Author Topic: Trimming sprue  (Read 4805 times)

Offline flatsguide

Trimming sprue
« on: October 11, 2023, 02:58:03 AM »
How many of you guys trim the sprue remains on the RB after casting. Any accuracy difference between trimmed and in~trimmed ?
Thanks Richard

Offline Jim S

• Starting Member
Re: Trimming sprue
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2023, 03:30:20 AM »
I trim them as close as a sharp side cutting plyers gets. There is still a "nub" on it which I try to have up when loading. It usually doesn't stay perfectly centered up though.
I think they are just as accurate as factory swedged round balls, at least for me.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2023, 04:08:20 AM »
I wonder if having consistent ball weight isn't more important to accuracy than the sprue nub.  :-\

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2023, 04:18:55 AM »
Don’t know Smylee, I’ll weigh a trimmed and untrammeled. Don’t think there is much difference. I generally use a toenail clipper to trim em

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2023, 05:20:28 AM »
I have not tried it with a smaller balls but .662 pure lead balls can have the sprue erased by putting 30-50 in a vibrating case tumbler with no media. Noisy as heck but it will beat the sprues down making them look like the store bought swaged balls. But it will not work with harder alloys like wheel weights.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 09:09:27 AM »
Richard,
If you have a quality mold, shoot them as cast.  If the sprue is excessive, trim that thing!

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2023, 03:28:02 PM »
I wonder if having consistent ball weight isn't more important to accuracy than the sprue nub.  :-\
Consistent EVERY thing IS very important.Powder charge,seating pressure for sure.I have glass vials that I used for weighed powder
charges for a long range 451 I made about 20 years ago and I would use them again if I ever make or buy another rifle.
Bob Roller

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2023, 04:19:51 PM »
Lee molds leave no sprue. Lyman molds leave a consistent sprue. It’s with bag molds that I have to fiddle with trimming.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2023, 05:04:26 PM »
I use a wire cutter\stripper to trim those long sprues. Lightly grip the sprue .with the # 10 or 12 hole and twist the ball.

Offline MeliusCreekTrapper

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2023, 05:26:25 PM »
I use a small side cutter that I ground one side down so that they are almost flat. Just leaves a little peaked point after nipping off the sprue from bag-mold cast balls.

Offline Mike payne

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2023, 08:16:34 PM »
I use Lee molds the ones I have only leave a flat spot on the ball. I just shoot as is.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2023, 08:39:12 PM »
 Since this seems to be the place to expound on round ball theory here goes. I think the only time having a perfectly round ball that’s been cast from pure lead, in a superior mold, weighted, sprues trimmed to the max, and rolled between two pieces of glass, is when your shooting a rifle at long range. I think at shorter ranges before the velocity starts really bleeding of it makes little difference.
 Now where a lot of shooters get it wrong is applying the same theory to a smooth bore. With a smoothie the lead doesn’t have to be pure, the mold can be an old Dixie hair straightener mold, weighing them is ridiculous. you can cut the sprue with a pair of side cutters, and your good to go. The one thing they both have in common is the velocity controls the drift. Rifles have rifling to spin the ball, and as long as the ball has enough spin to keep it steady its accurate , as the velocity, and the spin are are working you get accuracy. But eventually they all drift.
 Smoothbores depend on velocity also to create a cone of energy around the ball that as long as the cone of energy lasts makes the ball fly straight. Smoothies are usually bigger bore, and lighter, and thinner barrels, which means you can’t load them tightly like a rifle. So you load an under sized ball, no patch, or wad, or nitro card, just a over shot card, or a wad made of old wool blanket, or a wad of paper wasp nest. At out to about 100 yards they can shoot very well. Small bore smoothies seem to do a little better and I’m not sure why. But I did see a range committee go over a 28 gauge trade gun for a couple of days before they awarded their prize for best trail walk score.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2023, 09:09:44 PM »
The only sprues I trim are on balls cast in my Tanner moulds. I use wire strippers, twisting the balls in my fingers as I crimp them
onto the VERY large sprue. What I end up with, is a tiny little point of lead, maybe 1/64" in diameter & maybe 1/16" high. I just tap that down with the
jaws of the wire stripper = perfectly round ball.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2023, 10:38:34 PM »
I cut mine as close as possible and then tumble the balls like recommended in the ordnance manuals of the era (or close).
Psalms 144

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2023, 06:50:14 AM »
The only sprues I trim are on balls cast in my Tanner moulds. I use wire strippers, twisting the balls in my fingers as I crimp them
onto the VERY large sprue. What I end up with, is a tiny little point of lead, maybe 1/64" in diameter & maybe 1/16" high. I just tap that down with the
jaws of the wire stripper = perfectly round ball.

Good idea. Never thought of wire stripper for sprue removal.
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Daryl

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2023, 07:10:33 PM »
I cut in 1/2 way, they turn the ball in my fingers. Off comes virtually all of the sprue.
The white handled strippers work best as the jaws are even, not offset due to the hinge.
Daryl

Offline JBJ

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2023, 08:52:23 PM »
I found that this flush cutter works for me. These may have come from Harbor Freight - cannot remember. They work a treat.

J.B.

Offline flatsguide

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2023, 06:00:19 AM »
Daryl, thanks, good idea of the wire stripper, I’ll give it a try.
Cheers Richard

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2023, 07:25:18 AM »
I trim when needs be, then put a few balls at a time in a homemade trough with arborite (formica) base, and roll them with another piece pressed down on top of them. Roll in big and small circles for a few seconds, and no sign of the sprue remains.

Saves messing with sprue down or wherever.

Offline JBJ

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2023, 02:52:25 PM »
I'll try again on a picture of the flush cutter I mentioned above. Oops!
J.B.

Offline Crow Choker

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2023, 12:56:22 AM »
That's why I switched to Lee molds for all of my round ball casting. It's been so long since I cast with the only Lyman RB mold I have I can't recall how I trimmed the sprue. Think maybe an old side cutter I found at a flea market that cut really close.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2023, 09:33:35 PM »
I use a number of Lyman moulds & have never been concerned over the sprue. I just put it sprue up and load.
The only sprues I trim or bother with, come from Tanner moulds without sprue cutters, thus they need 'work'.
I also have Lee moulds, which leave a flat spot on the ball, which I also place 'sprue' up. I prefer Lyman mould
designs over Lee. Loading that flat spot to the side, will reduce the size of the ball by up to 4 or 5 thou. To me,
that is unacceptable. I like to win events I enter.
Daryl

Offline Jerry

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2023, 12:41:26 AM »
I use a pair of Tanner side cutters. One side is ground flat. Works very well. Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2023, 09:14:44 AM »
Still end up with a flat if using side cutters.  I prefer to end up with a perfectly round ball that can be introduced any which-i-way.
This works especially well when making up paper ctgs. for hunting.
Daryl

Offline Bsharp

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2023, 10:44:06 PM »
I ground one side flat and sharp[side cutters], making them a flush cutter.
Get Close and Wack'em Hard!