Author Topic: Fall bear hunters  (Read 1128 times)

Offline smylee grouch

Fall bear hunters
« on: September 04, 2023, 02:37:10 AM »
Fall bear season starts in most areas that have a fall season this weekend. Good luck to all and don't forget the photos.   :) ;)

Offline MuskratMike

Re: Fall bear hunters
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 03:01:27 AM »
Tried for spring bear in the panhandle of Idaho with blinds and baits set up at two remote primitive airstrips with no success as the lightning, wind and thunderstorms kept driving us out. Probably not going for fall bear but have a hunt planned for next spring in Idaho but this time in an area with lots of bear and high success rates. I have no great desire to shoot bears as I kind of like them but do want one with my .54 flintlock.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline Jakob

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 03:08:34 AM »
I did get a bear tag, as they're abundant up here (and tags are cheap), but as I also kinda like them, I'm not going out of my way to get one. Deer, on the other hand.....

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 04:38:13 AM »
I hunt bears because they are tasty, and I use the grease/oil and the hide.

Online snapper

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 04:55:22 AM »
I cooked up some of my Spring bear a few weeks ago.  It was quite good.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 06:49:00 PM »
I hunt bears because I like to hunt and like Bob in the woods I like bear meat, use the bear fat \oil and the hide. Bears are a renewable. Hope your not affected too badly by all the fires Bob.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2023, 03:10:54 PM »
I hunt bears because I like to hunt and like Bob in the woods I like bear meat, use the bear fat \oil and the hide. Bears are a renewable. Hope your not affected too badly by all the fires Bob.
The fires haven't been that bad of a problem here as yet. Hopefully the coming cooler weather will help the situation everywhere. 

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 08:17:15 PM »
Though we here in Prince George, British Columbia have not had wild fires close by, we have been affected by the smoke of the hundreds of fires that continue to consume our forests.  and it has been so hot for so long that the berries in the bush have dried up and there is no food for bears.  So they have moved in to town.  We see bears almost every day out our windows and have had them up our spruce trees in our yard several times.  The media reports that there have been thousands of sightings right in town over the past month.  So far, no one has been attacked...I check my yard for bears every time I let my dogs out to pee.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 09:01:10 PM »
We have bears on the property every summer. Luckily, they have never been much of a nuisance ever since we started keeping our trash bin secured in the garage. Funny but my dog never bothered with bears and the bears virtually ignored my dog. She left the wild turkey and the bear alone, but she disliked the deer... she got stomped by a doe when she was a puppy. She took it as her duty to keep the deer away.

Now that my dog is gone, I have noticed loads of more deer coming through. This weekend we had a parade of Wild Turkey walk right by me when I was out in the yard, and a handful of doe and a young buck just stood and gawked at me when I was inspecting my fruit trees. I got within "wrestling" distance to them. They are fond of the plums and apples I think.

K
Galations 2:20

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2023, 12:19:24 AM »
Season here in Maryland doesn't open until the last week of October.  Draw for permits but I only put in for preference points this year, new job the last few months and not sure I can make it this year.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"