Author Topic: A Rifle for Critique...  (Read 2593 times)

Offline silky

A Rifle for Critique...
« on: October 05, 2023, 03:46:26 AM »
Good evening,

I'm grateful for any constructive criticism, suggestions, and thoughts on this rifle I finished ~2 years ago.  The original intent was to make a Lancaster-style rifle that could have been in the hands of an American rifleman during the American Revolution. 

My own critiques would take up way too much space here, but the biggest are poor choice of lock and overall poor execution of the patchbox installation (my first... lots learned).  The buttplate is that oddball one with the weirdly shaped heel, that Mike Brooks (accurately) says should be "banned from the face of the Earth!"  You may remember a thread I posted looking for help after I committed to installing it without first reshaping it (https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=63567.msg638793#msg638793)

Firsts for me: patchbox, any type of carving (incised lines), homemade sideplate/muzzle cap/sideplate/front sight.

It was built from a block of Sugar Maple.

I have been cleaning the garage these past few days, in preparation for a Fall/Winter gun build, and keep looking at it in the corner... lots I would do differently but I think there's lots I can learn from your experienced eyes with respect to design, architecture, execution, finishing... pretty much anything you think can help me improve and make us all better builders.

Thanks!

- Tom

Offline mikeyfirelock

• Age ? Voted for Nixon
Re: A Rifle for Critique...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2023, 04:15:20 AM »
You can criticize and nit pic all you want, but I’ve built probably 30 rifles over the past 50 or so years and I ‘d be proud to take that rifle anywhere.
Mike Mullins

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 04:39:16 AM »
I don't see anything really bad about it. I'm with Mike I don't like that butt plate and yes a bit smaller lock would look better on the rifle. From the photos I can't see anything wrong with the patch bow install. Looks like it was inlet nicely. I would like to see a steel pushrod sticking up from the heal for the patch box release. Also the forearm to lock panel area could have a better transition. Looks kind of flat right in front of the panel area on the forearm but may just be the photo. You have a nice stock profile and it looks really slim overall. My first couple looked terrible and awkward in profile. You can make a hundred rifle and still find things you don't like and would do different the next time around. Don't beat yourself up and have fun making rifles. Try new things and push your ability and you will be happy. Overall that is a pretty good looking rifle. Remember that most times we are our own biggest critic. 

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 05:38:40 AM »
Looks like a good gun to me as long as you don't hang a Lancaster label on it. Looks more "early Virginia". I don't mind the early lock either.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2023, 06:02:50 AM »
Looks like a very comfortable rifle to shoot. I would smooth the crown a bit to make it easier loading with snug patches.
Kinda like this one. The end of your thumb, in emery cloth or 320grit paper. Rotate your wrist, once in a while, 90 degrees for the barrel.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 06:57:07 AM »
I’d refine some of the lines: the right side of the wrist looks flat, at the muzzle end I’m not a fan of daylight between the stock/end cap and the molding can flow better close the the brass cap. These are just some refinements I’d make but overall it is very well done and nice to look at.
What is “wrong” with that style butt plate?
Thanks Richard

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 02:33:40 PM »
Very nice clean build. Nothing to criticize. Regarding the Bivins buttplate, it’s made to be easy to inlet. Just basically saw work. No doming which is unnatural and that pointed heel is wrong for the era. I’m still aghast that Bivins designed it.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 02:36:56 PM »
Hi Silky,
Very nice rifle and your workmanship looks to be top notch!  I see 2 things that are merely aesthetic.  The front edge of cheek piece would look better if it merged more closely with the contour line forming the comb.  The large plain lock and side plate really call out for lock moldings on the panels.  They are such a major feature because the rest of the gun is very plain.  Moldings with beaver tails to the rear would eliminate the sense that the panels are too short to the rear to balance out the lock and sideplate.  Also, don't be too concerned about having the stock but up against the fence of the pan if that creates a fragile little nub of wood.  It is fine to have a gap showing the barrel behind the pan. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2023, 03:40:18 PM »
Rich, thanks for the explanation on the buttplate.
Cheers Richard

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2023, 03:45:38 PM »
Can't add much.  Buttplate - meh.  I have no problem with the lock.  I like big locks on smaller rifles.  You all can make the analogy.

I'd ditch the wood behind the pan as was mentioned.  Just cut it off square.  It's an issue that pops up with modern 1/2" to 5/8" breech plugs (for liability) whereas most antiques were a bit shorter so the pan fence could be lined up w/ breech or a shallow groove filed across face of breech.  Most antiques with locks moved forward like this out of necessity are just cut square.  I don't like that long finger.

I'd diusagree with Dave on the beavertails.  To my eye, adding lock panel molding in this particular case - already on the large side - is going to elongate the overall appearance even more; it will create the appearance of going directly from lock panels to comb, bypassing the wrist altogether.  Kind of like a really stout guy with no neck.  JMHO

Honestly I think you're looking at it way too critically.  Just shoot it and leave it alone.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2023, 04:10:18 PM »
That is some clean work.  I like the lock.  If you flip through the literature you will see plenty of rifles with locks that are disproportionately large and small. 

Well done!!

Cory Joe

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2023, 04:20:23 PM »
Only one thing I'd like to add.  From some views it looks like the top of the wrist is a little on the flat side.  I think this comes from the tang being really long and having a substantial flare.  This fact kind of pushes a little more squarish shape down the wrist.

I think you've done a really nice job and should be proud!

