Author Topic: Track or Rice barrel  (Read 2476 times)

Offline JasonR

Track or Rice barrel
« on: September 16, 2023, 08:06:42 AM »
Needing someone to clue me in please, whats the difference in barrel quality (see below)? Want to build a straight cylinder fusil fin and really see the only difference being the price and name. Anybody had problems with this particular Track barrel? Given the price difference I'm puzzled. Colerain and Burton not an option. Thank you.

TotW...
20 gauge, smooth bore,
44" octagon-to-round, "C" profile, 4.2 lb,
Straight cylinder
$279

Rice...
Pretty much same as above with 42" or 46" variants.
$350

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Track or Rice barrel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 01:22:45 PM »
I know nothing about tracks name barrels. For all I know they might be made by Rice or any of the other quality makers. I do know Rice barrels an have used them for yrs. The track is a pig in a poke. You have no idea about it. The Rice is a no brainer. You will get Quality an Jason stands behind his barrels. The saving of a few bucks can sometimes be more than you bargained for. Id go Rice an not give it a second thought
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 03:02:37 PM »
Will Track tell you what company made the barrel?  If not, I would walk on by.  Given the overall cost of parts and the time involved, do you really want to take a chance on a barrel of unknown quality?

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 05:11:31 PM »
Jason,
Rice is the way to go. I have used and will use others when a particular style calls for it. Rice barrels need much less work in finishing and making sure the breech plug is set right. For me that is worth a few more bucks.

Cory Joe

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 06:55:38 PM »
If they're both breeched and fitted with plugs it won't matter.  Track will probably require a little more cleanup.  Both will stand behind their products.  It's largely going to be an issue of the length you want and the profile you want, as Track's wedding bands usually (or used to be) a little more pronounced.

I've dealt with David, Carole and Ethan at Track for 30 years now if not longer.  They don't sell cr ap and they absolutely stand behind what they sell.   They're not shady corner hucksters and they're not selling sub-par barrels; nothing 'questionable' about them or they wouldn't be selling them.  You think they want liability issues?
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2023, 06:59:52 PM »
I’ve got “track” barrels and Rice barrels and Rice barrels are much nicer. I personally would not use any swamped barrel for a Fusil Fin. Contact Larry Horrigan in Michigan (269 793 3265 or 269 845 0460). He is the French barrel guru.
Psalms 144

Online Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
Yes if you're building a French fusil of some sort, both Track and Rice are going to be too thick walled at the muzzle to be believable if you're obsessed with accuracy.  Those barrels (antiques) were quite thin walled.  Pretty much any of the guys making one like that other than Ed Rayl perhaps is going to be making it out of tubing and not a drilled blank, so there's that too if this is something that bothers you.  Doesn't bother me but clearly it becomes a hot topic here.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2023, 10:07:21 PM »
Yes if you're building a French fusil of some sort, both Track and Rice are going to be too thick walled at the muzzle to be believable if you're obsessed with accuracy.  Those barrels (antiques) were quite thin walled.  Pretty much any of the guys making one like that other than Ed Rayl perhaps is going to be making it out of tubing and not a drilled blank, so there's that too if this is something that bothers you.  Doesn't bother me but clearly it becomes a hot topic here.
Does Rice still offer the French fowler barrel? I got one that they had at Friendship a couple years ago. I’m holding it back until I decide exactly what I want to use it for.
Psalms 144

Offline JasonR

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2023, 06:45:28 AM »
Yes Rice offers 3 on the update website:
 42", 46", and a 38.5" Spanish barrel.
All 3 are for French fowler/fusils.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 07:25:26 AM »
Yes Rice offers 3 on the update website:
 42", 46", and a 38.5" Spanish barrel.
All 3 are for French fowler/fusils.
Well it turns out that mine is ever so slightly swamped. Definitely can’t see it with the naked eye, but the calipers don’t lie. Mine is simply marked French fowler, its Mod choked 20 bore, 48” long with 8” octagon section. Nice barrel.
Psalms 144

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2023, 12:08:53 PM »
Jason,
Rice is the way to go. I have used and will use others when a particular style calls for it. Rice barrels need much less work in finishing and making sure the breech plug is set right. For me that is worth a few more bucks.

Cory Joe

I agree with Cory, TOW barrels may be great but for my money I would buy Rice barrel's. I used them almost 100% of the time and never had a problem with any of them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2023, 04:30:19 PM »
There are a lot of fine barrels out there,  but I have used mostly Rice barrels since they started making them. I’ve never had a problem with any of them and  never found a reason to change.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2023, 04:43:04 AM »
I'd (and have) take a Rice barrel every time.  I have a few and trust them.
   There is iron in wattlebuster's words.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline JasonR

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2023, 08:07:07 AM »
Appreciate the feedback. Especially that last reply! Thanks

Offline redheart

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2023, 08:12:53 PM »
I have three Rice barrels, and I'm very thankful that there is a company that is providing this level of quality. I'm astounded at the accuracy that I'm getting. I love having a barrel that's so good, that when I get a wild shot I know that it's my fault. However my Rice barrels are rifled, even so, if you're seeking a smoothbore barrel for competition it might be worth the small extra initial cash outlay.   :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 08:24:56 PM by redheart »

Offline TDM

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2023, 09:31:17 PM »
I have both smooth and rifled Rice barrels. Very happy with them. But just to eliminate any second guessing I’d give Track a call and find out from them who makes their barrels.

Offline alacran

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2023, 04:10:39 PM »
Rice barrels are great. I know nothing about Track's barrels. However, you do have other options. Charles Burton, Bobby Hoyt and ED Rayl also make great barrels.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Herb

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2023, 10:25:36 PM »
I needed a .54 barrel and asked Track about theirs.  He said they could not disclose who made them.  I wanted a .54  caliber 15/16 barrel with a 3/4 x16 breech plug, which the Track brand has, but which was out of stock.  Check and see which major barrel maker has a 15/16 .54 caliber barrel with a 3/4x16 breech plug and I think you might consider the Track barrel to be quality made.
Herb

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2023, 12:42:50 AM »
Back in the "DAY"a good barrel was sought and Bill Large did all he could.Good barrels.fine/fancy wood,cheapest possible locks and triggers and Germany kept my shop open.$#*! of  note to say he least.
Bob Roller

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2023, 10:10:55 PM »
Never had a problem with any of my Rice, Green Mtn, Douglas, or Charlie Burton barrels, definitely not the case with one of my Orion barrels.  However, I'm a little partial to Charlie's FCI barrels. 

Don Richards
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2023, 12:57:31 AM »
I'm a little partial to Charlie's FCI barrels.
I only have one of Charlie's barrels and I consider it top-notch, would not hesitate to order another if I ever need another. Unfortunately, I am about to come to the end of my gun-building old age has a way of doing that to you :)
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2023, 03:32:44 AM »
My GRRW barrel has been top-notch since 1986.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V