Author Topic: Unknown rifle identification  (Read 956 times)

Offline elementaltoad

• Starting Member
Unknown rifle identification
« on: September 22, 2023, 12:16:01 AM »
I recently aquired my first longrifle and would like to get an idea of its origin and authenticity before I attempt any repairs or preservation. Any help would be appreciated, I can get better pictures of certain features or measurements if needed.

I'm unable to find any letters, words, or signatures on it so far but it appears to be a percussion rifle with a smooth bore, possibly around .50 cal., the barrel staples have broken and will need to be replaced or repaired. The lock has a lot of wear and scoring on the wood, it certainly appears well used. The patchbox is opened by pressing the bottom plate on the stock which appear to be a "hidden" button.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Unknown rifle identification
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 12:32:47 AM »
Welcome to ALR, I hope you enjoy your stay.

I do not have a guess who might have built this rifle but just wanted to tell you to NOT do any restoration or cleaning until you know more about the gun. Un-professional restoration can quickly turn a $5K gun into a $750 parts gun. Cleaning other than just removing grime etc while using something like Renaissance Wax can also greatly de-value a rifle.

Maybe someone here will be able to pinpoint a general area where this rifle may have originated.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 01:18:29 AM »
Unique final, kind reminds me of Nicholas Hawk's finials.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 02:08:46 AM »
Yes, sort of a Nicolas Hawk look alike, but not a N. Hawk rifle.
There were several that made guns in the style of Hawk, a guy named Roth for one.
Have you looked for a name, or initials on the barrel, between the breech and the rear sight area?
John
John Robbins

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 09:39:36 PM »
That lock caught my eye and I remembering making a series of these styles with the squared tail plate for a gun maker but can't remember the name.Is that a single set trigger or a single trigger?
Bob Roller

Offline Dave Peelgren

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 10:34:14 PM »
I don’t see a lot of restoration for that gun. I think the button for the patch box is in the toe plate.

Offline John Cotterall

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 03:39:05 AM »
Let me start with I am relatively new to this. As a couple people said this resembles a Nicholas Hawk or at least the patch box finial. More pictures would help. A close up of the nose cap and forestock shape. The top of the comb including the butt plate extension. The brass along the bottom of the forestock I believe was used in the Lehigh region and not always to cover up where the ramrod drilling went off course. I am interested to hear from the other people on this site that know way more than I do about this stuff. Thanks for sharing this 🙂