Jim

Offline Daniel Coats

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2023, 04:34:34 PM »
Tom aside from the rifle I really like your humble approach to presenting it here. It looks to me like you have a good eye and attention to detail. There is no doubt in my mind your next rifle will improve. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Dan

"Ain't no nipples on a man's rifle"

Offline reddogge

• Starting Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2023, 11:47:33 PM »
It looks like a very nice rifle to me. It just needs some age and dirt to look better.

Offline john bohan

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2023, 12:03:56 AM »
I think its a nice rifle,just give this a thought, I gave my first one away.

Offline silky

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2023, 10:11:45 PM »
Thank you, everyone who weighed in with their critiques, observations, and suggestions -- all received and will be applied in future builds.  Satisfaction is different for everyone; for me, it's knowing that what I built wouldn't look out of place among the rifles of the era I was shooting for and is free of any major architectural flaws.  Now that Mike mentioned it, I've looked at lots of pictures of early Virginia rifles and I see what he's talking about. "... in the hands of a Virginia rifleman," then!

A few follow-ups...

- The patchbox itself is inlet well and functional, but in bending the brass and hinge, I left the hinge very proud of the surface such that it didn't need to be inlet very deeply. The result is a higher profile of that hinge than would be most appropriate.

- I think it was the lighting, as I put a profile gauge to the wrist and it's rounded the same on both the left and right sides.

- Yes, Jim nailed it: the top of the wrist is pretty flat and doesn't achieve a nice round profile til about halfway between the tang and nose of the comb.  This was one I wish I could have had back, as I realized after inletting it that the tang was way too long... lesson learned!

Thanks again!  The positive comments are just as helpful and confidence-inspiring for a guy who has never had the chance to hold an original flintlock in his hands.

- Tom

Offline silky

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
I don't see anything really bad about it. I'm with Mike I don't like that butt plate and yes a bit smaller lock would look better on the rifle. From the photos I can't see anything wrong with the patch bow install. Looks like it was inlet nicely. I would like to see a steel pushrod sticking up from the heal for the patch box release. Also the forearm to lock panel area could have a better transition. Looks kind of flat right in front of the panel area on the forearm but may just be the photo. You have a nice stock profile and it looks really slim overall. My first couple looked terrible and awkward in profile. You can make a hundred rifle and still find things you don't like and would do different the next time around. Don't beat yourself up and have fun making rifles. Try new things and push your ability and you will be happy. Overall that is a pretty good looking rifle. Remember that most times we are our own biggest critic.

Yes, the bottom is a little flat but I think it's because of the lock being pretty large? Had I rotated the front of it up anymore, the front lock bolt would have been a major issue with the ramrod (already tapered), and the tail would have pointed further downward than I wanted.  That said, can I improve upon that transition?  Here are a few more pics... it's tough to get good ones that really show it. The surface between the edge of the lock panels to the trigger guard is perfectly flat.

(I was able to cheat a little on the sideplate side by making the panel a little smaller than the lock side, to give a little bit rounder appearance)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:34:08 PM by silky »

Offline silky

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2023, 10:23:01 PM »
Hi Silky,
Very nice rifle and your workmanship looks to be top notch!  I see 2 things that are merely aesthetic.  The front edge of cheek piece would look better if it merged more closely with the contour line forming the comb.  The large plain lock and side plate really call out for lock moldings on the panels.  They are such a major feature because the rest of the gun is very plain.  Moldings with beaver tails to the rear would eliminate the sense that the panels are too short to the rear to balance out the lock and sideplate.  Also, don't be too concerned about having the stock but up against the fence of the pan if that creates a fragile little nub of wood.  It is fine to have a gap showing the barrel behind the pan. 

dave

Thank you, Dave!  I think I understand what you're describing with respect to the front edge of the cheek piece... is the line on this picture representing what you're saying? 

And Dave and Eric, would you just cut off that nub straight on like the second picture?  Nothing graceful or artistic about it... just cut it off?

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2023, 01:23:30 AM »
Nit-pick all you want, but I would be proud of this rifle.

Offline yellowhousejake

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2023, 04:49:52 AM »
I am not worthy of critiquing anyone's work, but I like it. It has nicer lines than many in RCA V1 and V2.

DAve

Offline X62503

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2023, 11:45:39 PM »
I, too, have no business critiquing anyone's work, and think this rifle looks quite fine.  I also think the lock's size is a good thing!

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2023, 12:38:24 AM »
Hi Silky,

dave

Thank you, Dave!  I think I understand what you're describing with respect to the front edge of the cheek piece... is the line on this picture representing what you're saying? 

And Dave and Eric, would you just cut off that nub straight on like the second picture?  Nothing graceful or artistic about it... just cut it off?

Hi Silky,
That is exactly what I meant.  Very nice gun.  Keep them coming!

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2023, 12:59:53 AM »
I really like it, except for the muzzle's crown. Sharp cornered as it is, it will cut decent patches upon seating into the muzzle.
That is the only thing I find needs attention. It looks like a nice shooting rifle. Well done. I'm not a builder, just a shooter.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline silky

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2023, 01:41:22 AM »
I really like it, except for the muzzle's crown. Sharp cornered as it is, it will cut decent patches upon seating into the muzzle.
That is the only thing I find needs attention. It looks like a nice shooting rifle. Well done. I'm not a builder, just a shooter.

Hi Daryl,

Yes! I will definitely soften the crown in the manner you explained.  I haven't done much shooting (yet), so suggestions like these are a big help.  Thank you!

- Tom

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2023, 04:16:43 AM »
I don't know enough about building to make any criticism or suggestions.  But I will say I wish that beauty was mine!
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.