Author Topic: Still fighting rust....  (Read 863 times)

Offline Bigmon

Still fighting rust....
« on: October 02, 2023, 06:16:47 PM »
Finishing up a fowler that am using LMF browning.  Really like the way it works and easy way to apply.
However, man it is hard to stop the continuing rust.  I was able to immerse the locj parts in ammonia and it is fine.
But the barrel has been a problem.  Didn't bother with the baking soda as it seems to hgave never worked for me and went staraight to the ammonia.  Really scrubber it with a tooth brush and ammonia, but no way to actually immerse or soak it.
Used heat and motor oil, all kinds of rust stopping oil.  Then two heavy coats of paste wax.
After several days setting in the corner I just checked it, and it still is getting a fine rust build up?
So I carded it again, cleaned off the wax and am trying something new.
I have a spray product used to stop acid buildup and that white $#@* that builds up on car battery terminals.  Says it stops and neutralizes acid.  I used it once some months back on a lock and the rust stopped.
Just remembered it and if it works, I will post it.
But any other ideas are appreciated.  I know we went over this recently and I tried about everything but it didn't stop until I tried this battery product.
Will report back,

Offline Not English

Re: Still fighting rust....
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 08:15:39 PM »
If you still have the barrel de-waxed, I'd keep oiling it until it stops. I've been a fan of used motor oil. I think it darkens the browning. It will take some time and multiple applications to make it stop. You can use 0000 steel wool and drain oil if you feel you need to card it. Don't be afraid to handle it while it's still oily. I usually just stand the oily barrel in a corner and forget about it for awhile. It is normal for it to continue rusting (browning) after you've quit actively browning it.

Offline Mule Brain

• Summerville, SC
    • Charles Towne Long Rifles Black Powder Club
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 12:07:20 AM »
I found Pentrol to be the magic bullet for this. Clean it as you normally would, dry it and wipe on Penetrol 

Worked great on my last build 
Those Without Arms Cannot Defend Freedom

South Carolina's Oldest Black Powder Club

https://charlestownelongrifles.com/

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 03:44:47 AM »
That is the one big reason I quit using it. I like Dangler's browning solution better because it's easier to stop. I have found if you put your parts in hot water like you would rust bluing it helps slow it down. Depending on how long you leave it you can still achieve a brown color. Also you can use some ammonia water afterwards and give it a good scrubbing it will usually stop rusting.   

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 03:51:57 AM »
I have always used RIG gun grease!
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!