Author Topic: black powder?  (Read 13014 times)

Dave K

Re: black powder?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2009, 03:02:24 AM »
For what it is worth, we weighed and measured all balls during the testing. Weight had to be inside of 1 gr. to be used and the balls had to be a consistant demension. To me, it makes no difference if the ball actually measures .490 or .491 or. 489. , as long as they all measure the exact same. The same with patching, it was all actually measured with a micrometer. I have never yet seen patching that measures what the package says it does. Actually most patching was from Jo Ann's in many assorted thicknesses of cotton. When I sent the patch/ ball/lube combo I was using. along with the barrel to Colerain, Scott actually thought that maybe my patches were too tight a weave and didn't have the compressablity that may work better.  Lubes tried was anything you could think of. Some Lehigh, olive oil, Bore btter, some grease that appears to be a mixture of bees wax and possibly olive oil. I am actually looking for a hunting lube, so I was not really interested in spit type of lubes as I want a rust inhibitor in the barrel. The balls used were from Rush Creek and also Hornady. Each test was done seperately so that we would not conflict with other data.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:15:23 AM by Dave K »

Daryl

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2009, 04:11:56 AM »
I find the Mink Oil that track sells shoots well in all the rifles I've tried it in, for a hunting lube.  It also shoots very cleanly.

Dave K

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2009, 04:45:23 AM »
Thanks, I will give it a try!

northmn

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2009, 08:10:37 PM »
Getting back to the powder brands, etc.  Another thought came to me concerning smoothbore use and powder quality.  I really do not know if there would be that much advantage in paying more for Swiss in my 12 bore with shot.  Fouling can be controlled somewhat with wad lube.  When I shot BP trap I really never had that much trouble with fouling.  Might be interesting as some use Swiss 1 1/2 f as compared to GOEX 2f.  Maybe Swiss 1F for big bores and shotguns ???

DP

Stonewall Creek

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2009, 02:21:24 AM »
i have shot all kinds of powder i shot the best score i have ever shot with chinese powder in my bench gun but i was shooting goex at a match one day and it was raining and i was having issues and changed to swiss and it straightened it out you can shoot less powder and it shoots cleaner it really shows itself in a bullet gun cartridge or muzzle loader swiss is all i purchase for shooting competively.