Author Topic: High prices at todays Morphy auction  (Read 1676 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
High prices at todays Morphy auction
« on: September 06, 2023, 06:22:31 PM »
Andover, Vermont

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: High prices at todays Morphy auction
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 06:49:51 PM »
Actually it varies and it’s clear I have no ability to predict what things will go for. A trade gun went for about $5000 and a Bucks County fowler for less than half that.
Andover, Vermont

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 07:18:47 PM »
I watched for a while. It seemed that most of the Pennsylvania rifles (not all) struggled to bring the minimum estimate. The Gross rifles brought more than I expected they would. Like you said, fun to watch. Hope some on here get a few good deals.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 07:55:12 PM »
The prices aren't high. The dollar isn't worth anything anymore.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline debnal

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 04:30:58 AM »
A beautiful Armstrong relief carved rifle for 36K, a George Eister relief carved rifle for 11K, a John Noll relief carved minty rifle for 20K, a Dickert for 15k, one of two known Armstrong pistols for 11K. I'd say the prices were really fair. On the other hand a beat up Rev War fowler signed and dated on the side plate went for 11K.
Regards,
Al

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 04:56:27 AM »
A beautiful Armstrong relief carved rifle for 36K, a George Eister relief carved rifle for 11K, a John Noll relief carved minty rifle for 20K, a Dickert for 15k, one of two known Armstrong pistols for 11K. I'd say the prices were really fair. On the other hand a beat up Rev War fowler signed and dated on the side plate went for 11K.
Regards,
Al

Yes, it was a mix. I happened to start viewing when a couple items went higher than I expected.

One could buy a nice original late flintlock rifle cheaper than a set of new parts nowadays. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Austin

• Austin Paul
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 04:29:51 PM »
Brooks is right! Trade those worthless dollars for something that you can get ahold of.
Eat Beef

Offline debnal

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 05:22:06 PM »
I wonder if the fact that these were Louie's guns had anything to do with the low prices at the auction. Were people afraid of what he might have done to his guns? A George Eister for 11K! Jud Brenan gets more than that for his rifles.
Al

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2023, 05:28:22 PM »
Brooks is right! Trade those worthless dollars for something that you can get ahold of.

Good advice! I’m all in!!!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2023, 07:29:33 PM »
I still believe it is a dealers market in the States  especially  with guns shipped from the UK with the market at rock bottom prices ,, antique's sxs percussion average  1 to 200 pound sterling you can buy a sxs  Italian repro at auction  from £50 + commission Most fill a container and shipped to the States and other countries ,It has always been a common thing but now it is worse than ever.
Feltwad

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 02:59:50 PM »
I was surprised to see a Nicholas Shennefelt, back action, shortened barrel go for $4k. Then add 26% buyers premium plus tax. One the other hand, as Al stated, $11k for an Armstrong pistol??? Seems like a great buy.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 05:59:13 PM »
Debnal,

I'm familiar with all of the rifles from Louie's collection. The only rifle that had any restoration (by Louie) was the Eister, it had (roughly) 4" of the forestock repaired at the muzzle. There were 2 others in the collection that had restoration when he acquired them, they are both in the museum here - the Rupp (50's period reconversion) and a Nicholas Hawk Rifle.

In regard to the Hawk Rifle; He stated that a Hawk rifle was difficult to acquire and that he was satisfied with the rifle and didn't believe he could execute a restoration of the magnitude that it required and be satisfied with the final results - so he left it alone. He was most certainly his own harshest critic. There wasn't a bad rifle in that collection, his nod of approval was the benchmark of a good gun acquisition.

Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2023, 06:17:30 PM »
As Buck  said  Louie had a good eye and kept the best. The Armstrong that he restocked was such a good  job John Armstrong's ghost came back to shake Louie's hand. There were two single actions and the two Dance revolvers that were his also . Oh and the stag handle Bowie knife that went for ten grand. 
JIM

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2023, 06:28:50 PM »
I think if a gun had restoration done on it, a Louie Parker restoration would add value to the gun, and not detract from it...

John
John Robbins

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »
John,

I’d agree with that statement.

Jim,

He was an unmatched talent as was his eye for detail. His absence has left a void that can’t be filled within the fraternity.

My opinion,

Buck

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2023, 12:18:20 AM »
I think if a gun had restoration done on it, a Louie Parker restoration would add value to the gun, and not detract from it...

John
I agree, Louie was a master.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2023, 01:05:28 AM »
The prices aren't high. The dollar isn't worth anything anymore.

That's for sure.In 1950,I was 14 and did a really stupid thing. I rode a Brahma Bull at a county fair and won a $100 bill and in THAT
time frame an adult that had $100 was doing well.$35 a week was a good pay check.I bought  a new bike.top of the line Shelby for $50and the rest for new clothes shoes.Until recently I had a $100 bill under my drivers license and forgot about it until yesterday when We had
to call a plumber for a repair job.He has the until then,forgotten C note for 15 minutes of work.Auctions to me are an abomination and have
driven prices beyond the obscene in a number of venues.The once "mighty"dollar now on life support.
Bob Roller

Offline moseswhite

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 03:05:38 AM »
For sure Louie had the magic in his hands . That guy could make anything !!! I dearly miss him !!! A void in our collecting hobby that can't be filled !!

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2023, 04:46:55 PM »
When I was young i earned my FIRST dollar and went to the 5&10 or DIME store and for a DIME i bought a picture frame for that dollar bill.
NOW,the frame costs a dollar and the dollar's worth a dime >:( >:( >:( >:(.
Bob Roller