Author Topic: September Postal Match  (Read 3197 times)

Offline alacran

Re: September Postal Match
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2023, 03:52:47 PM »
Hopefully I will get out and shoot my 50 yard targets this weekend. The wind has been sucking for the last ten days. Supposed to have light winds this weekend.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline alacran

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2023, 01:23:53 AM »

I got to shoot my 50-yard targets today as well as my #4 25-yard target. I shot the first three 25-yard targets on the 11th.
I shot all these at the creek bottom. There is a 4x4 trail that parallels the creek. Too much of a PITA to shoot one at 25 and then one at 50. I use my truck bed as a loading bench. I'd have to keep moving my truck to do so. Didn't feel like shooting from the bag.
Took me a little over two and a half hours to shoot the five targets. Had I gone to our local range it would have taken at least four hours.
It was very cloudy when I started shooting, and it started to sprinkle on my second fifty-yard target. for some reason I was mostly shooting to the right.
The clouds parted for the third target and the Sun shone brightly. Made a big difference.
The fourth fifty-yard target started with a #$! shot and the clouds came back, again I ended up shooting to the right except for the first shot.
Picked up my toys and moved the truck to the 25 yard line. Still cloudy but at least it wasn't windy today.
This target was troublesome since I have my sights set up to shoot 6 o'clock hold on the NMLRA 8 ring 6 bull target at 25 yards. That works the same on the 7 ring black 50 yard target.
I had posted my first three 25 yard targets on the 12th. I thought reposting them with their 50 yard partners would make it clearer.
I shot all the targets offhand with my .54 Hawken.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 01:43:04 AM by alacran »
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline okawbow

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2023, 04:28:50 AM »
Good shooting! 88 on the #3 targets.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 02:31:33 AM »
I got the 25 yard done. But then put in 2 charges of powder before shooting the 50 and went home rather than shoot it.
Maybe tomorrow for the 50 yard.

Of course the first shot was the 10. Then the low 8. The last shot was high.  .

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline okawbow

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 03:25:47 AM »
Looks like a 45, good shooting👌
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2023, 10:44:21 PM »
Well that was interesting. Don’t ask how the low shots came about its embarrassing.   ::)

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2023, 02:29:00 AM »
I was a little cranky with the 54 cal so I went back out with the 50 cal swivel breech after lunch. Shot 2 sets of targets. Set 1 and set 2. Most of it shot in about as windless as we ever get till 50 yard #2.
The 50 yard #2 was as the wind was increasing + one I put way out high from moving my head, call it a flinch.  At least this rifle was on call when I did my part.

img upload

The #2 was with the normal load of 90 gr of FFF. It shoots it better.
The 4 shot group was me actually shooting well but the wind kept increasing and I used 3 increasingly far right holds for the 3 that cut the same hole. Edge of the yellow, in the red and then last shot the low one of the three was out at the 5 ring. Fun in Livingston Montana.

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2023, 02:27:52 AM »
Well is doesn't look like I'll get a chance to finish this month's postal match.  I went out to the range yesterday and shot two targets at 25 yds. elbows on a table and sitting, so here's those two targets.  I didn't have time to go out to 50 yards...I was more interested in fine tuning my sights for a rendezvous coming up at Cache Creek next weekend, and I accomplished that.  I filed a couple of licks off my front sight and brought it up into the 10 ring, a little too late for this month's match.
Rifle is a Chambers'Virginia in .60 cal...590" pure lead ball, 8 oz denim, water sol. oil and water 1:10.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 02:31:26 AM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2023, 06:00:09 AM »
Looks like Alacran with an 88 total. Congratulations!
Thanks to all who participated.

Chuck