Author Topic: Plains Rifle?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline okawbow

Plains Rifle?
« on: September 18, 2023, 09:24:01 PM »
Interesting half stock. .48 caliber smooth. .990-.900 tapered barrel, 30 1/2” long. 13” LOP. (C Taylor) engraved on the top flat. C L Dunning carved into the comb. Wood is figured maple or mahogany. Ramrod is possibly period.

Ideas on age, where made, anything about C. Taylor?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 09:30:39 PM by okawbow »
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline ed lundquist

Re: Plains Rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 11:25:57 PM »
Looks like birds eyes around the patch box, I'm thinking maple.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 02:35:13 AM »
I did find a C. Taylor listed in earmi.it list of US gunmakers as an “unknown location halfstock rifle”. The seller was in the west VA. /VA. Area. But the gun could have been made anywhere, I suppose. This rifle was shot a lot as evidenced by the greatly worn tumbler hole.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 06:07:25 PM »
There is a Calvin Taylor, Triangle New York. Mid 1800s to late. (Summers ,American Gunsmiths)

Offline okawbow

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 06:26:34 PM »
Thanks Avirc. Good chance this is a New York rifle. Right time period.

Online Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 06:47:12 PM »
You are welcome, hope he is your man.

Offline Longknife

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2023, 03:55:38 PM »
"Plains Rifle"? NOT! That is one of the most miss used terms in this hobby!
Ed Hamberg

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2023, 04:19:41 PM »
My grandfather was C.M.Taylor was born in 1873 but used small bore muzzle loaders long after repeating rifles were common.
He was pleased to see my first efforts and one was a 25 caliber with too much drop in the stock.The 22's made in the high school wood working class were not of interest to him.He passed away after 99 years and 11 months of life and did his last big job at age 94 when he
put a new roof on the kitchen.THIS rifle shown here looks like it came from a good shop,maybe in Pennsylvania or Ohio.
Bob Roller
When I mention my grandfather I am speaking about my maternal grandfather and never knew who my maternal grandfather was and only know little about my father's family so I'll stay away from that subject.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2023, 07:51:24 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline okawbow

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2023, 04:24:49 PM »
Yea, I realize this rifle never saw the plains, but that term is often used for this style in larger calibers, in gun books and auction ads. I believe the so called TC Hawkens and other similar generic guns were patterned after this style rifle and not the genuine Hawkens. I have a soft spot for these later guns because I grew up playing with my Great Grandfathers halfstock that looked very much like this one.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2023, 04:33:50 PM »
Bob, this rifle may have been made in New York, just across the border from Susquehanna county Pennsylvania. Calvin Taylor worked in the Triangle township area, not too far from Ithaca, NY.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2023, 06:16:41 PM »
  "The New York State Firearms Trade" (Swinney & Rowe), also cite a Calvin Taylor in the Town of Triangle/Upper Lisle from 1834 through the 1870's and Marathon (NY), 1875 (this information is taken from various census records and county directories).
    There is a photo of an over/under rifle-smoothbore gun with the barrel signed in script "C. Taylor".

Offline okawbow

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
I would like to see the photo of the signature.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2023, 11:22:30 PM »
Okawbow,
   PM sent.

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2023, 11:38:10 PM »
One more pm sent.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2023, 11:42:42 PM »
Thanks Steve!
I’m convinced the signatures are the same. So, Calvin Taylor is the gunsmith. Triangle, New York, Broome County. Probably made about 1850’s