Author Topic: .015 Patch Material  (Read 1624 times)

Offline Jerry

.015 Patch Material
« on: September 17, 2023, 09:16:17 PM »
Looking for .015 thick patch material. Anyone have a fabric store or outlet where I may purchase yards of material for patches? I want to cut my own patches. Many thanks. Jerry

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: .015 Patch Material
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 09:54:17 PM »
 Have you tried micing Muslin at a fabric store? The Jo Anne store here carries it is .015 unwashed.

Tim

Offline Jerry

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 12:40:53 AM »
Many thanks, Tim!

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 03:01:36 AM »
When you go to JoAnn ask to see a 100% cotton cloth they call “ 40 Drill”, or maybe it’s “ Drill 40”. It consistently measures.015-.015 ( compressed) for me. I buy it 3 yds a time and cut my own patches with left handed scissors. Best present I ever got.. :)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 04:04:33 AM »
The red and white striped pillow ticking at JoAnn's after washing twice to remove all sizing measures .015 with a dial caliper. These patches are good enough that I have picked them up at the range after being shot, put a little more lube on them and reused them with no burn holes. I only use them in my .40 as I shoot a .395 ball, all the rest of my rifles I use the blue and white ticking .018 as those have a .010 smaller ball than bore.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline alacran

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 03:55:59 PM »
I have nothing but good things to say about JoAnn's #40 cotton drill. It shoots very well in all my pistols, from.54 to .32.  Just as good in both my .54 rifles.
It is marginal in my .58 using .570 balls, it doesn't hold up with heavy loads. Same with my .61, it doesn't hold up to 85 grain loads of 2f, and that is the lower load.
By the way if you go to JoAnn's tell them you are looking for utility cloth, that's where they keep it.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 08:09:19 PM »
Joanne's also sells denims by weight. 8 ounce through 14 ounce will meet all requirements for patches. 10 ounce ( currently .021") meets most of my needs with balls .005 to .010" under bore size. One thickness for all guns simplifies patching. This patching is all reusable for me in rifles and smoothbore, from .36 to 69 cal.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 08:47:13 PM »
 Be aware that stockpiling a mile of this stuff may not be the best idea you ever had. Cotton over time loses much of its strength. All of a sudden that perfect patch ball combination doesn’t work. Check the fired patches and you’ll usually find the patches absolutely destroyed.
 I ran into an old buckskinner who told me this secret. I of course didn’t believe him, but bought some new ticking just in case. I was totally shocked when the rifle returned to its previous ability to shoot tight groups. The sizing in the material seems to slow the deterioration quite a bit, but once you wash this out of cotton material it begins to weaken. If you use a particularly tight patch ball combination it doesn’t have to weaken much to cause problems.
 Linen on the other hand is virtually rot proof. I have bought old linen napkins from the thrift store that are very old and are still strong as iron.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 11:16:29 PM »
For years I made do with blue stripe pillow ticking; that is until I discovered "mattress ticking" which is heavier material and compressed, for me, at around .017" to .018".  My rifle velocities increased in at least one of them some 300 fps!  Later I discovered cotton duck and started using that and liked it better.  but not long after I discovered heavy canvas, the kind used for drop cloth, which compressed to .023" to.024".  I used calipers and squeezed the jaws with both hands.  Uncompressed it measured .030".  Denim was similar but the weave seemed tighter.  The canvas seated much easier than the thinner cotton duck and the denim just a bit harder.  My rifles all have the crowns well polished and it makes loading so much easier and doesn't get cut entering the muzzle.  The loads are rather tight but I can still seat the prb with the wooden underbarrel rod.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 02:51:44 AM »
Hungry Horse:
It's not that I disagree with your well thought out comments on using old material, but here is a counterpoint.
It all depends on how the material is stored. When I find the material I want I will buy a bolt of it or a major portion of a bolt. When I get it home if I need patches I will cut off from the bolt what I need to make the patches or strips. These I will wash twice to remove the sizing then dry and iron them. I then create the patches or strips I will need for the next few months or even a year. The remainder of the bolt is kept in an airtight dark container and stored away from the direct light, heat and cold. I have a partial bolt of material that I bought 8 years ago and since it is the only material of this thickness I use on one single rifle it will last me for many more years. The patches still work great and if I find one lying on the range I still can re-grease it and fire it again.
"Muskrat" Mike
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline White-tail

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 04:31:49 AM »
https://www.onlinefabricstore.com/47-inch-aca-blue-ticking-fabric-.htm
I just posted this ticking material recommendation on another site.  I highly recommend this ticking which has a thickness of 0.015" after being washed.  It solved my torn/burned patches problems.

Offline Marvin S

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 07:08:05 PM »
You might consider a Rollie wheel cutter by fiskars while you’re shopping. Look for discount coupon for it.

Offline TDM

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2023, 05:06:57 AM »
And take a dial or digital caliper with you to verify the compressed thickness.

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »

This is the handiest for carrying into the fabric store.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 07:46:29 PM »
 I totally agree a measuring device is important when buying any material for patching. An old buckskinner friend of mine gave me a snap-mic that Ames probably made forty years before the one pictured in the previous post. It has saved me from so many material buying mistakes. Before I got the old Ames mic I had a simple plastic dial caliper
that worked fine, but it relied on thumb pressure, where the Ames pretty much duplicates the same pressure every time.

Hungry Horse

Offline Jerry

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2023, 12:57:34 AM »
Have you tried micing Muslin at a fabric store? The Jo Anne store here carries it is .015 unwashed.

Tim
And take a dial or digital caliper with you to verify the compressed thickness.
Tim, Did I understand: mixing Muslim? Thanks, Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2023, 07:13:39 PM »
Mic-ing = measuring  I suspect.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »
MUSLIN...not Muslim
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Rosetree

• Starting Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 02:03:03 AM »
I recently bought a yard of #40 Drill from Joann's.  My nearby store was out for weeks, so went to a more distant store.  Young lady had trouble with my request  - but a more mature lady found it in the utility section.  Seemed like nice solid material in the store.  I took it home and washed it, tumbled to damp, then draped it on the porch to fully dry.  Seems ok.  Waiting to get the ok to drive again then I'll test it out.     It did measure 017 in the store.  after washing it did not lose anything on that measurement.  Surely if it works well I'll get another 2 yards.
Too bad they won't ship.