author Topic: Kintnerville Axe  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Thimble Farm

• Starting Member
Kintnerville Axe
« on: November 04, 2023, 05:09:52 AM »
Late afternoon.  The 25th of December, 1776.  The rain was changing to sleet.  The “game was pretty near up”.

George was roused from a brief slumber in his tent, to form up.  He made his way with the rest of his Pennsylvania militia company down to the river.  They boarded the large Durham Boats, although packed tightly in, they still shivered awaiting to cross the ice choaked Delaware.  Besides his rifle, George’s belt axe was secure to his hip, wrapped in cloth to deter rust from the elements and ensure use for years to come. George made the crossing with his men…

Years would pass and another unit was raised in 1812.  Jacob was named Colonel of the Upper Regiment of the Bucks County Militia.  Besides his rifle, Jacob carried his father’s belt axe at his hip-the same axe which made that fateful crossing with George so many years ago.

I have attached images of a late 18th century/early 19th century belt axe, hand forged with period haft.  It came from an old estate in Kintnersville, PA.  These axes were multi-generational, prized for their utility and service as weapons in times of war.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: Kintnerville Axe
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 10:34:23 PM »
Other than imagination and wishes, what about this hatchet head points to it being 18/19th century?
Psalms 144

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 11:09:01 PM »
I agree
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 12:08:36 AM »
I see no weld line on the cheeks showing the junction between the wrought iron body and the steel bit. Any axe or hatchet not showing this boundary was made entirely from steel, was not hand forged, and probably dates to after the Civil War.
Andover, Vermont