Author Topic: Fowler Kit  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Scota4570

Re: Fowler Kit
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2023, 07:27:46 PM »
12 ga for waterfowl was mentioned above.  In my experience steel shot and black powder is a useless combination.  Steel must be pushed faster than BP can achieve to be effective on waterfowl at any range.  Are we talking about using bismuth or tungsten shot?

Offline 45dash100

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2023, 10:07:51 PM »
12 ga for waterfowl was mentioned above.  In my experience steel shot and black powder is a useless combination.  Steel must be pushed faster than BP can achieve to be effective on waterfowl at any range.  Are we talking about using bismuth or tungsten shot?

Isn't shot relatively low FPS even out of modern guns?  I thought it was almost never faster than 1500fps, and was generally around 1300.  Doesn't seem like like that would be hard to do with black powder, round balls go much faster.  Is the issue sealing the bore or something?

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2023, 10:49:55 PM »
Here in the UK  any smooth bore size smaller than a 11bore is what is known has a sporting gun a fowler is a large bore of 10,8,7,6,4
Feltwad

Offline foresterdj

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2024, 05:07:24 AM »
In no more than 6 months ours will be ready for sale.  We've completed a prototype and although I'm biased, I think it's pretty kick ass.  Might be something to consider...

Hoping progress is being made on this offering by Kibler Longrifles.

Online Moleman

• Starting Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2024, 07:59:44 AM »
Look at sitting fox, they look to have some nice kits.

Online Daryl

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2024, 08:39:23 AM »

Isn't shot relatively low FPS even out of modern guns?  I thought it was almost never faster than 1500fps, and was generally around 1300.  Doesn't seem like like that would be hard to do with black powder, round balls go much faster.  Is the issue sealing the bore or something?

Anything over 1,000fps with BP is difficult to achieve with BP & this is with a sealing wad stack, which lost people do not use today in ML shotguns.

The 3 dram equivalence for a 12 bore, is 82gr. Today's powder will not deliver that speed with 1 1/8oz. shot, let alone the 1 1/2ounce loads most people shoot in 12 bores and even 20 bores.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2024, 04:31:40 PM »
After reading all these In my opinion I'd say they are all good kits and ideas.  Probably depends on how good a job is done assembling it.  And the gauge by what you are using for.  Most I see are 20 ga.
Just so long it is a good kit to begin with, or from a plank.
After doing a couple quality kits with no problems and great results I finally built one for myself from a cherry plank and a 24 Ga barrel and it is a great shooter, RB and shot.  I liked them all, but really liked my own.  It may not be quite as perfect but it is mine.

Offline Outlander

• Starting Member
  • young at heart, old enough to know better.
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2024, 11:34:51 PM »
Mr Kibler, it is now six months later, how about an update?

Offline duca

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2024, 12:13:56 AM »
In no more than 6 months ours will be ready for sale.  We've completed a prototype and although I'm biased, I think it's pretty kick ass.  Might be something to consider...
Hey Jim can you tell us what the Barrel length might be? Come on Jim wet our whistles a little bit
...and on the eighth day
God created the Longrifle...

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2024, 03:17:10 AM »
   Jim what about a picture of your prototype... just to please our anxiety!..!