Author Topic: October Postal Match  (Read 3817 times)

Offline alacran

Re: October Postal Match
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »
Not a bad group. Tough target.

This is the best I could muster back in 2020. I hope to go out and shoot this for fun before the month is out. Right now I'm trying to fill the freezer.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline MuskratMike

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2023, 09:00:05 PM »
Went out today before the Pacific N.W. rains start tomorrow to try for a better score. That didn't happen. Lousy scores so I didn't bring the targets home with me. Here's to hoping the next month's target is a simple round target with scoring rings.
"Muskrat" Mike McGuire
Keep your eyes on the skyline, your flint sharp and powder dry.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2023, 09:24:11 PM »
I hear ya Mike.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline okawbow

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2023, 12:46:15 AM »

Finally got out today. My .36 cal. Bedford was misbehaving though. Every third or fourth shot was a hang fire. Was really hard to see the target until the sun came out for a few minutes. Still got three good ones in a row on the barking target. Still have a couple targets printed and might get back out. However, its fall turkey season in Tennessee and my flintlock is still clean.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline alacran

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2023, 02:58:28 PM »
Good shooting Okabow. You are currently in the lead with a 24.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Online Daryl

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2023, 01:17:10 AM »
Taylor and I got out again. This is the best I could do.
The middle one (18 score) has 6 shots on it, 5 by me including a total miss and the 10 shot was Taylor - WITH MY RIFLE!!! LOL
Took him a while to get it to go off. Just over 4# trigger, but fairly crisp.
Anyway - 90gr. 2F Schutzen 10 ounce denim (.021") 10:1  water:WaterSol.Oil .682" pure lead ball.
25yards offhand.(off the hands)

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2023, 01:52:36 AM »
I shot my squirrel rifle again today....25b cal. T. Allison inspired rifle with #3 buckshot at .250", 10 oz denim precut patch soaked with Water/Ballisol 10:1, 30 gr. 3Fg GOEX, 4Fg GOEX in the pan.
Daryl and I discussed whether my first shot was half in or not, and until I dropped a ball into the hole I couldn't be sure.  But I believe it to be half ball in/out for the higher score.  So, 3 5's and 2 8's equals 31/50.  My other targets today were out of the competition. I got Daryl to shoot my .25 flinter for the last shot of the day, while I shot his .69.  He laughed for a solid 5 minutes after shooting the 9.5 pound squirrel rifle...instant ignition with zero recoil and ounces for trigger pull.  When I shot his rifle, I was sure I was still in half cock, and that there must be blood squirting out from under my finger nail.  But when it went off, it was crisp with no creep and no backlash.  The sights were apparently on the squirrel's head when it popped.
Sunny afternoon but we were in the shade, temperature around -8C or so...chilly on the fingers and toes.  But arguably the best day we'll have til next spring.  Everything frozen here...winter's comin'!!

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online Dave B

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2023, 06:31:37 AM »
I got out this morning and shot  my squirrel twice before cold feet made me bail on any other targets. I should have quit on my first target at 25, only shot a 5 on #2. I will try again tomorrow.

The credit for shooting this original barrel restock goes out to Rich Pierce who freshed it out to .37 for me. Shooting a .360 RB   .010 patch over 40 gr of 3F.

It is a joy to shoot even if your toes are froze
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 05:54:49 PM by Dave B »
Dave Blaisdell

Offline alacran

« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2023, 02:15:43 PM »
IT took me some time to come to a conclusion on Taylor's target. After further review the call is a 26. 
I had to get out a target and use 1/4 inch brass rod to make the call. Dave B did a very good job on his target, cold feet and all, gives him a 25.
So far this is a horse race with Taylor in the lead with a 26, Dave B is hot on his heels with a 25, and Okawbow very close with a 24.
Great shooting guys!

Offline Jakob

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2023, 06:50:20 AM »
Ended up working all weekend, so wont be able to shoot again. Fun target.

Offline alacran

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2023, 01:12:40 PM »
Congratulations to Taylor for winning the October match with a 26. Also, congratulations to everyone who shot it. Looking forward to what Taylor has in store for us in Novembers match.