Author Topic: Sight holding fixture?  (Read 1719 times)

Offline J Shingler

Sight holding fixture?
« on: October 10, 2023, 02:59:25 PM »
Hello guys,
I am getting ready to make the rear sight for a couple rifles. In the past I have liked and used the casting provided with the Jim Chambers kits. I really like that sight. For this next project it is not going to work. It will have to be cut out of a block as I need a longer base. So my question for the more experienced builders out there, have you made a holder or jig that makes hanging onto this small piece easier? I was thinking of maybe a couple blocks of steel with a dovetail cut in the top. Then a screw to clamp the two halves together. Then the block could be clamped in a vice. Am I overthinking this? Anyone already come up with something that works for them?

Thanks
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Sight holding fixture?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2023, 03:24:43 PM »
I use 1 inch key stock and a drill press vice.

Offline Metalshaper

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 03:29:45 PM »
J,

my sight holder is made just as you described. One leg is longer and it is clamped into my vise with the shorter leg resting on the jaws.
this allows me the ability to turn it four direction as I work. Not sure its the smartest way, but works for me..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Offline coopersdad

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 04:49:01 PM »
Here's a couple photos of mine, which is like you guys described.  Made from key stock, works like a machinist clamp, allows clamping in the vise at any angle you need. 

Mike Westcott

Offline JPK

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 05:42:36 PM »
Or use a longer piece of material and do all the cutting, file work, and sanding before cutting it off. Then a little touch up of the cut off spot.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline kutter

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2023, 06:29:05 PM »
I sometimes use just one piece short bar of square stock 1/2sq works good usually.
File of mill one end nice and flat.

I sweat solder the bottom of the sight base to the flat.

Then as one piece I mount the bar in a vise and work on the sight base.

I already have the dovetail ends about fitted to the bbl dovetails, but the final fit waits till I'm done with the sight details.
The sight base sitting on that pedestal makes it easy to get at any area an detail.
When you are ready, just heat it upside down and the sight drops off. A little scraping or file work and any excess solder from the sweat soldering is removed.
Ready for final fit in the bbl dovetail.

Works well for other hard to hold parts too that like to run away and hide on you while filing and polishing.

There's usually enough solder left on the piece of bar stock when done so the next time all you need to do is flux the part, clamp and heat to sweat solder it in place.

I also use one of those small vises that clamps on to the edge of a table or a board sometimes.  I have mine clamped to a short piece of 1.5 x 1.5. Then I clamp it by that in my engraving vise when I want to use it.
I do alot of gunsmith work at my engraving bench.

I cut a capture edge in both opposing jaws of that little vise at one end to lock the dove tail edges of sights in.
Just down from the top edge of the jaws.
That works pretty good too  but you are limited by the vise jaws in completely filing and polishing the entire sight/part.

This is a pic of one,,not mine, but similar.
Very common both antique and modern.
Usually not expensive. Very handy to work on small stuff.
Get one where the vise jaws close up squarely so it holds the small parts good.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
I make mine on a mill.  I would do the same if using files and a hacksaw.

I plan my order of operations so that I can hold it by the parent stock for most of it.  At the end I leave the sides parallel to have something to grab.  The very final step is to contour the sides of the buckhorn, I use a vice for that. 

Offline bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 09:06:48 PM »
I like kutter's sweat soldering idea. I do my rear sights much the same as Scota4570, but start with my stock square-cut to the maximum overall dimensions of the sight.  If the order of operations is well planned out, there is no need for a jig.  The one "jig" I do use is an aluminum right-angle triangle a little under 1/2" thick and having a 15 degree angle to simplify establishing the leaf angle.  A piece of 1/2" square stock with a slightly elongated dovetail cut into it makes a decent jig for making front sight bases.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 09:11:44 PM by bluenoser »

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2023, 09:35:12 PM »
This is made from  5/8" square stock.  Drilled with 5/16  hole and hack sawed out. Clean up with a three corner file for the dove tail.  I use a  srew driver to open the jaw to place the sight the vice hods the tension keeping it secure.

Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2023, 11:26:07 PM »
Cut the dovetail in the base of a block.  Install it in the barrel and hacksaw/ file away.

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 01:46:47 AM »
Lots of good ideas here guys. I had the two piece block in mind but never though to have one leg longer to be able to turn to all four sides. Also like soldering to a 1/2" post. Great ideas. Thanks guys!! I got something to work with now.
Jeff
Thank you
Jeff

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2023, 06:49:33 PM »
I mount the sight blank to a scrap piece of cut-off barrel then put it into a vise and shape it to my liking. This also gives me practice doing the dovetail slot. ;)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2023, 03:48:28 PM »

I made this fixture to hold the front sight that I made using the milling machine. Notice the hole in the fixture and associated saw slits. These were put in place to make the fixture somewhat adjustable.
Hope this helps.
CheersRichard

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2023, 04:31:02 PM »
No end of ideas and they work ;D. Winter coming on and not planning any shop work on anything.

Bob Roller

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2023, 05:57:14 PM »
One more version for your consideration.
David

Offline Cory Joe Stewart

• My etsy shop
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2023, 07:08:54 PM »
Dave Keck at Knob Mountain Muzzleloading sales one.  I am assuming he still does.

Cory Joe

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2023, 07:25:29 PM »
That is a very nicely made, easy to use sight holder, Dave.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2023, 07:26:26 PM »
One more version for your consideration.
David

The simplicity of these tools is as Mr.Spock says,"Fascinating".Tools that are smarter than we are is frightening and should be censored :o.
Charlie Daniels is RIGHT!!!!!!
Bob Roller

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2023, 07:40:36 PM »
Nice one Dave 👍
Cheers Richard

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2023, 08:54:29 PM »
Lots of great ideas here. Thank you all. I picked up some steel bits while at the steel yard today. Need to make another steady rest.
Lots of projects ... so little time.  But unlike Bob, my best shop time is in the winter holed up in a warm shop.
Thanks all.
Thank you
Jeff

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2023, 11:50:42 PM »
Lots of great ideas here. Thank you all. I picked up some steel bits while at the steel yard today. Need to make another steady rest.
Lots of projects ... so little time.  But unlike Bob, my best shop time is in the winter holed up in a warm shop.
Thanks all.

I did enjoy winter shop work but my wife has developed a heart problem and takes meds for it but we have looked at our personal situation and are "Empty Nesters"with no debt so I decided to stop shop work.I thought about reviving making bronze bearings for older cars but the cost of bearing grade bronze would allow little profit.Both sons are past 50 and doing well and need no help from us or anyone else.
We have 5 adult grandbrats and 3 great ages 8, 6 and 3 who live near Bill Large's old home.Maybe fossilization has set in but I no longer have the interest in making anything and that includes the locks and triggers I sent to Europe.Those people kept me going because they did not worry about spending a few dollars for a lock and triggers.We have a good "Antiques"area near us and I like to prowl those shops and they all know me and younger owners are coming in and doing well.One of them has quite a number of muzzle loaders in racks and the owner and I went to the CLA Show in Lexington and he bought a few while there.One had a Bill Large barrel 55 inches long,unknown wood and a low end lock and triggers.This for thanks Mr.Shingler for the note and now everyone knows what I am not doing ;D'
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 02:39:59 AM by Bob Roller »

Offline J Shingler

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2023, 08:58:30 PM »
Hopefully did not ruffle any feathers Bob.I was just pointing out I do "my best work" in the winter when I am not as distracted with outside chores and shoots. I am lucky to have a heated shop and that makes a world of difference. My tools don't rust anymore either.
Thanks everyone that commented. I am going to put a couple ideas to work. Here is the first one.
Thank you
Jeff

Thank you
Jeff

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2023, 09:52:51 PM »
 I use a cheap little hobby type cast iron vise that screw clamps to pretty much anything. I just filed a notch in each jaw and was good to go. I think I paid about three bucks for it  at a garage sale. I think if I had to do it over I would file the notches vertically rather than horizontally. Then I could use the other end for something else.
 I also have one of these cheap little vises that I turned into a bullet mold. So yea not many get away from me.

Hungry Horse