Author Topic: I need a lighter rifle  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Stoner creek

Re: I need a lighter rifle
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2023, 12:41:12 AM »
Or a more comfortable blind? This one is fully insulated, has a propane heater and a camo drop cloth to cover the entrance.
While sitting there, I had a black bear stand up in front and look down the muzzle of my .69. It's 104 yards to the bush line
out in front. 125yds to the left hand corner.
Did I mention it is planted in oats?

That’s really good!! Might be a little too close for a fellow my size. I might get a little claustrophobic. Not to mention all of the engineering it would take me to go do a number one!!
 I love hunting blinds!
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Bob Gerard

• Powder Horns and Such
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2023, 03:42:25 AM »
"Bunker Hunting"  8)

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2023, 03:16:50 PM »
Do you rent that out by the day when you don’t use it??b🤣🤣🤣👍

Offline Daryl

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2023, 08:56:19 PM »
I first saw the bear after I walked out the back door to have a leak. After returning to the blind, he walked out in front. I was told not to shoot him, as Quinn's M-I-Law wanted him for
her Christmas cooking. A week after I was there, Quinn's F-I-Law shot it - 5 gallon pail full of fat for rendering. He was a fat one and jiggled when he walked.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2023, 09:10:23 AM »
Who were you thinking of, Daniel? Just curious? ::)
Daryl

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2023, 04:30:09 PM »
I built my son's first rifle using a 38" B wieght .50 cal barrel.  It made for a nice light piece and there will be a noticeable difference between it and the .40 caliber barrel.  I'd have to check it on the scale but I think it weighs around 7 pounds.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Ridgerun

• Starting Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2023, 08:24:08 AM »
I am currently working on a Chambers Little Feller rifle in .50 caliber….34 inch swamped barrel….i am hoping it comes in at about 6 1/2 pounds….an option…i am 73…

Offline TDM

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2023, 08:47:29 AM »
Already mentioned, but a .54 Woodsrunner or a nice .62/20 Trade Gun. Just depends on how far you want to shoot.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2023, 03:10:29 PM »
Wow! Daryl. Now that’s a set up. Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2023, 07:07:56 PM »
Quinn called it "the old man blind".
Daryl

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2023, 09:42:37 AM »
Poor Daryl has to rough it - no bartender, or blond singer sitting in the corner.  And no flush toilet!

As for the OP, I was thinking of some Helium balloons tied to muzzle and butt on that lovely southpaw shootin' iron!  It is a very good-looking rifle; it'd be a shame to cut anything off.  A weather balloon can lift 5 lb. easily!

Like the OP, I've got some spinal problems as a result of some silly war back in '66.  About 12 "procedures", and lots of scars.  And now that danged Agent Orange is pestering my neck bones.  Got some kind of surgery on for Jan. 6th.  Then they are going to talk about new hips...

Surprised me that the Doc actually goes in through the front of the neck; I'd figured, well, those soup bones are just under the skin in the back, it'd be easier!  Nope!  If the go in the back, you're looking at 4-5 days in the hospital, whilst if they go in from the front, it's only one night!  Plus either way, you are in a neck brace for 6 weeks or more, can't lift anything more than 10 lb!  (Checked my .54 Woodsrunner - 7 lb 6.7 oz - but that was unloaded, so figure another half oz or so.  At least it's under that 10-lb limit!)
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Steeltrap

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2023, 03:00:54 PM »
Craig, thanks for your bravery and all the best with your surgeries!

Offline G_T

« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2023, 12:43:21 AM »
This may not suit what you want, but perhaps something like a Kibler southern mountain rifle in the largest caliber you can get it (45), and then cut some length off the front? That would be about as light as you could get, and you shouldn't have to do any heavy wood work. It would end up pointing a little floaty due to lightening the front, but that's the tradeoff. And with shoulder problems - it won't have any recoil to speak of. I know Jim's running a sale on some blems now.

Gerald

Offline Daryl

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2023, 02:17:09 AM »
Poor Daryl has to rough it - no bartender, or blond singer sitting in the corner.  And no flush toilet!

As for the OP, I was thinking of some Helium balloons tied to muzzle and butt on that lovely southpaw shootin' iron!  It is a very good-looking rifle; it'd be a shame to cut anything off.  A weather balloon can lift 5 lb. easily!

Like the OP, I've got some spinal problems as a result of some silly war back in '66.  About 12 "procedures", and lots of scars.  And now that danged Agent Orange is pestering my neck bones.  Got some kind of surgery on for Jan. 6th.  Then they are going to talk about new hips...

Surprised me that the Doc actually goes in through the front of the neck; I'd figured, well, those soup bones are just under the skin in the back, it'd be easier!  Nope!  If the go in the back, you're looking at 4-5 days in the hospital, whilst if they go in from the front, it's only one night!  Plus either way, you are in a neck brace for 6 weeks or more, can't lift anything more than 10 lb!  (Checked my .54 Woodsrunner - 7 lb 6.7 oz - but that was unloaded, so figure another half oz or so.  At least it's under that 10-lb limit!)

Got a propane heater though and just enough room for a cooler! So - roughing it isn't too bad, in the Old Man Blind.
Daryl

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2023, 04:38:29 AM »
This may not suit what you want, but perhaps something like a Kibler southern mountain rifle in the largest caliber you can get it (45), and then cut some length off the front? That would be about as light as you could get, and you shouldn't have to do any heavy wood work. It would end up pointing a little floaty due to lightening the front, but that's the tradeoff. And with shoulder problems - it won't have any recoil to speak of. I know Jim's running a sale on some blems now.

Gerald
When Jim runs a sale on Lefthanded rifle kits I will consider one. Until then I will look elsewhere.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline G_T

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2023, 08:36:26 AM »
Sorry, missed the LH part. My bad.

Gerald