Author Topic: Roy Keller Lock Repair  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Ron Hodge

• Starting Member
Roy Keller Lock Repair
« on: September 26, 2023, 10:16:14 PM »
I have a Roy Keller lock, that the mainspring does not fit when in full cock. The top of the arch on the main spring is too large.. Also the length seems to be a little long. The previous owner has three holes in the lock and none line up. Would anyone have advise as to how to buy a spring or new lock.  the lock is 5" x 15/16" with a tapered tail.  thanks

Offline t.caster

Re: Roy Keller Lock Repair
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 05:24:15 PM »
That's a Roy "Pa" Keeler lock probably. Sounds like It needs some hot re-bending. Can you post a pic?
Tom C.

Offline Ron Hodge

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 06:02:37 PM »
I hope the pics are attached.

/Users/sandymoffathodge/Desktop/IMG_2985.jpg/Users/sandymoffathodge/Desktop/IMG_2986.jpg/Users/sandymoffathodge/Desktop/IMG_2987-2.jpg/Users/sandymoffathodge/Desktop/IMG_2988.jpg/Users/sandymoffathodge/Desktop/IMG_2985.jpg

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 06:46:45 PM »
Ron , nothing there but a long string of text that goes nowhere.
To post a picture, Click the 'Add Image to post' as in the pic below, then follow the instructions.
Welcome to the forum!
John

John Robbins

Offline Ron Hodge

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2023, 12:42:33 AM »

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2023, 06:26:47 AM »
Pa Keeler from Eaton Rapids Michigan.

I bought many a pound of powder from him, a very nice fellow.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!

Offline Ron Hodge

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2023, 08:18:17 PM »
thanks for all the help.  By the way I got the mainspring compressed and inserted. It does fit, but it will not stay on full cock, worn out I guess.  If anyone knows where I can find a lock like this or new parts, let me know. thanks

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2023, 11:15:55 PM »
I think your tumbler needs a slight modification to allow the
the spring clear the bolster and lock bolt. It looks like it cant let the  sear fully engauge. If you reduce the inner tumbler shoulder and take a little off the tip of the mainspring the sear will fully engauge and Bob's your uncle. Could be wrong but it sure looks that way.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2023, 06:12:10 AM »
This modification coupled with shortening the tip of the main spring should solve your problem with out having to go through finding a replacement lock. The other possible senario could be the full cock notch has shutzen build up and needs to be cleaned.  I missed a shot at a buck becasue of a dirty full cock notch. I cocked the gun to full and raised the rifle almost to position when the hammer slipped out of full cock shooting over the back of the deer. He was so supprised he just looked at me and started to walk slowly away. I also learned to never hunt with a new made ramrod that is not sealed properly. Mine swelled so tight the use of my hunting knife back  pounding on the jag end to extricate it from the rifle was difficult. The Buck was over the hill before I had gotten the rod out to reload. I examined the lock and there was gunk built up in the notch. Once cleaned it never was an issue.

Dave Blaisdell