Author Topic: Stuck ball !!  (Read 4824 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Stuck ball !!
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:30:15 PM »
Yesterday's 30 shot w walk included a broken tumbler notch in a T/C and one that puzzles me still!   The walk included a time out at the clubhouse to recharge and fill out the powder and ball supply for the rest of the walk.....  One ol boy cleaned his rifle using LV lube (which I judged a waste of good stuff) Anyway, while loading his patched ball for the 2nd shot after the cleaning session, the patched ball got jammed halfway down the bore of his Pedrosoli long rifle and would not budge.  We tried pounding the thing with 2 different range rods and it was solid in fact felt like steel on steel.  He chose not to take the time to p down the bore or whatever; but simply quit.  He had also tried pounding the rod against a concrete bench to no avail.  I am at a loss to guess just what in H     bound up that ball thataway.  Not cold enough to freeze in  the bore.  Ideas??

Hard rock fouling pulled from the plug that pulled off the jag halfway out the bore and the following patched ball jammed on said fouling halfway down the bore ::) ???

Its a puzzlement.  What say you.   I told him to go home and soak the @!*% thingee!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:31:40 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline Darkhorse

Re: Stuck ball !!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 06:57:26 PM »
Could have been a bad spot in the bore. I had a Lyman GP flintlock a few years back. It had a real rough spot halfway down, seemed to be smaller than the rest of the bore, and rough. That's the way it felt with a patch.
I didn't notice it until the first day shooting it when a prb stuck solid halfway down. I was lucky as I was able it hammer it down.
Decided not to steel wool it out but to have fun and shoot it smooth. Took about 100 rounds but it was a lot more fun than turning a rod and drill!

One Thanksgiving cold dry air came down south. I shot a doe with a flint but when I tried to reload I could'nt get the short starter to push the ball past the muzzle. It was locked solid. I was in the woods so all I could try was to knock the ball of the SS against a solid tree trunk. Didn't want to move then either but finally I got it down about 5 inches. Luckily I was able to seat the ball with the RR. Figured it was some weird combo of temp, humidity, and the powder I was shooting.
Don't really know.
American horses of Arabian descent.

BrownBear

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 07:14:34 PM »
I've only seen one thing "similar."  The guy shot a bare, unpatched ball just cuzz, and loading the next patched ball was just about impossible.  It appeared as though leading or a single curl of lead, or something, was bad enough to really grab the patch.  Coincidentally it was halfway down the bore.  He used a puller to retrieve the ball, then invested a fair bit of time with a bronze bore brush.  On the next try the ball seated normally.

Grain of salt for what I know of your situation, but is there a chance of leading?

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 07:35:02 PM »
Yesterday's 30 shot w walk included a broken tumbler notch in a T/C and one that puzzles me still!   The walk included a time out at the clubhouse to recharge and fill out the powder and ball supply for the rest of the walk.....  One ol boy cleaned his rifle using LV lube (which I judged a waste of good stuff) Anyway, while loading his patched ball for the 2nd shot after the cleaning session, the patched ball got jammed halfway down the bore of his Pedrosoli long rifle and would not budge.  We tried pounding the thing with 2 different range rods and it was solid in fact felt like steel on steel.  He chose not to take the time to p down the bore or whatever; but simply quit.  He had also tried pounding the rod against a concrete bench to no avail.  I am at a loss to guess just what in H     bound up that ball thataway.  Not cold enough to freeze in  the bore.  Ideas??

Hard rock fouling pulled from the plug that pulled off the jag halfway out the bore and the following patched ball jammed on said fouling halfway down the bore ::) ???

Its a puzzlement.  What say you.   I told him to go home and soak the @!*% thingee!

Mighty Queersome, mighty queersome indeedy.  Having to wipe after 1/2 of a little 30 shot trail walk means he's not shooting a tight enough combo and he's fouling.  Weak combination and burning patches, or too sharp a crown cutting the patch may have allowed ball/bore contact and with the fouling already there, ended up leading the bore at that spot.  Just a thought now.  Wiping it with LHV merely cleaned the fouling off the lead, leaving the leading streak or clump with a clean surface. Sounds as if he'd cut the next patch on loading and when the exposed ball's surface made contact with the clean leading, they two became one, virtually welded in place.  One possibility that requires freak circumstances?

