Author Topic: Acadian Loyalist Hammer Poll  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Thimble Farm

• Starting Member
Acadian Loyalist Hammer Poll
« on: September 14, 2023, 04:03:25 PM »
Continuing with my articles, I’ve attached an image of another hammer poll axe in my collection. 

This axe has a more “traditional” tomahawk style blade and a, somewhat, interesting history.

The axe is hand forged with an elongated octagonal poll, dating to the late 18th century. Light weight, slightly over 1 pound.
It was owned, at one point, by an individual with an Acadian surname from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. 

Interestingly, that family surname was inter-married with other Acadians loyal to the British Crown during the American Revolution.  Almost seems counter-intuitive after the 1755 removal of Acadians.  Nevertheless, these loyal Acadian family provided intelligence, acted as guides, and interpreters to the British Crown prior to 1783, were at Fort Howe, otherwise “served in Canada”, being recommended for land grants in the 1783 Studholm Report.

Was this axe part of a loyalist guide’s kit?, a gift from the Royal Fencible American Regiment? Or perhaps carried by an interpreter for the British Indian Department?

Interesting to ponder…

Offline Songwriter

• Starting Member
Re: Acadian Loyalist Hammer Poll
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2023, 03:20:26 PM »
What was tha Acadian surname?

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2023, 04:53:38 PM »
Looks a lot like a lathing hatchet.  What features distinguish it from a common lathing/carpenter's hatchet?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 05:00:40 PM »
Nice poll. Can you show the eye? Looks to be all steel, not forged of wrought iron with a steel bit welded in.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2023, 07:04:32 PM »
Rich,
With all due respect to Thiblefarm, going back through his posts on his axes, he does not appear to reply and also appears to have his mind made up what he has before posting.
I am not trying to be antagonistic, towards him, but he has posted some glaringly modern examples  and when this fact is presented, it is ignored.

All the best to both him and yourself,

Richard.

Moderators,
If I a bending any rules above, please delete.

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2023, 09:19:01 PM »
His axe, his story, no worries. I post my view so that others can hear a couple different perspectives on an original, and come to their own conclusions, which may differ from either of us.

I will say that to me, shape, style, and manner of construction are factors I take into account with axes. Any axe that appears to be made of only one material - steel - with no forge welds must be post Civil War to me. I do not know of axes before then made of all steel with no welds. Shape alone does not determine date of manufacture for me as many styles have remained unaltered since the Middle Ages.
Andover, Vermont