Author Topic: Best Steel for a Tumbler  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Brad Larson

• Starting Member
Best Steel for a Tumbler
« on: September 11, 2023, 04:39:03 PM »
I need to turn a replacement tumbler for an original percussion rifle under restoration. Not surprisingly, no currently made replacement tumber will work. Does anyone have recommendations as to the best steel? Many thanks.

Offline Bob Roller

Re: Best Steel for a Tumbler
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2023, 05:02:37 PM »
I have used 1144 "Stressproof" for over 50 years and my locks are all over the USA and Europe with NO reported breaks
of tumblers or anything else.The material is (I think) sold in about any quantity by McMaster-Carr.It machines like leaded
12L14 and hardens in oil and no exotic or unusual tools are needed to make a tumbler for a lock.Oil harden,polish bright
and draw to a straw color and let it air cool.
Bob Roller

Offline Brad Larson

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2023, 07:28:03 PM »
Many thanks. I'll order some 1144 and give it a go.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 06:05:59 AM »
1144 will work. I, being me, would make sure i put a radius on the shaft where it meets the tumbler body. Other than that can’t see a problem as Bob indicates.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 03:23:35 PM »
01 tool steel is a great choice. You can buy round stock the correct dia. and it works well in the lathe and with the file. Hardens to the correct hardness for the job, and its easy to find, like MSC or even Metal Depot.
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"