Way back, almost prehistory :D, when we were learning what to use in our guns to make them clean shooting, we stuck balls in the bore - usually 1/2 way down. Lucky for us we had 1/2" hickory rods and usually used them against a range roof post or pillar to seat the ball on the powder.  I've driven a few of these 'range' rods 2" into a pine or sprue post trying to get a stuck ball down the bore. They can be tight, that's for sure, and that's only from fouling. We learned then, that a ball only .005" under bore size and 10oz (.020" to .022") denim made a ball/patch combo that didn't get stuck, allowed unlimited shooting without having to wipe and shot well in all rifles we used that combo in, past and present.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »

Mighty Queersome, mighty queersome indeedy.  Having to wipe after 1/2 of a little 30 shot trail walk means he's not shooting a tight enough combo and he's fouling.  Weak combination and burning patches, or too sharp a crown cutting the patch may have allowed ball/bore contact and with the fouling already there, ended up leading the bore at that spot.  Just a thought now.  Wiping it with LHV merely cleaned the fouling off the lead, leaving the leading streak or clump with a clean surface. Sounds as if he'd cut the next patch on loading and when the exposed ball's surface made contact with the clean leading, they two became one, virtually welded in place.  One possibility that requires freak circumstances?

Way back, almost prehistory :D, when we were learning what to use in our guns to make them clean shooting, we stuck balls in the bore - usually 1/2 way down. Lucky for us we had 1/2" hickory rods and usually used them against a range roof post or pillar to seat the ball on the powder.  I've driven a few of these 'range' rods 2" into a pine or sprue post trying to get a stuck ball down the bore. They can be tight, that's for sure, and that's only from fouling. We learned then, that a ball only .005" under bore size and 10oz (.020" to .022") denim made a ball/patch combo that didn't get stuck, allowed unlimited shooting without having to wipe and shot well in all rifles we used that combo in, past and present.
This is/was truly a puzzlement.  Leading is mentioned and I did notice that he was using kinda flimsy 'looking' blue and white patching, no idea if he was tearing them at the muzzle or not.  First time I ran in to the guy so have no idea how much he shot an ML before.  That leading at a rough spot in her might be the problem.    ???

Any more ideas out there?    Anybody?  I'd like to help the guy out (if he don't quit already) ::)

Sam Everly

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 12:47:34 AM »
Roger if the fellow has shot them old plastic sabots, they will clog up the groves. I had a friend that did just that . He wanted to try just a lead mini and they would not go down at all . We , or i took some scotch brite and soap and water and after about 30 mins of real work , it did ok after that ! 

William Worth

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 05:05:40 PM »
I have several barrels that have a bump in the bore that coincides with the rear sight dovetail slot.  They must hammer the dovetail slot out and upset material inside.   :o

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 05:42:17 PM »
I have several barrels that have a bump in the bore that coincides with the rear sight dovetail slot.  They must hammer the dovetail slot out and upset material inside.   :o

THAT sounds dangerous.  Bump into the bore means overstressed metal. What goes down, must come backup.

54Bucks

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:46:25 AM »
 Check out the thorough article on lapping muzzleloaders at  www.beartoothbullets.com  According to the author he has found it to be quite common for there to be bore constrictions at dovetails.Both for sights and keys/pins. This applies to production muzzleloader.However he does not really pin down the cause, nor does he imply that the same constrictions are common to custom made longrifles.
 Personally I've always been leery of those slaked-in keys.As well as a heavy hand on the hammer when dovetails are installed.Be it to upset the ends of the dovetail or to lock in the key or sight afterwards.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 06:16:15 PM »
On some guns, Taylor has been staking barrel wedges for a lot of years, without damaging the bore.  Even I managed to stake  some without damage.  I'm not sure how or why a production company would make a tight spot cutting a dovetail, but it happens- I guess.  They can be bad at drilling and tapping holes in the barrel though. My wife's Seneca barrel had a sight screw hole that almost went through into the bore. No more than .050" left, with a dmple down into the bore at the bottom of it- presumable from the tip of the tap they used to cut the threads. The bore rung at that spot - never short started, but it took about 2,000 shots to do that - mid 1970's.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 07:28:39 PM by Daryl »